Crystal through the lens!

That was a long, long time ago (2016 +/-) and was the start of Pimax in the international arena.

From the 5k Kickstarte onwards, a lot was developed a lot by them themselves, only the electronics still showed a lot of “existing borrowings”.
Starting with the Vision series, a own signature could be recognized here as well.

1 Like

Yes, I have seen this point with Lionel.

But let’s put it this way, Pimax was a handful of people who had to rely on others for things like optics, case materials, etc. That must have devoured a lot of money, which was not planned with the original idea. Many things still look simple on paper.
Look at Acer, a company with enough financial background (against pimax) that has pulled the brakes.

Then the bickering with Valve, because of the bases, etc. etc.
I’m really glad that they didn’t throw in the towel like other Kickstarters and, albeit with restrictions and later, were able to fulfill most of them.

Regarding Lionel: who, especially Chinese companies, likes to be looked at by outsiders. Especially with the above points.

Now it might look different. They have mastered the difficult path and are now a factor that is no longer just wearily smiled at by the competition. No, they have shown that WOV can be done under $ X000 and is successful .

2 Likes

Anyone hearing any impressions from that Snapdragon event? Seems like people are getting hands-on tests but not sure if it’s industry only or if the public are getting to try it. I’ve tried searching a bit but my attempts at searching in Chinese for reactions is pathetic lol.

1 Like

What controller is this?

It’s the reality series controller. If you see the MRTV interview with Kevin he shows a production version of the controllers that look like that, with a clear plastic tracking ring.

The finished product won’t have that, it’s pretty normal to have clear plastic for prototypes.

2 Likes

If you look at forums, pimax is a lot of times still being laughed at and there’s a lot of bad blood. They just made so many mistakes in the past. They now have a certain reputation and will need to work on that. And from what I see I doubt they are improving much. Just look at the recent translation competition for example. Pure amatueurism that makes people laugh at them.

So Pimax ditched their long awaited sword controllers?

This is not unusual for companies with little manpower. And the request for the translation is actually positive before further problems arise due to language barriers.

You keep overlooking how small the company pimax actually is. And in China, with the exception of the really big or HK-based companies, pretty much everyone is still new to the international market scene.

I myself had a lot to do with Chinese event technology companies befor Corvid.
You wouldn’t believe what’s going on there sometimes, even though they’ve been on the market for over 20 years and have their own, clever hundreds of employees
The constant rotation of employees alone leads to misunderstandings all the time. It’s still a difficult system in the country.
That’s why I’ve learned not to judge certain things by Western standards.
Even if it was difficult at first. :see_no_evil:

The sword controllers are for sale, you can buy them right now. The controller you’re seeing there is for the non-basestation inside-out markerless tracked version, as in the base version of the device.

Perhaps they’ll have an “elite” version like the cosmos elite with the faceplate pre-installed and sword controllers bundled but the future is not base stations so it makes sense to focus on selling and promoting the most accessible package first.

well, do you mix up your half-knowledge again in order to set the right mood?
Just watch the presentation again and you might hear that it’s a closed system for the series.

1 Like

If I knew the answers I wouldn’t be asking the questions would I? lol.

The pictures of the new Pimax controllers look almost identical to Quest 1 controllers which is why I asked what they were.

I didn’t realise Sword controllers were on sale. Who in their right mind bought them over Knuckles?

I’m sorry if Pimax couldn’t put LEDs in the Sword ring. Sword controllers were a bad design from start to finish. Out of interest does anyone actually use a pair?

Hopefully Pimax is back on the right path with these Touch knock offs. I suppose once HTC got away with it Pimax felt they could do the same. Will be interesting to see what Valve does with Inside out tracking.

:smiley: i was part of (i’m still part of) the english translation team. from what i seen, some excellent corrections/suggestions were made and some areas were improved as a result. i’d say involving the community was a good move by pimax, it saved money (they are a business after all) and increased mine and others interest in their products.

1 Like

Yeah perfect as a hobby club solution. But laughable for a company that pretends to be professional. Pimax just needs to stop doing things like that if they want to be taken seriously. Same with web design. I own a small company only 11 employees but I hire a professional to do things like that, it’s not even expensive and you just get it right.

2 Likes

The index 2 doesn’t exist, has never been announced and Valve have not mentioned a SINGLE thing about VR besides updating Alyx last year. In fact they fired a bunch of employees in their VR Hardware team; Valve lays off 13 employees, reportedly slashing VR hardware division - The Verge.

Yet again clueless people spouting hyperbole with ZERO ACTUAL EVIDENCE to back it up.

1 Like

Yeah nog getting my hopes up for a new index any time soon. Although valve always keeps their cards close to their chest so one can always hope that they will surprise us. Also I doubt it would beat cambria specs so it would be kind of boring which was the v1 too of course. Albeit very good at what it did

The pictures of the new Pimax controllers look almost identical to Quest 1 controllers which is why I asked what they were.

They look more like black Quest 2 controllers. The controllers are all based on reference designs for the most part anyway, HTC isn’t the only other company with controllers that look like that.

I’m sorry if Pimax couldn’t put LEDs in the Sword ring.

What does this even mean? You think they should have went with the sword controller design instead for their markerless inside-out tracking controllers? Why?

Out of interest does anyone actually use a pair?

Some people seem to love them. I know @jamejame did a pretty extensive review and was quite positive, as did this other reviewer (insanely extensive review): Super-Detailed Review Of Pimax Sword Controllers! - The Ghost Howls

Personally, if they had thumbsticks and normal buttons then I’d be all over them but touchpads aren’t interesting to me. I do understand why they ended up just going with vive wand emulation though (it’s a nightmare to implement non-vive controllers into lighthouse tracked systems although that should change when valve moves to openXR).

Why do you call them touch knockoffs? Just because they have tracking rings on top? Razer Hydra had already established the controls pretty much, and the ring on top is a logical design choice (and I believe it’s based on reference designs anyway).

i agree with you but that’s a different scenario! not for 1 minute would i suggest designing and creating websites should be outsourced to joe bloggs from the community, but going over the use of english etc on a webpage can be done by anyone with a good grasp of the english language, and that’s why i don’t think it was such a bad idea in this case.

Clueless? Did you even read the article you presented? I’ll quote it

“Last month, 13 full time employees were let go and a portion of our contractor agreements were terminated. It’s an unfortunate part of business, but does not represent any major changes at the company. We thank those affected for their contribution and wish them well in future endeavors,” spokesperson Doug Lombardi told The Verge

So does that make you clueless? Lol

1 Like

Are you seriously trying to portray them firing a bunch of VR staff as a positive for new VR hardware? Hahaha you are hilarious.

Come back when you have some ACTUAL evidence and not hyperbole.

You just brought hyperbole to this thread which ironically disproves your theory given the quote I pointed out.

Pimax created hyperbole with the videos they’ve released. Crystal is suppose to launch in 5 weeks so let’s sit back and see if they deliver on their promises because we always know Pimax deliver on their promises don’t we.

2 Likes