Crystal Videos From the Test Group

I wouldn’t expect the battery to drain at all while in tethered mode with a cable that’s providing juice to the headset.

Let’s pretend it’s a PIMAX 8K. There’s no battery right? Yet you can keep playing as long as you’re connected to your PC.

So why would the Crystal, when connected to the PC, require a battery to be involved?

Seems to me a poor design, if that’s the case.

Crystals been designed around the XR2 chipset and uses more internal devices like eye tracking, Wifi6e, 4 external cameras, local dimming LED which I would guess all needs extra power compared to the 8k.

Early on in the roadshows we heard the Crystal was freezing up or turning off randomly. Pimax said the current 3in1 cable was the cause and the USB did not have enough power to keep it on.

Maybe Pimax can streamline the Crystal to make it run more efficient in PCVR mode. Who knows.

1 Like

the 8kx (2076) has peaks of 1.2A and does not need to charge a battery. if I had to change the battery, even while the device is being powered by a power supply. uncomfortable. let’s wait for the finished crystal…

I’m not sure what the facts are… We do know for certain that the Crystal requires more power than the 8KX, but I thought the double cable was more about using two 1.4 DP’s for more bandwidth as well.
This IS confusing.

2 Likes

The Chinese testers have the finished one afaik.

1 Like

Finished cable or Crystal?

Both, they are paying customers. At least that was my understanding.

1 Like

Update:
An Review of Crystal:小派水晶vr头盔简单测试 - 哔哩哔哩

4 Likes

please have a look at the entry of hammeread_gal. the device of the Chinese tester is a pre-production model. to assume that it affects all the Crystals that are in circulation. (Speculation)

1 Like

I participated in the Crystal test in Tokyo and had to replace the battery even though it was connected to Gaming PC.
I really wonder if PIMAX intend to fix this problem at launch.

Crystal was a great product for MSFS but requiring battery power is unacceptable.
I do not need standalone VR so that is just unnecessary.
Does anyone know more about how to feed the production version of Crystal?

1 Like

Finally with subtitles :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Awesome.

So no 42PPD lenses in the box. Still using the 3in1 cable.

Sticker on the front like I said for months. @SmallBaguette is going to have to eat his Crystal now. Lol

But congratulations Pimax for finally getting a Boxed Crystal out there. It’s a milestone in itself.

I look forward to more videos from this tester.

2 Likes

I think that’s not a sticker, its only a protective sticker in the plastic chevron :wink:

It’s a shame that they didn’t sent the 42ppd, but overall it looks like a finished product.

1 Like

Why would they put a sticker cover to protect an empty chevron? It looks to me like clear film over a silver sticker.

1 Like

This is how it looks empty.

A protective sticker over shining plastics pieces is very common (to avoid scratches), a protective sticker over another sticker that make no sense :sweat_smile:

There is of course no led, but this looks like a plastic decorative piece.

1 Like

Are you saying if he peels the protection off there’s nothing underneath? Then why bother having it in the first place?

Are you saying the protection needs to stay on? Then that is the sticker. Lol

Looks bad whatever.

1 Like

One thing I also noticed is the box where the display cable plugs in is missing. Which means the cable plugs directly into the headset itself. Strange.

Also missing from the box is the charge dock and DMAS audio. So Pimax have yet to send out a retail box.

2 Likes

On FOV he says the Horizontal is slightly bigger than Aero but Vertical is smaller than the 8kX? I thought the vertical was much bigger on Crystal?

1 Like