Dirt Rally Settings 5k+ (update thread)

Hi Guys, this is an update to my original thread (https://community.openmr.ai/t/dirt-rally-settings-5k-original-thread/15168?u=neal_white_iii) made in February 2019 which contains, in my view at least, the best settings and tweaks to easily and quickly get Dirt Rally up and running in the Pimax 5k+ (This will also work with the 8k but may need slight adjustment). Unfortunately I cant edit my OP so had to put this in a reply. Take this information as superseding all original advice - none of the steps in the OP now apply to this new method.

Before I start this updated guide, my system specs, installed driver versions etc. are as follows:

System specs

CPU: Intel i7 5820k @ 4.4Ghz

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2800mhz @ 15-15-15-34 2T

GPU: NVidia GTX 1080Ti @ 2050mhz Core, 5900mhz Vram @ 1.09v No Power Limit Bios

Drivers (at time of writing)

Nvidia driver 430.64

Pitool V1.0.1.129 Beta

First of all, I strongly recommend running dirt rally via the method first discovered by @park. This does not require revive or Oculus software to be installed or running. It does require the steam version of the game to be installed and for steam to be open, but it does not need steamVR to be running, it runs directly from Pitool but requires some minor tweaks first. To do this, follow these simple steps exactly:

1. Copy both of these dll files AND the steam_appid.txt file to the default directory on your hard drive where Dirt Rally is installed, see my reference screenshot to where this is on my pc, also highlighting the files I just copied into this folder. Do not copy the “Hardware settings.txt” file yet.
    Dirt Rally VR Files Download Link

2. Open Pitool, navigate to “My Games”, select “Import”. In the window which opens, navigate to the dirt rally directory (the same folder as you just put the 3 files above into). Once there, select the drt.exe file to import the shortcut into Pitool.

3. Ensure steam is running, but not SteamVR, then simply open Pitool if not already open and press “Start” on the new drt shortcut you just created. This should launch dirt rally, but it wont be in full VR until you start a race and youre inside the car. Once this is working, move on to my next steps BEFORE doing anything else - ignore the camera position at this stage if its wonky or offset.

4. Now that dirt rally is working, before you launch the game, you must always first turn on your headset with it resting perfectly flat on a level surface. Secondly, it is slightly easier to setup this game without lighthouse tracking, but if you do, before starting the game, wear the headset and sit in the position you will be in for racing. These crucial steps ensure the camera position is always correct. Any small rotational offset or drift can easily be corrected by pushing the “Centre VR Headset” when in game which is part of the in game settings.

5. Now that everything works, here are my recommended settings which have taken hours of tweaking to get the very best results.

First of all these are my recommended settings in the Nvidia Control Panel for Dirt Rally:
Here are my recommended settings for Pitool:

Don’t use smart smoothing – it causes flicker in this game using this method regardless of how the oculus parameters are defined in the xml file.

Notice I use 64hz mode for this game – It is essential to only use a refresh rate which can maintain the full framerate equal to refresh rate as much as possible because smart smoothing doesn’t work in this game using this method. If you select 90hz and you experience frame dips to 75fps, it will be noticeable in this game; if you limit the refresh to 72hz then it will be far smoother. Similarly if you have frame dips to say mid 60s FPS then choose 64hz mode and it will still be very smooth in this particular game.

Now to the in Game Settings:
Navigate to the following file “hardware_settings_config.xml”

Once there, open the file with a text editor, preferably something like Notepad++ as its easier to read but regular Notepad will also work. Delete all text in this file after </audio_card>. Replace it with all of the text within my file which was provided earlier “Hardware settings.txt”. Save the changes to the “hardware_settings_config.xml” and then run Dirt Rally! Enjoy amazing graphics AND smooth gameplay in all scenarios day or night with all weather effects!!

Finally, for those who have lower system specs than me and need more FPS, the only settings I would recommend touching in order of making significant FPS gains are:

• Ground cover to OFF (but it will look very bland!)
  • Set Night Lighting in game to Medium instead of high (only if you get localised FPS dip during night events when driving past heavily lit and crowded areas)
  • Particles to OFF (this affects things like water splashes, snow drift impact and dust trail behind car etc and gives a general FPS boost in all situations.
  • Shadows to LOW
  • anisotropic min=“8” max=“16” (reducing min to 8 from 16 can help in some scenarios)

For those who have beastly systems and want a few extra visuals at the cost of significant FPS drop you can adjust the following:

• cloth enabled=“true” tessellation=“true” (This controls whether you can see red/white tape and flags which spectators hold). It costs a lot of fps for what it is.
  • Particles to “high” in game
  • Crowd to “High” in game
  • Ground cover to “High” in game
15 Likes

Now that’s what I’m talking about. You just made my day. Not sure where my setup was lacking as I had most of this in place already but dropped in your text file and got rid of my lag. Thank you very much.

1 Like

VR without 6dof is like a car without wheels. You really do need lighthouses.

The rest is very helpful. Thanks.

3 Likes

Agreed. You only need 1 lighthouse (for a seated experience), but you do NEED it.

I lost tracking last night for a bit and it’s weird, you lean forward to read the controls, and they recede into the distance, so you can never get any closer.

4 Likes

Thanks @AndrewUK1990 for those clear settings. It works really smooth. What are you using to look your fps in Dirt Rally? Cause fps vr needs steam vr.
I loved this game on monitor, but in vr it is much much better. I can feel the speed, naturaly start braking at the right time and use handbrake in those tight corners. One more question - how to make my wheel movement the same as in game?

BTW : Just uploaded my short Dirt Rally Vr - through lenses + 2 dof montion test video at YT : Dirt Rally Vr - Pimax 5k through lenses & 2 dof montion test - YouTube

not a clean ride this time, sorry :slight_smile:

4 Likes

My comment regarding lighthouses is a little misleading, I meant to say “it is easiest to setup without lighthouses” not better. I’ll correct that. Agreed it is better with lighthouses, just not essential in my opinion if users don’t have any yet.

Hi @Mekis to make the in game wheel follow the real wheel, you must turn off the drivers arms in the in game settings. It’s in the same menu as choosing gearbox settings etc if I remember correctly and towards the bottom of the list. Unfortunately codemasters didn’t provide an animation for the drivers arms beyond a certain point which is why the wheel on game only goes so far with his arms showing.

For FPS fraps actually works in this game. It reports the fps at the monitor but the value given is of the rendered FPS which the headset sees. This isn’t usually the case when I’ve used steamVR games but it is for this one using this method.

2 Likes

Nice. I love the Finland tracks. Crazy big balls jumps.
How do you like the 2dof motion? There’s one I can buy with reasonably nearby support and returns which I would want with my first motion rig but wonder if I’ll immediately thirst for more degrees.

3 Likes

@Yata_PL does 2080ti can handle 2560x1440 @72fps? I need to give someone to drive to watch fps on monitor :smile:

1 Like

I love my 2 dof becouse is half DYI :wink: and great addition to VR.
Ofcourse I would like to have 6 dof with long travel range but right now have no space in my apartment for that beast.

Working on new place to live :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you so much,

I just finished installing Dirt Rally and it works smoothly, real fun.
I still think that flight sim is better in VR but no complain either. I just wonder: does anyone have time to watch the scenery while driving :thinking::grinning:

Cheers

2 Likes

Yep. As in real life, my movement inside a rally car isn’t 3dof.

4 Likes

Thank You so much @AndrewUK1990 !

I just spent the last few hours in Dirt Rally… :sunglasses:

With Your settings as a baseline and a few tweaks here and there it really shines. Wow! :+1:

5 Likes

I’m thinking about that resolution. Is it only for desktop window? Or it’s for HMD? Because changing resolution I can’t see any or big difference. Also FFR is working in this game or not? And how to know if it works or not? Sad thing that even 2080ti can’t give large fov @72 fps. Large looks much more imersive than normal.

Many thanks for this Andrew, this is some really helpful settings and recommendations. Gonna give this a go :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Have you tried applying the “DEFAULT button” trick i showed in a previous video using any Overclocking software? It boost the GPU utilization to 95% or so, and got me a nice boost in framerate in many games and sims!

1 Like

I saw those videos, but didn’t tried it. Don’t know why. Maybe because it runs without steam vr. Will try tomorow.

This “tweak” works for non-steamvr titles as well, such as DCS World. As long as you have a “low” GPU utilization like 70-80% there is a lot of performance to be gained :slight_smile:

1 Like

No Problem - glad to be of help. Let us know how you get on with your setup as it will be interesting to see what FPS you manage compared to my older system. I tried your tweak method (excellent find by the way!) of utilising the GPU further (it usually sits around 70-80% in Dirt Rally) but unfortunately couldn’t get it to make any difference on this game. It does work for me in other games including DCS, but the end result for me does not really help much as I cant maintain the refresh rate in DCS regardless, so then I end up with double imagery etc when the GPU runs at 99%. I dont get this problem when the GPU runs without the tweak at ~70-80%, all be it with a lower but smoother framerate. I think if you can maintain the framerate at refresh rate it is an excellent tweak, unfortunately I just dont have enough power in games like DCS. I only play sims in VR and these are the ones that need the most power too - hopefully it will be something Nvidia can improve in future drivers.

2 Likes