Device Detected as Illegal, please contact after sales support message when starting new pitool 262?

Hi everyone,
I recently got a Pimax 5k+ (in an artisan box by accident) and everything was working fine except a failed .264 firmware update when i first plugged it in. Support sent me firmware 267 to use, which as been working fine. I was on pitool 261 beta and that was working fine as well. The moment i updated today to the stable .262 version of pitool, this message comes up and closes down pitool. “Device Detected as illegal, please contact after sales service…”
Anyone know what the issue is? Could it be a mismatch on the firmware somehow?

EDIT: It ends up they’re storing serial numbers in their servers now and if it happens, it must be updated on their end.

4 Likes

Yes, I just updated to 262 and I am also told " your device is detected as illegal".
Pimax 8k be.

2 Likes

I found someone else in discord mentioned the same thing and he got his hmd yesterday. It seems to be recent headsets and any one they dont have the serial number recorded from. Write to support. They said they updated mine but it’s still not working on my end…

You may want to downgrade to the previous version in the meantime.

3 Likes

Do you suggest that the new PiTool is reading the serial number of your device and sending it to Pimax server online? Is it somehow explained to the user in the UI?

3 Likes

That is absolutely correct. They’re checking our device’s serial number.

6 Likes

Given the performance in the new 262 is awful, worse in both framerate and judder than 261, they can stuff it.
I’m rolling back to 261.

4 Likes

It seems this particular detail did not make it into the release log :slight_smile:.

10 Likes

This is the real bad news…

2 Likes

This will be real nice for someone just buying the device 2nd hand, they will believe its stolen. There they go creating more work for themselves, again.

7 Likes

This update has improved performance and gpu usage incredibly!

Amazing work!!

3 Likes

Pitool 262 Turbo…

1 Like

same for me , not working, my hmd is illegal

1 Like

So just as an update mine is fixed and the update works. It ended up when i ordered my artisan (which i already knew this part), i got a 5k+, but it also ends up that the serial number on the box is an artisan, the serial on the hmd is for a 5k+, but the actual serial number of my headset is different than both.

Go figure their mess up.

5 Likes

The new Pittol 262 seems like they put catalist on 10 and left it without the ability to turn it back down . Thats where the extra gpu usage comes from and with it the stutters come aswell .

2 Likes

I bought my 8k on ebay.
Legally.
And, translation issue or not, to be accused of having an “illegal” device is frankly insulting.
I’m not contacting their support, they messed it up, they can sort it out.
And to demonstrate how useless this update is, you can still run games, just dont click on the “illegal” message.
Pitool is still running, even with the message up.
What you can’t do is change any pitool sttings, of course.
But the games can be run through steam or via desktop shortcuts.
And every one of my 3 “reference games” (No mans sky, Skyrim, Project cars 2) when using 262 ran at a worse frame rate, and with much worse judder than 261.
I’ve rolled back to 261, and now have NMS at a rock solid 40 (via SmSm) with zero judder.

5 Likes

Yes but you cant use pitool’s settings.

1 Like

If that’s the case wtf would they release it as “stable”

1 Like

Could an official statement from Pimax explains on what criteria a HMDS serial is considered “illegal” ??

2 Likes

I didn’t like the fact that the Pimax “Experience” could alter PC files, and now this.

3 Likes

I don’t like this at all. If the server is down (or Pimax goes out of business) will the headset be unusable?

13 Likes