Community Discussion 0423 Update

I don’t know about scared but yeah, this project has really been taking a turn for the worse and I’m annoyed at myself for not having realized the ‚lense switch‘ even though some concerned backers were pointing it out back then.

Wonderfully summarized one year of Pimax experience. And wonderfully replied to Axacuatl.

They will ship. Question is when and what.

Yes it is definitely starting to look like we are being led up the garden path to nowhere.

Constructive critisizm of Pimax is fine, and important.

But talking out of one’s ass just because one is so eager to get ones hands on the newest toy and is oh so disappointed and feels personally insulted by Pimax announcing delays is very reminiscent of a little boy. I am simply too old to waste my time reading through spoiled brat kind of comments and it annoys me to have to do that here so frequently.

[the following is not relevant for the other readers other than the addressee unless they want to waste their time]

Looking at your own latest comment, you really think it can be taken as serious criticism ? Let’s have a go at it:

Regarding the delay, it is exactly what I had expected. M1 was meant to be finished after CNY at the end of February/beginning of March. Then components were delayed, then trial assembly, then internal testing and beta selection, then 10 days of no feedback as to the viability of those M1 prototypes.

Ok, you recapitulate on what has happened. And as it is obvious that their internal testing showed persisting or new flaws (hence the three toolings they had to order as mentioned in today’s update), obviously a planned schedule which is based on “if testing goes well” will see delays.

Now it apparently turns out the most recent lenses weren’t good enough, so we’re back at square one.

?! Wait a minute, what are you concluding ? Did you even read their update which you are pretending to comment on ? They said they are done. They did NOT say that they are back to square one because the lenses are not working out as intended. This is the kind of incomprehensible out-of-ass comment I refer to above. Being negative as a general attitude, just waiting for the faintest of chances to jump out of the box.

"Looking at it realistically, Pimax showed v1, v2 and v3 with top of the line custom lenses to get the KS funding and marketing and government funding. That’s why impressions as to visual clarity etc were so great.

Then there probably was an internal v4 that wasn’t shown publicly, and when v5 appeared at CES 2018, shit really hit the fan because as it turns out, manufacturing custom lenses at scale and cost turned out to be a monumental task, possibly to hard to solve for a setup such as Pimax. "

Ok, as you apparently missed it, the V2/V3 lenses performed great on certain aspects, but some reviewers complianed about a list of issues I will not repeat because you will find them extensively covered in other threads of this same forum.

And in addition they generally said of the whole 8K/5K that it was a prototype and they would need to translate many components of it, not only the lenses, for production, so it was always a risk that the later production unit would perform different to the prototype. But sure, usually one would not expect to see substantially decreased performance as a result of such tooling for mass production.

But then you claim that Pimax intentionally mislead the public and backers by using “top of the line” lenses. I must have missed it - where is any kind of further proof or even indication of your claim being accurate ? There may be a decreased sweet spot, if the blurriness outside the middle as seen in the videos is due to the lenses, for which we do not exactly know which lenses were used (they just refer to V5 while that has seen at least three major revisions). But how did you exactly reach your conclusion that they actually had very expensive lenses in the V2/V3 other than just guessing that the better sweet spot must be expensive to achieve, and that Pimax actually used such expensive lenses ? Any information you want to share which is not yet out in the public which makes your claim anything else than just another out-of-the-ass comment ?

I‘m gutted I didn’t factor in the lense challenges when backing the KS but was under the impression they had solved the optics. They haven’t and most likely for the same reasons that the giants such as Facebook, Google and HTC haven’t either, with billions of R&D resources at their disposal.

I am no optics expert, but this comes back on your previous claim - so which super-expensive optics would resolve this so much better ? Or could it perhaps simply be the case, that the trick they used to create the wider sweet spot resulted in other issues, e.g. distortions, convergence problems, which they had underestimated and which were mentioned in some of the V2/V3 reviews and they decided to tackle, but then at the cost of the other upsides of their earlier approach ?
You seem to claim that the V2/V3 optics performed perfectly - this is simply incorrect, and your further considerations as a result don’t make that much sense as they are based on a wrong assumption.

It‘ll be interesting to see if they ever ship to backers and if so, what it is they will ship.

Ah, this is exactly the kind of helpful posts everybody really loves to read. What a good use of our time, thank you kindly.

Perhaps consider buying your next toy in a Best Buy around the corner. It’ll be there when you want it, you just need to pick it up and do not have to endure a wait with delays along the way. Kickstarter projects are just quite definitely not your cup of tea.

Again - I do not mean to be rude, but I just get so tired of people unloading their unfounded conspiracy & cheat shit on the forum amongst those interested in a serious conversion or just be flat-out negative like a small impatient kid about any update other than “Your 8K has been shipped and will be delivered in 10 seconds”. Pimax are a bunch of semi-amateurs, who just go ahead with what they think may be achievable, and when they post ETA’s they communicate consider the best case - but it did not always go that way, and that resulted in delay. With a company like Oculus you would not even have heard of the project yet, they would factor in 2 years of development, and you would get a highly polished product end of 2019. With Pimax you may get a great product middle of 2018 or a piece of junk end of 2018/early 2019 - that’s the bet the backers understood. Well, apparently most of them as clearly some were taken by surprise that they did not receive their perfect 8K end of January.

8 Likes

I am just sharing my opinion. No need to take cheap shots.

Then please use your brain and enlighten us on the following paradox:

versus

1 Like

Factory = one of the vendors.

6 Likes

Yeap ok, so now it is much more clear:

1. so all the materials for M1 are now at one of the vendors (factory).
  2. you are waiting for new components from your vendors (probably factory/ies) to assemble M1

It does make lot of sense now. Thnx.

1 Like

Yes, that is contradicting information, I agree.

THIS is constructive criticism, and this is what we need around here. But just blasting out like as if somebody has taken away my favourite toy is not helpful.

So your comment is great. However, I would consider a comment on exactly the same issue not very helpful, and annoying to waste my time to read, if it was using this kind of language, which unfortunately sometimes is used here too:
“They posted something about availability of components for the M1 assembly and they are clearly lying to us in order to cheat us, and I demand that they provide us an update within **10 minutes ** from the time of my post !!! They are a big scam, and this proves beyond any doubt that they are never going to deliver anything !!! I want to SELL my pledge, I am outta here !!!” (and of course this same user will still be around in 1,2,3 months from now and will not have sold his pledge)

[Edit: ok, I see that Xunshu has clarified this point.

Guess what, I suppose she would not have responded if it had been stated like my sample I cretaed above in this post]

2 Likes

Carefull with that axe @Axacuatl,

because you are on the other side of the river.
The same can be said about you when you defend blindly your position only to have your ego survive.

But I don’t want to start again offtopic issues, although lot of psychological things are happening here.

And btw, please tell me what was clear in my last post regarding factory and vendors ? Was it clear ? Try do draw a logical scheme. Does it draw well ?

Like I said to you in another thread, has a backer we can only hope to have a transparent communication with the creator and that he’s going toward the realization of the project. With the last update Pimax give us what seems to be to real situation and where there going in plausible terms and means. You can feel uncomfortable with it or not but at this point it’s out of our hands

For example in another Kickstarter I was supposed to have the item 1.5 year ago. We are only 2 month late for a foreseeable 5-6 months delay from February if we take in account the info of the last update

This is the norm for such Kickstater, and for my part now that I know where Pimax is going a I’m fine with this delay.

3 Likes

i think that they are just liars, took the money in order to get funding and then, we, backers will help them making a good product (like sheep that we are).
And this remind me one of my first post when i said " i am nobody here"
Of course i am, i am the idiot 2365 who believed what Pimax said about suppliers and being able to deliver in time and all this.
Of course tech guys will now jump saying stuff like…you know the stuff takes times…you know components stuff and more but i don’t care.
I backed believing what they was saying and now i think they are just liars .
flipping 4 month with the same excuses.
i am really trying hard to stay polite.

In my opinion they lie in a positive way. Their lies cover their incompetence not their fraud.

That’s kinda odd… the main purpose of Kickstarter is to fund a product for a company we wish to support. As a Kickstarter backer myself, I knew that going in and I don’t think I’m sheep for it… just informed and hope-full the relationship will bear fruit. That is my understanding of Kickstarter. Now if you wish to believe Pimax lied about the ETA… that’s speculative. Pimax has done what every other Kickstarter does… Estimates on “best case scenarios”.

7 Likes

A lie is a lie.
They must have know this for a while and decided not to say anything and actually they have a very very very very good background in that sector…
They SHOULD have updated us before about that.
What is the point to be a backer???
Easy to use the well know " we want to give you a perfect product" , every updates says something different from the previous one, blurry update, makes me fell like i am being for it.
And please some of you stop playing the big daddy’s, we have the right to be pissed and say what we think!!!
i am still looking forward to get mine before general release cause at this path it won’t be the year of the Pig or the Rat .

Your point of view, its ok.
Not mine

Yeah, I couldn’t say it better than you. Actually I gave up. You can not fight with the hope and positive thinking. Hope is the last who dies.

It’s to back a company to produce a product they believe they can deliver. Kickstarter is not a online-store to purchase a proven product at a discount rate. It is to show financial support to a company that desires to make a product that is unique and that individuals wishes to help. If your understanding that Kickstarter is somehow a discounted store to purchase a proven product with guarantees of functionalities and shipping dates… you’re misinformed what crowdfunding is all about.

8 Likes

Well, to become a backer you have to start once, and i did after reading all the " stuff" pimax was stating on Kickstarter regarding delivery date / suppliers and all.
So pardon me my man if i am not an experienced backer and no matter how you put it a lie is a lie.
First delivery date was very optimistic i know that, i don’t need you to talk to me like if i needed your knowledge .
But the lack of transparency is really annoying,i backed it to be part of the development and so i expect to be tell the truth, no matter if i wasted 10 years of my life on previous project, if its my first ,if i paid more or less.
I am a backer and should know more.
Now if you are happy with selling technics like "estimated " “willing to deliver the best” “to you backers” ,
if you really think you are being part of anything, well…good for you.
But let me moan in peace you want!

Fair enough…

This isn’t the first time you and I had this conversation… And I’ll say it again… I’m a low number backer and I really don’t expect to see my 8K until early next year. But I’m confident it will come. Will it be everything I hope for? I’m not certain of that but I do think it will be good. I know my ETA date will annoy people. But that’s my opinion and I have stated that for a while now. If it comes earlier… it’s all gravy! Anyhow, I backed the 8K for two reasons…

1. I want the HMD that Pimax says it can deliver… SteamVr compatible 200 degree FOV and high resolution.
  2. I want to push VR technology faster. If Pimax succeeds, it will force other competitors to improve their VR technology.

I will only feel angry and burned if Pimax doesn’t deliver to me a 200-degree FOV, high resolution HMD by next year. And again, I seriously doubt I’ll get burned and when it does arrive, my second reason will be accomplished as well.

6 Likes