Does the Pimax 8KX Have Distortions & Blurry Edges? It depends! [NextGenVR]

Many VR users have been asking the question of whether the Pimax 8KX has distortions in the far periphery and edge blurriness. It largely depends on the distance of your eyes to the lenses and the shape of your face. In this video I went over this and also did an FOV test:

16 Likes

Nice! Good watch. I saw someone asked you in the comments that you have an IPD of 63? Is that your near or far IPD?

I have the VRMust leather foam too (as we talked about in another thread). It’s just way more comfortable for me than the thin face foam. But I’ll try this distortion tests when I get my complete PC rig set up this week. Thanks again for the vid!

2 Likes

I think it’s my near IPD because I asked her to measure my IPD for the VR prescription lens adapter I had bought for the Index. Oddly enough while she measured it at 63, StarVR’s eye tracking measured it at 65. So it’s probably somewhere in that range.

1 Like

By the way, I’m getting the Vive DAS to try out in the 8KX. I think if it holds the headset more in place then the nose discomfort would be reduced. Also adding in counterweights to the back would help.

1 Like

Ahh I see. For me, using the Eye Measure app on the iPhone I am far 60 and near 58. So I’ve pretty much dialed the hardware IPD down to the the left-most.

I bought some counterweights already. They are arriving next week as well. At this rate, I will probably be experimenting all week and hopefully by next weekend I can really dive in and enjoy =)

I’ve heard good things about the Vive DAS, but I don’t want to remove the Pimax MAS when I’ll be getting the DMAS eventually, and I’d prefer to have my straps match my headset, lol. But we’ll see how things go~

2 Likes

I think we need to get our eye’s as close as we can to the lenses to minimise the distortion. I see no distortion in normal FOV.

1 Like

What about in Large FOV? I do see distortion in Large if I specifically look at the corners using my eyes. But when looking straight ahead which I do practically all the time the distortion is not noticeable.

2 Likes

I have only tried Wide FOV a few times and It doesn’t look much different to me. Because I wear glasses I am used to seeing a blurry image outside the range of my glasses frames but even when I try and look I see no distortion in wide FOV and it doesn’t even look any wider to me. If you get your eye’s close to the lenses I think it diminishes the difference between normal and wide FOV in my opinion.

1 Like

It will be different for each person’s head shape.
For me thin foam is too close, I need thick foam.
I’ve ordered the VRMust foam, hope that will be thick enough.

6 Likes

Exactly. It’s the “lense” (eyeball) to lense distance that matters… :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Yeah I think you need to get as close as you can until your eyelashes touch.

1 Like

Point is it depends on how “deep” Your eyeballs are relative to Your forehead and cheeks which the headset rests on.

That’s also the reason since people need extra distance in the bottom for example.

There must be an “optimal” distance between eyeballs and lenses and that’s what we’re trying to reach… How depends on our face shape… :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

That’s correct. And to do that, you might need a face foam that is thinner in some areas and thicker in other areas. Basically a custom made fit.

Maybe Pimax should get a 3D model of MRTV’s head and then send him a custom made face foam for review. They could even offer this as a service to those who need it. @PimaxUSA

5 Likes

Though not nice looking that can be done using double-sided velcro… :slightly_smiling_face:

I suggested to do a thin foam piece and then do different spacers as a solution for not having an eye relief function… :wink:

3 Likes

The VRMust foam is still thinner than the 5k+ foam and velcro combination that I needed. However I’ve added velcro to the VRMust foam, and didn’t see a benefit. Still can’t both eyes in the sweet spot for total clarity when looking ahead, always slightly blurred.

It’s been suggested that the 8KX lens positions is actually some mm wider apart than the 5k+, which is just a bit too far for me, regardless of mechanical and offset IPD settings. I may have been just on the working limit on the old one.

2 Likes

finally someone calls @mixedrealityTV out on his controversial decision to Gimp the 8kX in his test.

EDIT: Damn, I just noticed after watching that video, every time I read a post from you for some reason the voice inside my head goes monotone for immersion. :slight_smile:

i really think pimax should have designed the headset with depth adjustment. Seeing that this is the number one thing most reviewers and people who try it cant get right easily.

I wonder if eye tracking could account for this one day

3 Likes

these ones?
https://community.openmr.ai/t/new-8k-x-mas-counter-weights-available-now/31592

Sometimes I see rainbox colors around menus. Like on my fpsvr menu attached to my hand, I see rainbox colors around the menu and then sometimes it’s not there. Sometimes I also ocassionally see a bright blue line that appears all around the edges of the screen and then disappears. It’s a minor thing but anyone else notice that?

2 Likes

I’m not here to pick on MRTV lol. I like his channel and content. Just giving my theory as to why he had this subjective experience in his headset.

2 Likes

I like his channel too, but I think he was being more “subjective” than normal lately due to his recent “controversy with Pimax”

2 Likes