DMAS audio review

Yeah unfortunately out of the box it is not something that has any wow effect. Unfortunately pimax did not learn from the complaints on the Kdmas regarding no lateral adjustment toward ears. Which was also a complaint from a smaller pool on the Index. Also seems that pimax should have tried a stronger amp and/or used the 4Ohm BMR vs the 6Ohm to achieve overal louder volume as I cannot see too many not having to use max volume

2 Likes

I will be modifying the KDMAS on Index loudspeakers.

I havenā€™t received the DMAS yet. I will report.

but I will still build my own DMAS with an index solution.

because bass is also very important to me.

3 Likes

The DMAS has arrived.

I will test it and give feedback right away.

5 Likes

Where there any hinges in the package for the MAS ?

2 Likes

Hmā€¦

itā€™s very sobering.

if i rated it from 1 to 10 then it would look like this.

index = 9 points
KDMAS = 7 points

vive deluxe audio strap = 6 points
DMAS = 5 points.
Oculus Quest 2 = 4 points

The bass is missing. Middle and height are actually good.
But the bass just isnā€™t there.

why do I rate it worse than the KDMAS?

there is a point deduction because the bass is missing. Not enough even with Boom 3D.

then there is another point deduction. Because it rustles and beeps when no sound is played.

by and large ā€¦ I donā€™t think DMAS is good either.

we have a great headset and poor to mediocre audio.

Hinges are not included.

a shame.

8 Likes

Its a real miss then,they could have been great with some good enginering.

2 Likes

The extra sounds you have when not playing is odd as mine seems clean. Maybe other usb devices or noise on the 5v rail maybe? I only have pimax usb receiver for mouse/keyboard and Game pad hooked up atm.

Bass I found improves if you close your finger to almost touch your thumb. So a pipe/closer to ear will help(if you have kdmas try the cushion.

Volume is low though for mac volume. So yes underwhelming to what it should be.

5 Likes

I have to say that I am happy with the KDMAS, which makes 1 accessory that pimax did right imho, but only after I 3d printed extensions that put the cups even closer to my ears. Bass is good and mids/highs are more that acceptable for me. Was listening to Spotify last night and sounds great. I have as well enable sound enhancemens in windows control panel for even better bass etc. Very loud as well.

3 Likes

I have now tested the DMAS at Pavlov.

It is terrible!

Find it significantly worse than KDMAS.

I tried Boom 3D too. It is and remains VERY BAD!

I cannot recommend the DMAS.

itā€™s really terrible!

constant whistling in the ears. Iā€™ve already tried other USB locations.

no improvement.

never problems with KDMAS.

It sounds like sound from a tin can.

The DMAS is an absolute disaster!

4 Likes

whistling? I have come across a screachy noise 2-3 times, I think messing with the connectors (twist/push/pull etcā€¦) solves it, otherwise, try power cycle the hmd. Youā€™re plugging both in directly to L+R ports I assume and not using the splitter cable from the kdmas too?

4 Likes

Yes of course.

Iā€™ve tried it with and without a KDMAS cable.

it is better without KDMAS cables. but the whistling is hideous.

Tinnitus

2 Likes

it needs to be without, and ofc Iā€™m probably stating the obvious but that doesnā€™t happen for me, Iā€™m probably explaining it wrong but I thought there is some sort of detection too, so getting the connectors right and power cycling I thought would help for those switching between audio solutions. As I say I have briefly heard the squeal/whistle but cleared it. Your feedback suggest something is wrong overall as they are certainly not that bad so keep messing with connections, try pulling out slightly, twistingā€¦etcā€¦

2 Likes

Iā€™ve tried that for a long time now.

without success. It remains a long time. it beeps ā€¦

And I noticed something else.

The quality of the DMAS is also worse in processing than the KDMAS.

my DMAS has a lot of play. It wobbles back and forth.

The KDMAS is better. It doesnā€™t wobble.

horrible workmanship !!!

5 Likes

My DMAS arrived today. I have not had a chance to test it. If itā€™s good, Iā€™ll use it. If not, Iā€™ll continue to use my wireless headphones. Iā€™ll post again (probably in a few days), once Iā€™ve had chance to use it a bit.

2 Likes

Mine came today and Iā€™m having extremely underwhelming results as well. It must be an install or quality issue thatā€™s causing all the variation in response. In the initial review of this thread he states that the volume is loud enough that other people in the room can probably hear it. But Iā€™m getting almost no volume. Iā€™m not sure if I need to update any drivers, firmware, pitool, etc, but there were essentially no instructions other than replacing the speaker units themselves. I have no bass and barely any mids but that could partially be that I have almost no volume. Also, am I supposed to be using the splitter? Or going direct into the audio jacks? Iā€™ve tried both and theyā€™re both quiet, but I donā€™t even know what I should be using as a baseline why the splitter exists. Any insights?

5 Likes

Me too. Iā€™m not sure whatā€™s wrong. On max Windows volume, I can barely hear it. Itā€™s a bit louder if I cup my hands over the speakers and my ears, but itā€™s far too quiet.

Iā€™ve checked the jack connections, so thatā€™s not the issue. At first, I thought mine must be defective, but it sounds like you have the same problem. If I take off the headset and press my ear against one of the speakers, the sound quality is actually pretty good, but itā€™s way too quiet for gaming use.

Any ideas?

4 Likes

Hi Neal - one thing I noticed was that the volume was quite low until I turned on Windows Sonic for Headphones or Dolby Atmos for Headphones (paid) in the windows sound settings.

I was in game in AMS 2 at the time and cycled through off, windows sonic and Dolby atmos. Both windows sonic and Dolby atmos were the same volume level, much higher than off.

I am having trouble with a hissing/ringing coming the headphones, like tinnitus/ringing in the ears. I have both MAS audio plugged in both sides and I havenā€™t been able to resolve thus far by rotating them or partially unplugging, etc.

4 Likes

Thanks for the tip! Windows Sonic doesnā€™t seem to make much of a difference. However, when I went into Windows Sound Settings (not the trouble shooter), the sound started blaring.

The problem seems to be that the headset ignores the Windows volume setting. I canā€™t tell any difference between 1 and 100, but 0 (mute) does turn the sound off.

What does affect the volume is the 2 volume buttons on the headset.

Itā€™s now usable, but it shouldnā€™t have taken me an hour just to get proper sound. A piece of paper with a few instructions should have been included with the upgrade kit!

At least the sound is pretty good, now that itā€™s finally working properly.

4 Likes

I think in part it is likely because pimax is using Windows USB sound driver vs using there own custom driver; much like how some have issues with the microphone. Not sure if maybe some motherboard components are helping with better quality. But yes the DMAS is underwhelming for what it was supposed to be. Like honestly you shouldnā€™t need to purchase audio enhancement programs to make it reasonable or use cup mods to improve quality of say the Bass or loudness.

Now I donā€™t have the sounds some are reporting when quiet so likely receiving some kind of interference.

3 Likes

Thanks for the corroboration, Pimax and some other idiot here tried to make it out like I was delusional with my feedback / review.

4 Likes