Dialing ipd correctly and a few other questions from new Pimax user

I didn’t really try to close one eye. It feels like the effect is coming from the middle of the screen when I have both eyes open. e.g. during beat saber when blocks are coming at me it feels like looking a bit more to the sides makes the effect a bit weaker. It’s really hard for me to tell how to describe it as it’s the first time I experience something like this. I’m going to try and dial IPD more tomorrow. Who knows. Maybe it’s still IPD issue. I actually had to adjust both IPD offsets and vertical offset too (I think the value was -1.8) That kind of aligned the base station between VR and real life vertically. I’ve also tried a different face pad(thicker one but it really didnt make much difference after setting IPD on that one either)

1 Like

@guppyexpress does have beatsaber mod that removes the need for parallel projections setting and if this effect is more in beatsaber it is possible it might fix the issue you describe.

Would it seem similar to a lens flare?

1 Like

It feels like it could be a lens flare. I don’t mind running parallel projection. The resolution bump with it on using normal fov still allows me to maintain 90hz. I will try it out tomorrow. I know that I felt similar thing in Asseto Corsa. The middle of the screen had that weird “glare” as well.

1 Like

The mod also gives a performance boost as well iirc fixes some display artifacts/issues.

I apologize but did you say your ipd is around 60?

Yes. I used the ruler method. It’s 60-60.5. I’ve used this in my valve index and it was working fine.

I think I got it. I used this exact post this time MRTV: Pimax IPD Tutorial - How To Set Pimax 8KX IPD Offset Correctly! No More Eyestrain! - #22 by blanes

While the base station wasn’t fully aligned physically vs the real life (a bit lower and more to the right side in VR) I still haven’t feel any strain in Beat Saber, Pop One, Space pirate trainer. I also turned PP on for Beat Saber and that weird unexplainable glare thing is gone. I can only faintly notice actual real glare of the lenses but it was similar in Valve Index so it doesn’t bother me.I set physical wheel IPD to 60,5 mm. Software: 0.7 right eye, -2.0 left eye, 0 for vertical offsets.

I did that with a thin face pad but I’m going to try and redo the setup of IPD for thicker pad since my eyebrows are touching the lenses which fogs them up at the top. If I dial IPD in with thicker pad then I can keep the headset. I will just 3d print the hinges for stable strap and use the Quest strap mod. Eventually I will also buy leather pad for the facial interface to deal better with sweating.

3 Likes

Hey. I think I still have an issue after all. Currently the problem seem to be a huge smearing issue when I turn my head even slowly. Entire image (text especially) turns into blurry spaghettified mess. I can’t really explain what is going on here.

Also do you know how comfortable is the oculus quest 1 strap mod for pimax 8kx. I see it as the cheapest and most viable solution but I wonder if it can withstand pimax weight.

For the Quest 1 Strap @Ludiks I think has experience and iirc made an adapter as well.

I haven’t experienced the head movement smearing myself. But am only running 75hz as 90hz is unavailable on my setup.

2 Likes

Unfortunately I had to return the headset.my friend came over. We tried to set IPD for me and for him as well. Nothing worked for any of us. He has even lower IPD than me. I guess it’s the face shape plus how deep the eye balls are.

I will be waiting and hoping that 12k will have a better compatibility for various IPDs. Eventually I could think about crystal. Do you know if the wider fov lens 35ppd one) has the same fov as index? If that is the case it would be enough for me for comfort I guess.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.