Do you like your Pimax 8kx?

Are you satisfied with 8kx??…and how do you want us to enhance the experience?
We will tell the engineers to develop better products.

----------------------Everything is to get together in the VR world

7 Likes

Really reallyreally look forward to a better VR device to drink content :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Lol,if i like it?I love it!!!The only thing i dont like is the poor sound.I actually payed for the better audio option extra 100$,but Pimax send me standard version.

1 Like

It will be sent later:
https://community.openmr.ai/t/my-8kx-experience-so-far/32444/2?u=drwilken

3 Likes

Yes, I’m really enjoying it.

For future headsets to make better develop new lenses and improve the headstrap balance point and/or make the headset lighter.

3 Likes

Yes I really like the headset. Necessary improvements would be better lenses to increase the size of the sweet spot and making the default audio better.

The clarity in the headset is amazing but it is only clear like that in a small area of the view. The clarity really drops off quickly when you move your eyes away from the center of the screen.

The default audio provided is not sufficient for a premium priced headset. Your proposed DMAS audio solution should have been standard on the 8KX. The SMAS solution should have been kept with your budget headset options.

Other than that you have provided a really nice headset.

10 Likes

No not really. I can only get 1 eye in focus, Mura is bad and the audio is absolutely awful. The sweet spot in the clear eye is so small it makes the clarity insignificant. The SMAS is the most uncomfortable thing I’ve ever come across with the word comfort in its description. If i could see clearly through both lenses the tiny sweet spot would make the FOV pretty much the same as every other HMD out there that i’ve tried. So overall no I don’t like my 8KX :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you for letting me know.

2 Likes

I’m a bit confused, are you a Pimax employee hammerhead_gal? It’s just you say ‘and how you want “us” to enhance the experience’. It would be great if you are and you are engaging with us like this!

1 Like

She is and employee, yes.

1 Like
  1. HDR OLED with RGB stripe pixels arrangement
  2. fix lenses design finally, it works but it’s too complex to maintain sweetspot & we need both eyes in focus solution for lenses, not to put both lenses on min distance & spoil 3d geometry perception to get both eyes in focus at once
  3. fix mura, it’s a shame that nowadays it’s still the case - panels should be calibrated on factory stage to get rid of it & get strong brightness without mura

optics & drab & dull + washed out screens with wrong colour reproductions is what makes me do not use Pimax, although I have 3 Pimax HMDs as liked FOV, design & idea, but picture quality (not the resolution & SDE but overall perceived experience) is poor, you can check Vive Pro for reference. if you can have everything like in PRO in terms of contrast, colours, brightness but increase SDE & resolution significantly, keep black smear as the same level & provide decent sweet spot + godrays free image or same level as in 5kXR or 5K+ it would be a very promising HMD.

8 Likes

IPD range to go lower, and eye to lens adjustment.

6 Likes

Face foam needs improvement. You also need to ship more than one size with package. It seems that for some heads having the foam be wider near the left and right edges would make the fit better.

(Having the foam be uniformly thicker would change the sweet sport for people that just need more side cushion.}

5 Likes

If i where pimax i would choose to improve the lenses first above anything else, and offer them as lensmods.
I do like the 8kX, the clarity is amazing, but as said before it’s within a very small sweetspot, wich for me is immersion breaking in a game like elite dangerous,where you look around the text becomes blurry fast. It feels cramped and immersion breaking to use your head to focus on things and keep looking straight ahaid all the time
In games like skyrim and race and flightsim it’s no problem for me and the 8kx really shines.
For watching movies, the clarity is also really good but again the lenses bring it down, there is to much glare and sort of dirty lens effect, wich reminds me all the time i’m looking trough lenses and i’m not really there.
So for me the 8kX is a great device but the lenses bring it down, i would pay a few hundred to get cristal clear lenses. the device deserves it.

11 Likes

… Eye Relief Cowling (adjustable distance to lenses)… :nerd_face:

16 Likes

I have finally found a satisfactory comfort level adjustment and sweetspot clarity on my 8KX and have been dazzled by HL:Alyx in my 2nd full playthrough. As most mention, it can take days or weeks to find exactly what suits you personally the best, so try not to give up. A combo of hardware and software tweaking where suddenly it’s just …wow. The sweetspot is still way too small though and requires constant hand adjustments to keep it there depending on the gameplay intensity of the title that you’re immersed in over an extending session.

Sony got comfort right the first time- in their very first attempt at engineering a VR hmd in the beginning days of VR 2016. A headband design and ratchet wheel at the back for tightening the band as well as the ability to slide/adjust the hmd distance from the face, this is huge for comfort and sweetspot/clarity dialing in. Picture was lower resolution sure, 1st gen after all, and fov was like 95 degrees. BUT the comfort was 2nd to none. No other hmd I’ve tried has come close since. Amazing ergonomics. I can’t wait to see what Sony reveals in the next year or so after the PS5 drops this November.

4 Likes

I like the 8kx quite a lot, but I have spent quite some time adjusting it. There is quite a bit of different theories floating around on how to adjust the IPD, software IPD. Currently I’ve tuned it for max clarity and it looks good. Still some claim that that’s not how the headset is designed to be used and this will affect 3d geometry. Some clarification on this would be great. Anyways, when using the comfort kit I would like the foam to be made modular. So foam for forehead is its own piece and in different thicknesses. Lower foam pieces the same. Currently I have built up the pieces of foam that rest on my cheekbones. I could probably use a thinner foam just for my forehead as well. I think this would make it easier for a lot of people to adjust the headset. So in total 3 pieces, 1 forehead and 2 for cheekbones in 3 different thicknesses.

6 Likes

On my Artisan (my X is still with FedEx) I’ve always used just 3 pieces of hand cut foam each about 2 inches long. Two about 10mm thick on the bottom resting on my cheak bones and third only about 5mm think for my forehead (that crushes down to about 2mm when wearing I guess). I also use a counter weight with a piece of foam stuck to the top of the strap to take some of the weight (even with the lightweight artisan) and it balances perfectly and gets me right into the sweet spot and stays there. Planning on using the same concept for the X - adjusting foam as necessary (just hope I can get it working as well)

2 Likes

I suggest using conform (sic. Edit: should read CONFOR) foam for the face foam. It will adjust itself naturally to the contours of the user’s face. I put aviation conform in the seats of my 64 MGB mostly for their higher ability to protect the driver/passenger from excessive impact loads over bad bumps.
But it should work really well in the headset foam.
Cheers

2 Likes

Yes,new girl of this company