Dust inside Crystal

I just noticed a small black fleck right in the middle of my view… its very small but annoying. It doesn’t seem to be a pixel problem and I did remove the lens and clean it. Can compressed air be used? Is there another glass barrier between the lenses and the display to keep it clean? I’ve submitted a ticket, but who knows how long it will take to get attention or how helpful they will want to be about this. I had a very similar problem on my 8k, but I had it for years before it developed, this headset I haven’t even had for a month.

2 Likes

Keep us apprised, Are you able to capture it in a picture?

1 Like

If using a phone is the only way to do that, probably not going to work… is there a way to take a screenshot with software? actually, If its dust on the qled panel, that wouldn’t show up on a screenshot anyway… I’m hoping that there is a glass divider protecting the panel, and the dust is on that…, if beneath that panel, I’m out of luck unless I send it back.

You can remove the lens by removing the screw that holds the lens.
Inside, there is a plastic plate that protects the panel, and the dust on it can be easily removed.

However, if there is dust under the plastic plate, it cannot be removed, so you need to apply for an exchange.

That’s what I was thinking… I was hesitant to use compressed air when I first opened it up… hoping it was on the inside of the lens… but I only used a microfiber cloth on the lens… next I guess I’ll have to try removing both lenses and give it a good blast of air. If its on the panel or on the inside of that protective divider, I’ll probably have to live with it because it would be very difficult to return from where I live and I would need to figure out how to keep from paying very steep duty a second time. Starting to wish I had waited and bought it from Amazon.

You should wait for a response from our support team after they have reviewed your ticket. If it is determined that an RMA is necessary, you may be able to request to return the headset and have the replacement unit shipped from an Amazon warehouse for your convenience.

Its only been a day and I’m not in a hurry to try and fix it myself unless the support team suggests that I remove the lenses and use compressed air. I will wait to hear their recomendation. Thank you for your reply.

3 Likes

I was able to determine that the dust is the other side of the plastic partition, where you don’t want it to be, but I was not even close to being able to photograph it. Is there an easy way to make the background full white? That would be the first step. I only have my phone without a tripod, but I need to try again. Anyone have luck with this? It needs to be exchanged, but I think I will need photo proof before I will get an RMA.

I guess its time I updated this… I’m becoming a bit frustrated and annoyed… welcome to the club, right? I sent in photos, admitedly not very good ones, but clear enough to show a defective HMD that should not be sold. Its my opinion that a bit of black plastic left over from the milling process attached itself to the inside of the clear plastic protective layer between the lenses and the panel and I told them so. Instead of an RMA they offered me a $20. coupon. I figured this must be a mistake, right? Could they be serious? Maybe its just a bit of compensation for my long wait and inconvenience? I was thinking they should let me keep a battery or maybe the cable as compensation for my inconvenience, as well as the exchange… that would be good customer relations. So I escalated the ticket 2 days ago and now I wait. A customer’s dissatisfaction should be enough to issue an RMA. I’m so dissatisfied with this headset I don’t even want it anymore. I paid an additional $320 import duty and I’m ready to lose that in exchange for a refund. If I want a headset with a dot in the center of my view, I have my 4 year old 8k.

Hi… I’m hoping you can assist in having this headset exchanged. the ticket number is #51719 and I have escalated it. I had a lot of trouble photographing this object as it is not on the lens or on the panel, but on the in-between layer making focusing very difficult. With the human eye through the lens it is black, not blurry, and it blocks dozens of pixels. If detected early enough, it never would have passed quality control. I’m working away from home since mid August and was only able to go home long enough to test the headset and update the firmware. I can pack it back up ready for return by next week I don’t want to use it, I just want it returned and replaced with one that isn’t flawed in this way. Other than that it seems to be working perfectly. Thanks.

Has anyone tried to open up a Crystal to clean inside past the angled clear plastic barier? I know its not recomended, but I’m looking for solutions beyond returning the headset as another 8 days have passed without a reply from Pimax.

Pimax support will try to talk you out of an RMA by offering vouchers (lol) but stick to your guns, keep emailing them and insist they do an RMA. Broadcast your experience with them on social media, reddit etc, keep posting here, you need to make a fuss. I wouldn’t be trying to remove that dust myself, you’ll invalidate the warranty and might break your Crystal.

3 Likes

Thanks, I was beginning to think I was going about it the wrong way… so far I’ve opened a ticket, elevated that ticket and posted here… I also opened a case with PayPal to see if they would help because they can if it hasnt been more than 180 days. They have not responded to PayPal’s request for a reply either. I really thought they were working on improving their reputation for poor customer service, but you could be right that all they might respond to is more online pressure.

1 Like

LOL, what are you supposed to do with that $20? Buy some handkerchieves for your tears? LOL. Please look at this case @PimaxQuorra

1 Like

Hey,

I’ve escalated the ticket to the relevant team. Have you received a response from them?

1 Like

I escalated the ticket by clicking the escalate button and sent an email… but never got a reply… lag time between replies on the ticket platform is very frustrating. This is from their last entry: 'It is convenient to confirm with you whether you are willing to accept our replacement operation for you" its not entirely clear what that means, but it seems positive. I assured them that I am ready to discuss how to go about the return process. Since I am in Indonesia, the duty was $320… Customs will allow a return for repair/ replacement with proper documentation… that needs to happen so that the replacement does not get stopped again by Customs asking for another $320.

The After-Sales team has already contacted me. They will instruct you to ship the defective unit to my hometown in Malaysia, where Customs procedures may be more manageable.

I believe they will provide proper documentation to assist you in receiving the replacement unit without incurring additional duties.

2 Likes

Ok, I’ll wait to hear from them. The headset is packed and ready to go. Thank you.

1 Like

I was contacted by Pimax and given an After Sales Return Form, which is great progress… but they want me to send it back through the post office. Without proper documentation of the return on record for customs, for sure they will treat the replacement as a separate import and I will be asked to pay a second tax on a net of one import. I contacted FedEx, the carrier that that was used to ship the headset to me, and they are treating me like I am a business, not an online shopper. I want to take this opportunity to ask Pimax to never use FedEx for shipping here to Indonesia. It took 11 days of filing paperwork to get this headset through customs and It was horrible. I really do not want to go through that again. I want to be treated like a customer, not a business… I am not reselling this headset and they are treating me like I am. In fact, they told me that if I am not a business they cannot help me return this item for replacement. It was suggested that Amazon might help in this exchange… they are champions at returns… can you please look into that for me, thank you. @PimaxQuorra