DLSS - supported VR games list [updated]

Is that via a beta branch for NMS or the main branch?

Excited to give this a go after a few years off!

1 Like

Just tried it, DLSS is indeed in there and works. It’s not the beta but the standard version updated today.

5 Likes
  • Screen space reflections (SSR) have been enabled for PC (coming soon to PCVR), next-generation consoles, and Xbox One X.
  • Volumetric lighting has been enabled in VR.
  • Light refraction rendering has been enabled for all platforms except VR on base PS4.
  • Fur rendering technology has been added for all platforms except Xbox One S and PSVR.
  • Target sweeping and hotspot detection in VR now uses the Multi-Tool as the pointer
2 Likes

I just tried this update to NMS.
Good frame boost in pancake mode, and seems to provide a good boost in VR as well.
My problem is I hate playing with anything except an xbox controller, and for some reason they’ve disabled that, and k/b and mouse, leaving only the vr controllers which are horrible (to me, if you like them, all the best to you).
I’ll have to overcome my hatred and try to learn to play with them when not working 7 days a week and I actually have time.

Looked lovely and smooth flying, but I was upside down a lot and rotating wildly, so it was hard to be objective.

EDIT: Played a bit more, cranked settings to “ultra” and still have a better vr framerate than I used to on “compromise” settings (still only 30-37 fps, but that’s plenty for me). Looks superb, plays well, I do love DLSS.
Once (or if) I get my life back it’s probably time to notch up more NMS hours.

9 stars out of 10 for this addition.

3 Likes

I’m actually very disappointed with the NMS update, on DLSS QUALITY the image is really obviously blurrier, and there are artifacts on things like the orbit lines of the planets when flying through space which is very distracting. like i can look at a tree and the ground level trunk is clear and sharp but look at the high branches and they’re blurry. reminds me of TAA almost. (this is compared to playing with AA off until now)

i think next session i will experiment with super sampling over 100% with the DLSS settings and see whats possible

4 Likes

That’s what I feared. I really dislike TAA, especially in VR.

Will have to have a tinker about with it all soon.

getting 90 fps instead of 60 fps when turning the camera very fast in NON vr desktop mode in 4k maxed out on a dense gras planet with my rtx 3090 overclocked with dlss set to quality

so 30 fps more is a great boost . I doubt it is playable in vr ( My guess would be with rtx 5090 so 4.5 years to wait :smiley:

1 Like

Going to have to disagree with you there. Looks quite good to me. I would add that it was a bit blurry after the first run before I fully restarted the game. Now it’s nice and using dlss with this title is highly recommended.

The other improvements are welcome as well such as real fur and the new warping are both excellent among other things. It now has much more use of volumetric lighting - also great.

It’s at a point where you would need to be very picky to find too much fault.

6 Likes

The Nvidia driver released today includes the latest patch for DLSS in No Man’s sky:

Would probably improve the quality.

3 Likes

The Persistence does not require parallel projections and is a pretty good game. I need to get back to it. Would love to try DLSS but still stuck on a 1080ti.

1 Like

I actually had to rerun my tests at one point because I lost track of which images lined up with which NMS toggle I had picked. They’re both incredibly similar, and in the above gallery’s case, “balanced” DLSS is option 2, while TAA is option 1. You can find examples of clean lines and smudgy results in both options

this guy cant even tell the difference between TAA and DLSS Balanced and makes a game in the article about trying to tell the difference. so the narrative he takes is TAA costs frames, DLSS gains frames – they look the same so use DLSS. But I never want to look at TAA.

On flat games like cyber punk 2077 DLSS was an almost lossless boost, I’m not seeing that same quality in VR with the screens zoomed in under the lenses and thats my disappointment…

2 Likes

On the flat game Warzone, DLSS set to Quality on my 1440p monitor actually made things blurrier from a distance without improving performance. When I disabled it, everything looked sharp again. Cyberpunk looks amazing though.

So I think how a game implements their DLSS is critical.

Index, 3090 with latest driver, ss120%, ultra settings and DLSS set on Quality = A fecking blur fest. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Yeah, I never enable TAA in VR . It’s a nasty technique that doesn’t match the needs of VR rendering well at all. It’s a shame it is so ubiquitous in the industry!

For this to work, it needs to beat non TAA native or get close at least. For me anyway.

Still, this is an early example of the tech in VR. Perhaps it can be improved upon as time goes on. Though I do believe DLSS has a temporal nature kind of baked in, which could prove challenging.

2 Likes

This time it’s SURV1V3 's turn

5 Likes

watching this actually has me excited if they ever implement this into vr.

Especially MSFS2020

I’m surprised Digital Foundry hasn’t dug into this yet.

Edit:
Looks like they did eventually.

1 Like

any VR games compatible with FSR?

Sadly FSR is not temporal, so the benefits to VR would be much less than DLSS

3 Likes

after learning more about how FSR works it seems (at least in its current state) not so much a competitor for DLSS but just another AA technique we will hopefully start seeing show up as an option in all games going forward.

Depending on how high youbset it the performance gains at higher render resolutions are up to 200% but with a substantial loss of quality.

Depending on the game the loss in quality may or may not be acceptible.

I’m wondering due to the nature of VR. Would the loss be more noticable since we stare much closer at the pixels in VR?

Or would we actually notice it less because it would be applied pre-warping phase?