Dots on the 5K+ screen

This matrix of dark dots is really like a second layer of SDE.

@SweViver Can you make a photo zoomed in on one of these black dots ?

SweViver mentioned these dots so yeah they do exist and are noticeable if looking for them and studying stills.

But he also said it is not an issue, you won’t notice it when playing and that for me is the important thing.

So it’s fine.

Why no video through the lens comparison do you think ,nda still in place?

Oh God, a new Buzzword: 2nd Layer SDE.

3 Likes

Looks like sh*t really.

One of the backers on the Berlin backer meetup who tried the 5k+ said this about this dot-pattern:

I believe him.

1 Like

I don’t believe until I see with my own eyes.

Are you saying that it transfer from mobil phones

No. I just quoted a backer who tried the 5k+ himself and said these issues are overrated…

I myself think these darker dots are really there but you won’t bother them while playing…

1 Like

They’re definitely there, visible faintly on highly zoomed pictures (and not on the 8k simmilar pics). However, as the 1 of 3 dual testers who saw them mentioned, you won’t see them in normal use, you have to be trying to find them. They’re not an issue, really more like a interesting factoid about how the panels must be manufactured.

I am assuming the brightness controls will relate only to the backlight, in which case there will be no way to adjust for individual pixels.

So why those pixels are darker if the back light is the same for all pixels ?

i was wondering if it was manufacturing or pitool issue as they are pretty much consistant and nothing random

I think they’re too regularly patterned to be anything but a difference in those pixels due to manufacturing or design.

[quote=“Davebobman, post:32, topic:8730”]
I am assuming the brightness controls will relate only to the backlight, in which case there will be no way to adjust for individual pixels.[/quote]
It’s possible. At the factory, analyze the panel and map the dark spots. Then during use, adjust the per-pixel RGB using that info to change the RGB value for the pixel.

[quote=“flobv, post:33, topic:8730, full:true”]
So why those pixels are darker if the back light is the same for all pixels ?[/quote]
It’s call “mura”.

[quote=“dustyearlobe, post:34, topic:8730, full:true”]
i was wondering if it was manufacturing or pitool issue as they are pretty much consistant and nothing random[/quote]
To me, it looks like a panel manufacturing defect.

2 Likes

Was there an official statement on this topic? If not, please Pimax Team, could you answer the following questions:
Is the pattern of slightly darker pixels on the 5K+ screens a known issue and if so, is it software related (and correctable) or a particular property of the used displays?
@deletedpimaxrep1
@PimaxVR

Actually its called moire pattern.
Mura has a completely different meaning originally and just happens to be similar in sound and has been adopted as the meaning of moire in Japanese.

Hi - I asked for an official answer here:

http://community.openmr.ai/t/important-questions-for-pimax/8890/14?u=tris

As far as I’ve understood things, “mura” refers to inconsistencies in the substrate, which results in whole blotches, spanning several pixels, that differ in intensity to their neighbours - typically on OLED panels.

…the we have “moire”, which is the effect when one look through, say two grids, and angle them around, so that you get regions where the two together occlude more or less of what’s behind them, in interesting patterns.

…and we have something like image retention, that is a familiar old LCD ailment, where the liquid crystal layer can end up not fully returning to its non-energised state, after extended periods of a single frame, so that one see ghosts of it, kind of like a watermark superimposed on the image,

…none of which seems to be what we see here, which, as somebody said above, looks more something that reveals something about like a manufacturing process. It appears to be a tiny thing, that occur between pixels, as if the mask is thicker twixt some pixels, in periodic intervals – maybe directly relatable to routing/addressing, or possibly like some subpixels, in like intervals, fade more from the edges, with decreasing intensity, than others.

2 Likes