Eye Tracking Fix Update:

Amazing,

You are more dedicated than Pimax is supporting their own eye tracker.

Pimax also seems to agree since I’ve seen PimaxUSA frequently forward people to this thread when asking why eye tracking doesn’t work.

Pimax should take a Bethsda like approach and open it all up to modding officialy.

If the don’t want to open source they should at least provide an SDK do we can do it ourselves.

E.g add support for Viveport in Pitool.

6 Likes

Well
The eye tracking software is NOT made by Pimax. It is made by 7invensun.
So it is up to 7invensun to make it public or not.
and seeing as the 7i and pimax partnership seemingly died with the 12k being with Tobii

I doubt any official 7i updates will be out any time soon because of that.
and 7i won’t get in contact with me about opening up some of their software to make it easier for me to work with. And so. Updates are quite time consuming for me to work on haha

7 Likes

I would think that 7i would want their products to work

Kind of surprising. Arent they working with HTC?

1 Like

Yes they are working with HTC now.
But seeing as this is a product for pimax and not htc. their pimax products are not practically abandoned

2 Likes

it’s weird because despite being a Pimax product the leap motion is very much just a Leap Motion.

2 Likes

Yes very different business practices, but it is how each company runs their business differently. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Doing god’s work @guppyexpress !

We have been playing around with the Droolon F1 with various headsets for computer interaction and it feels like magic (when it works). We’ve been trying to get it to run on Android/Snapdragon-based devices (G2, Quest, Focus) during runtime but have come across difficulties with getting the Android Runtime SDK from 7i - would appreciate your thoughts / any resources you have that you can share with us.

2 Likes

Welcome to the OpenMR!

I have bumped your user level by one for your convenience. Nice to have another Developer in our forum!

:beers::sunglasses::vulcan_salute::sparkles:

2 Likes

Hey Ya! sorry for the late reply, i didnt get this notification. Ive actually put it in my to do list to have it run on an android based system, was going to actually do that after i finished re building the calibration software :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Good to hear. Finally managed to get the latest Android Runtime SDK from 7i and have managed to get it running on the Quest (albeit only with Unity 2019.3.3 so far).

We’re still working on getting a coordinate output. GetGazeRay(out Vector3 origin, out Vector3 destination); doesn’t seem to be working - will keep you posted.

3 Likes

very interesting. i havnt been able to get it to run on anything atm haha. but please do so, keep me updated. ill see what i can do with it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Other than Neos or VR Chat, is there anything we can do with the eye tracking that’s any fun?

2 Likes

By the way, been messing around a bit but can’t get it working in either Neos or VRChat

1 Like

You can use it for DFR for an increased performance boost on other games

2 Likes

Both neos and vrchat don’t natively support Droolon modules

for vrchat you need an OSC system which you can create on your own, or use the one @Toadstooliv made or the VRCFT OSC.
For Neos you need a mod GitHub - dfgHiatus/NeosPimaxEyeTracking: Integrates Pimax's Droolon Pi1 eye tracking module into NeosVR

2 Likes

I have a 1080ti so no DFR for me but just a single eye tracked game would be nice to play, I just want to play around with the tech but it seems nothing exists outside of hacking chats and DFR

Surfing the web with eye tracking feels like magic (though there’s plenty of progress to be made). Makes you wonder how much longer we’re going to be using mice - it’s practically 2X the bandwidth and thats not even accounting for all the other things we can do with the data down the line.

Which reminds me @guppyexpress , good news, got the eye-tracking runtime to work on basically any standalone headset (running Android) and a pretty clean output. We’re making 3D-printable adapters to be able to use this stuff on any device you could want - this is the future people!

3 Likes

Surfing the web? Do you have a link to something I could try please?

2 Likes

Isn’t ready I’m afraid. We’ll have a demo video (and a working concept) ready by next month. But we’re still some time away from a working release (a mouse that works only 99% of the time is useless, and as it turns out, that 1% is extremely difficult to squeeze out with eye-tracking).

4 Likes

ANNOUNCEMENT
there is a semi urgent update to the eye tracker to greatly improve its performance. please update as soon as possible
more information is located here

https://community.openmr.ai/t/eye-tracking-update-3-8-1/38650

5 Likes