Distortion fix: vertical placement on face is PARAMOUNT

Working on it but reception is bad & folks are not poking me. Lol

Could you compile an @ list foe me please. :beers::wink::+1::sparkles:

2 Likes

My concern is this issue is unfairly driven to become the ‘conventional wisdom’ about the device even though dozens and dozens of people when asked about it at the meetups specifically said they had a difficult time noticing it and it was not an issue for them. I count 62 interviews from hands on testing where backers declared that it didn’t bother them at all and 0 where they said it did. Yet 4 or 5 people that post a lot can totally drive what winds up being the conventional wisdom.

8 Likes

But that’s simply always the case on any forum, for any product. Go google any medicine and if you believe the forums, you will almost certainly die a painful death using it, lol. People who experience downsides or problems are the ones feeling the need to post it. If you are completely happy with your purchase why visit a forum.

5 Likes

Comparing your Pimax to a medicines that can cause death? Doesn’t seem to be the greatest analogy to me. It’s more like someone picks up a new smartphone and says it crashes 10 times a day the creates entire threads and in depth discussions on what could cause this thing to crash 10 times a day. If 1% of those who bought it dominated the threads and all the discussion it would probably cause many to believe it WILL happen to you.

Reviewers of that smart phone will scan the threads and make that the phone crashes 10 times a day their headline and poof you have the beginnings of a nice internet domino effect. Dedicated fans of other smart phones will then promote those threads heavily and so on.

1 Like

So what are you saying? Are you suggesting we shouldn’t mention issues (negatives or positives for that matter) we see in a product, however right or wrong we turn out to be or how much an individual might feel about the problem. I don’t like that it hurts my nose but I best not say anything because it doesn’t affect everyone?

In this case a lot more than 4 or 5 people have seen and spoken of distortion. It’s been a major topic all the way through the pimax development process and continues to be noticed by people. The result is its driven some in the community to help with this! Especially as pimax are either busy or oblivious to offer advice on most of our questions.

Fact is this particular issue does exist, it’s not made up. Seemingly things can be done to improve it, I’ve yet to test but I feel I had the HMD in its best position for comfort and visual quality so unsure yet if mitigating one problem doesn’t yet have a trade off with others, but if for the majority this is all there is to it, then we now have possibly some good advice for the next people who mention the problem!

7 Likes

I would never say that issues shouldn’t be brought up. But its important to be very, very careful with conventional wisdom. It’s important to provide context. Of course the distortion issue isn’t made up but it’s also a much smaller issue than one that literally dominates every thread.

I mean my goodness the fellow just tried to compare his Pimax to *medicine that can kill you.

2 Likes

Humor is a difficult thing for you I see. Lol means ‘lots of laughter’ indicating a joke. Sigh. If you can’t understand that product forums aren’t a good representation of opinions because of the skew towards people with problems, so be it.

7 Likes

I thought it meant “Laugh Out Loud”…? :wink:

7 Likes

Haha, same thing I guess. Too bad some people don’t understand it and take everything literal. I mean a great thing happened, people reported a problem and now thanks to this community we have even 2 ways of alleviating it and then some come in here trying to turn it into something negative and pick a fight. Too bad. I mean why are people like superkev even posting here? Are you going to post now in every thread that you don’t experience the problem yourself nor the average user? Go away

3 Likes

Personally, I think it’s a good thing that people weigh in with their personal opinions/observations.

There’s a lot of people here just repeating themselves (not pointing at You), so it’s nice if there’s at least some kind of balance… :grin:

I won’t be receiving the headset for at least a month or two (pre-order) so that’s all I got. Impressions and observations… :+1::wink:

7 Likes

If I were a native English speaker I would have already posted a lot of articles on this issue.
I am very disappointed that no one mentioned this issue early, and this has blown my first impression of pimax 8k.
They are a few, but I am grateful to them.

7 Likes

This issue unfortunatley became blown out of healthy proportions because certain users experienced it, who in different ways are very vocal here: MRTV was one of three testers (and he apparently felt that others must see it too if he sees it), Sjef is in general probably the most active member here after Helio. Had it been two random, not so actively communicating users instead you surely would have seen less spot light. That‘s how things go…

3 Likes

Yeah, I noticed lot of people who got their headsets has vanished from this forum. :smile:

3 Likes

For the wonderful community and maybe to help out some poor soul who need it maybe

:grinning:

3 Likes

Thats why this community exists, to share opinions and report issues. Its good that all issues are reported. With the distortion in mind, its all so different from person to person. I have not yet met a person IRL that thinks the distortion/warp/blur in the peripherals is a problem, but I fully understand some ppl in the forums and online see it as a deal breaker. We are all different. There is no point fighting about it :slight_smile:

Personally Im probably the reviewer/tester that talks less about the distortion than many others, but thats just because I dont see it as a problem at all and I have most likely got used to it through out the months.
Its quite difficult to talk about issues that you personally barely can see for yourself :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Might be a good idea for a up and coming video on your channel? Maybe it could include all the ways it could be reduced… just food for thought.

2 Likes

Yep, not a bad idea! I think its time for an episode 2 of Pimax for Dummies :wink:

9 Likes

Cool… very cool!!! I’ve been looking forward to episode two myself! Thank you!

3 Likes

Just remember to update it in your section of the review directory. :beers::wink::+1::sparkles:

2 Likes

I have experienced that the lens distance from you eyes
affects the clarity, fresnel rings effect. For me lens are too close to my eyes, closer the lens the more pronounced the rings become and image becomes more blurry. Pulling the hmd away it becomes much more clear and rings disappeared.

So in my case the facepad is too thin for me, I made some adjustments to loosen the strap so lens ain’t so near my eyes, and wow… the most clear vr experience yet in skyrim.

In short ,addition to the vertical placement of hmd and ipd, also check if pulling the hmd away/push into your face helps with clarity.

8 Likes