Distortion fix: vertical placement on face is PARAMOUNT

There are quite a few ways that Pimax can improve this:

1. Release the deluxe headstrap and make sure it is adjustable so users can adjust the headset position vertically and horizontally. Probably tilt too.
  2. Make the distortion profile user editable. Maybe create a UI / config program with controls that allow users to adjust distortion profile in real-time.
    A simple UI might have sliders to adjust distortion for “Vertical Placement”, “Eye to Lense Distance” etc. So instead of adjusting a headstrap, users would adjust these sliders instead.
  3. Release eye-tracking module and implement dynamic distortion profile, adjust according to eye/pupil position.
  4. EDIT: Another easy solution people have suggested is to include many size/shape facepads to accomodate different face shapes. Not the most precise method, but good initial measure.

Solution 2 is the one that is software only and could be provided with just a download. Would be faster to implement since no need to wait for new hardware to be manufactured and delivered. @anon74848233 maybe take it into consideration. (unless eye-tracking module + dynamic distortion profile is coming real soon)

7 Likes

It looks as though the eye tracking module will be shown very soon.

1 Like

This is my personal choice. Waaay faster tracking, no cpu overhead, and less than 10$ instead of thousands.

http://www.adhawkmicrosystems.com

1 Like

I have always pulled my headset up almost to the highest point of my forehead. That’s probably the reason why I perceive little distortion. I’d suggest you try the HTC DAS if possible, it makes the higher position more comfortable and more stable.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ve known about them for a while now.

This seems like a good explanation why people experience so diffrent the distortion.

3 Likes

Are you just slapping the 6mm cover on top of the pimax foam? Does it stick?

Im sure Sebastian was talking about the XTAL in that case. It has slightly narrower vertical fov than Pimax.

Great tutorial btw! This could easily explain the difference between all impressions. All face shapes are different. I may just be lucky having it positioned more correctly (higher) on my face. Maybe because of my big nose lol…

Btw when using my 6mm Vive VRcover on Pimax I get too close to the lenses, eye lashes are touching…

3 Likes

Just remember the fact you are VR Jedi elite. Hell there was a guy on here complaining his Pimax arrived with no controllers… Talk about first world problems :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I just remembered his comment during his StarVR test, but either way, I’m wondering who will solve the lower-vertical FOV considering we’ll always need a gap for the nose.

Also, I taped the 6mm cover onto the Pimax cover to make it thicker. Keep the original on! I had to do this because my glasses touched the lenses.

1 Like

So what does this solve exactly?

Most reviews I see talk about distortion that is pretty ok when you start playing and get used to it.

Does this make it even more ok, like able to play with very few immersion breaking issues on large mode?

Well if you wear the HMD too low on your face and look at for example a tree and then move your head left to right, the tree would bend. If you wear it correctly that doesn’t happen anymore.
However there’s still some distortion at the far left and right (in normal Fov), where the world ‘compresses’ near the edges. So it doesnt 100% solve the distortion problems, but it’s much better. However after some playing around the remaining distortion still kind of bothers me. Maybe I’m just very sensitive to it, but when I put my odyssey+ back on, it all just feels much better. Then again, the distance on the odyssey+ is much more blurry so that’s when I switch back to the 5k+, etc etc etc :wink: I just keep switching HMD’s :wink:

On wide mode I notice pretty much the blurriness around the edges, even when you wear it ‘correctly’, in fact is seems more prominent that way. Wide mode is something I would not use myself.

3 Likes

Guys, what is this ? You must be shitting me !

We almost had Jihads break loose around this bloody distortion issue here and the fix is a f****** nudge to move the headset a bit vertically ?!

Are you freakin‘ serious ???

And all of that one day before Xmas ?!

Okay - I will wake up anytime soon… c‘mon, wake up … this shit is too weird, I should stop drinking if these are the dreams I get…

11 Likes

For me everything looks distorded and not only the sides in the pimax 5k plus…

But thats because these holidays i get drunk and then put on the pimax5kplus… its amazing lol

Great device!

5 Likes

@Heliosurge deez men are missing some pie symbol tags yo

2 Likes

5k+ - here (20 chars)

1 Like

It’s all silly stuff anyway. If you stare at it you can find it. Playing games it’s not easy to see.

2 Likes

Oh I see!! It isn’t the same distorsión that I have. The one that I solved moving away the lenses a bit from my eyes is only in the edges of the lenses. Never in the center. All is ok in the center and around. Only have problem in the edges.

1 Like

Maybe that’s how it’s for you. But even after adjusting the hmd and the distortion is much better is stills feels uncomfortable to me. Maybe i am just sensitive to it but I feel always relieved switching to the odyssey+, although I then miss the sharpness in the distance and of course the fov

3 Likes

I really think that further software will refine a more rock solid convergence of the two eyes.

2 Likes