Crystal through the lens!

Did you hear that the cambria already to be released this october?

Saying Q3 is not a release date is it?

Will Crystal have multiple SKUs? For example…

SKU 1 - Crystal with Inside Out tracking - ÂŁ1899
SKU 2 - Crystal with Outside In tracking - ÂŁ2399
SKU 3 - Crystal with no tracking at all - ÂŁ1599
SKU 4 - Outside in Face Plate only - ÂŁ99

Because if you already have an Index you just want the headset and nothing else or will people be forced into buying inside out tracking and then more for the faceplate if they already have Index controllers and base stations?

Why doesn’t Pimax just come out with this stuff without us needing to ask?

1 Like

Hehehe you definitely are buddy. But that’s ok. I wish I was as hopeful for these new pimax headsets as you are but unfortunately I have about 0 expectations. I feel the same about Cambria. The difference is that Cambria has specs that don’t interest me AT ALL. Pimax has awesome specs. However I feel Pimax will as ALWAYS underdeliver on the specs. And then, specs are just a basic standard. The experience is really something different, mostly set by the optics. I still believe Pimax is not able to make quality lenses. I’m hoping they’ll prove me wrong but again, I have about 0 hope.

Also I felt really underwhelmed with those pics. The colors are pretty bleak. Then again, through the lens pics don’t say very much, usually they tell more about the photographer than about the headset.

6 Likes

because it’s not a Kickstart project?

It’s up to each manufacturer to decide what their product looks like. Or are we here at “make a wish”?

2 Likes

It’s not a Kickstarter thank god lol

When Pimax release a modular design it’s only natural to release the prices for the modules or the guessing games begin.

Strange Crystal is not featured on the Pimax website and the 12k appears with Quest controllers. Are Pimax supplying Crystal with Touch controllers or is that false advertising?

Saying Q3 is not a release date is it?

…Yes…of course it is lol. You accept October as a release date for Cambria which is a 1 month window, but a 3 month window isn’t a release date? What’s your cutoff here? A quarter being set as a release date is completely normal. Sure, it’s not a specific day which I already mentioned but you feel the need to just be as negative as possible.

Why done Pimax just come out with this stuff without us needing to ask?

They already said the price for the base model. You’re acting like people are going to be blindly putting their credit card details down before knowing the price or something ridiculous. When it goes on sale then those prices will be revealed, as is pretty normal. Why do they need to releases all these details before consumers can even do anything with them? You’re literally clutching at straws just to criticise here.

Hehehe you definitely are buddy.

Honestly, I wouldn’t say I’m being that much of a fanboy. I’m being overly optimistic, which is in my nature (and I do this for pretty much all headsets lol), but all I’m doing is comparing what specs we know on paper and I’m openly saying that those might not come to fruition or be well done. I mostly said that to counteract some of the negativity from @Atmos because I felt like they were going too far the other way and like I said we’re just speculating on unconfirmed information for now so it’s all fairly pointless.

Leaked specs, we don’t know for sure but I’m guessing they are likely true. Assuming the specs released so far are true, then yeah, it’s not massively interesting for many here I would image. The comfort seems good, self tracking controllers are particularly interesting (although might be an optional upgrade for Quest 2, so leaves Cambria itself less desirable) and the passthrough seems quite interesting (and if good software comes out for it then might be a seller). I think Cambria could be pretty great but seeing as it’s not gaming focused it might not appeal to as many here. If the price was more like 1k then it might be actually quite appealing for productivity.

2 Likes

Crystal comes with the controllers. Apparently the Crystal page will go live soon and I’m assuming it won’t be as placeholder as the 12K one.

1 Like

Do we know if the Reality series is natively OpenXR compatible?

Afaik, there’s been no confirmation as of yet either way. I may be wrong.

There’s this discussion thread that might have info: https://community.openmr.ai/t/tech-talk-2-what-would-you-do-if-pimax-support-openxr/38514

not really,
but, if you read mbuccia’s contribution to the pimax openxr carefully, you will find his statement about how amazed he was that the pimax runtime has always been much closer to openxr than openvr, and therefore it was very easy for him to write the software .

Furthermore, an inquiry from Pimax at the beginning of this year about the interest in openxr among users should point very much in this direction.

3 Likes

I’m generally pretty optimistic too, although I feel with the years I’ve become more realistic than optimistic maybe. But Pimax has just bitten me too many times in the A$$. It started even with the Pimax 4k, which was supposed to do 4k native. They long told us that it that native mode would come with an update but in the end they couldn’t get it going. And that has become pretty much a pattern, although I was pleasantly surprised that they could crank up the hz on the 8kX.

Honestly we’ll just have to wait and see.

4 Likes

Actually, now that I think about it wouldn’t it be nearly certain that the standalone aspect would be OpenXR compliant? If they want developers to port over their games etc. Leads me to think that very likely it would be openXR for the wireless streaming also, I thought valve themselves were planning to switch to openXR also right?

You’re completely right to be reserved. I did come to Pimax a lot later than most here when the 5K S and 8K X had most kinks ironed out so didn’t get stung with waiting and never getting promised things etc.

The fact that this isn’t kickstarter or pre-orders has me leaning towards positive, especially because they can put out a good product these days. That said, the reality line has some very lofty specs and they all need to come together well so quite understandable that people would be reserved.

Like I said, best to wait for 3rd party impressions and reviews and let the real discussion begin then when we aren’t just dealing with potential specs, dates and prices.

4 Likes

At least they are in the Khronos boat of development. OpenVR is a relic and OpenXR is the future.

1 Like

And what a lovely boat it is.

1 Like

Please don’t forget that the 4k was not a Pimax development.
Pi initially developed better software for an existing product and thus continued to sell it.

I never understood exactly how they ran that project. I did get the idea that they did not have the source code for the firmware themselves. There was a stupid protection in the headset, if you’d connect it while you had the case opened, a light detector would detect light and would disable the headset so it would render it unusable. Several people bricked their headset that way. I wrote a mod for it to unbrick those headsets and it seemed Pimax china was happy with that mod and asked how I did it. Which made me think it was not their idea to put that ‘protection’ in there. They did have some unbrick procedure themselves but it costed their support time and energy and it seemed they would have liked to just remove that protection entirely but couldn’t because they didn’t have the source code.

I figured back then, that it was not unusual at all to outsource firmware development. But you’re claiming it wasn’t even their project at all?

yes, it was a mini startup, dealer and VR enthusiasts who were just looking for better VR.

Then the glorious idea came into this xxx 2.5k (can’t remember exactly RZR or something) to build the then only existing 4k display for mobile phones (from the Sony Xperia) there. Unfortunately, the panel had some weaknesses, e.g. it was too slow compared to the existing Oled panels.

But at least it was the best resolution with the lowest SDE back then.
Everything else was due to, for those times, little beginner know-how.
It was almost everywhere, except for the top dogs Oculus and Varjo (HTC) still in their infancy.

In my opinion, Pimax has learned a lot, especially in recent years.

Was it a reference design situation like basically all companies do with Goertek and Qualcomm’s ref designs? Or was it something more misleading?

I’m guessing you mean the later, like Lenovo are doing with their new headset and the iQIYI Qiyu Dream Pro (I think that’s the specific model). Both could be ref designs from someone else though, actually likely are. So much of the tech we see from companies comes from a few sources and then is just tweaked. The reality series is, for the most part, an amalgamation of many different 3rd party technologies that Pimax are putting together into a single package. Nothing wrong with that of course, although that sounds different than the Pimax 4K situation you mention. I don’t know much about that headset tbh.

Oh yeah they definitely learned a lot. Back then their software development was just plain horrible. They’ve come a LONG way and nowadays I would actually call their software better than average, maybe even among the best. It’s just the optics department that’s lacking. That and I also felt there was no interest or even a felt need to improve the optics. Not sure if you remember that Lionel from StarVR came to this board. I chatted him up, asked him if he was willing to help Pimax improve their optics and he actually said yes! Damn I was so surprised and happy. Then I talked to Pimax China and told them that the starVR developer was willing to help fix them the distortion. They said “What distortion, we already fixed it!!” So yeah that’s one big reason why I don’t have very high hopes …

3 Likes