Crystal Videos From the Test Group

He’s using MSFS but doesn’t say what GPU he’s running. The screen shot shows around 80fps.

3 Likes

the 8kx has 109 +/-1 vertical rendered.

The Crystal in the optimistic manufacturer’s data is 110. Measured values are slightly lower, so that fits.

1 Like

Ha!!! Omg, this is actually amazing. I can’t believe they are putting a sticker on a 1600 buck device. That’s actually amazing.

You were completely right Atmos. I am going to regret that bet when my crystal arrives, maybe I’ll use that as an excuse to not get it lol.

Afaik…that’s actually still not a retail unit. Which means there’s at least hope for them to not use a sticker in the final verson lol, but joking aside it really does seem like a sticker. I am in absolute shock. It seems like a small thing, I know, but it’s still so shocking. I could be wrong but I think the Chinese testers got roadshow models, although the hardware should be the same as retail tbf. I guess that’s part of why they didn’t get the 42ppd lenses in the box.

2 Likes

I mean, what are they actually protecting with that sticker?

2 Likes

Thats the LH mask

Well, maybe they actually listen to us here in the forum, because I was the one who kept suggesting that we don’t actually need 42PPD lens. :smiley:
At the same time I am curious about this thing in the 2nd video:

So maybe Crystal has a sensor for nose and mouth tracking as well ?

1 Like

That looks like a thick foam on the mask as well. I wonder if the 8KX foams would fit the crystal? I’d like to have a couple foams in differing thicknesses to see how that affects FOV and clarity. It makes a big difference in my 8 KX.

2 Likes

He’s wearing the headset tilted upwards maybe that’s the cause of lesser vertical FOV?

2 Likes

That’s for the new feature they’re going to unveil. VSMELL
Now you can smell when NPCs fart in the games you play :crazy_face:

1 Like

99% sure that’s just the proximity sensor for turning off and on the headset. Afaik the qualcomm reference designs place it there.

6 Likes

Hey you got a whole new kind of "sticker shock: :grinning:

1 Like

GPU: 4090
CPU:13900k

3 Likes

Quest 2 doesn’t have this sensor, and proximity sensors usually are not this big. Just take a look at your cellphone’s proximity sensor and you will know what I meant. They are tiny.
And there is just no reason to make it an independent and intruding part, if that’s just a proximity sensor.
I do think that should be a mouth tracker, because now I realize that the position of this sensor is perfect to look at your mouth.

can also be a finished module, which simplifies assembly. the 12k and crystal share the base. not much space in the 12k.

2 Likes

Quest 2 does have the sensor, it’s built in above the number indicator for the ipd. Rift CV1 has it in a similar location.

The nose location is not typically done but you can see it in Qualcomm reference designs iirc. It’s a bit large yeah but not unbelievably large or anything. Originally I think people thought it was face tracking but that seems to have been dropped quietly from the crystal.

1 Like

What is this a picture of and from? Looks like a 8kx with a nose sensor…is that a 12k?

the picture is taken from a rendering video of the 12K, the second picture is from the Pico4

the sensor is covered to prevent standby…