Comfort kit 5k+ distortions

On the plus side you will be able to swap your 8k’s cowl if needed.

I’m pretty sure the depth of Your eyeballs in the sockets also matter.

My IPD is about 64mm and that’s what I’m using (offset -1.5).

As mentioned, 22mm foam + one layer of double-sided velcro in the top only.

Maybe I should give a thin foam a try again since haven’t tried more than once when I just received my (pre-order) 5K+ a long time ago and there’s apparently been a lot of distortion profile updates since then… :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

I probably will try whittle the foam down a bit with my wood carving knive. I would be more happy if I could do that with the plastic tough, since I like the comfort of a bigger cushion. But I don’t know how the latching mechanism works. If it all could be filed down a bit, that would be perfect.

Edit: Never mind I forgot the velcro in front of the foam. It’s a very nice foam, I‘m very sad that there is this issue. I could maybe detach it from the velcro and sew it back on afterwards, but it’s sad that this is even necessary.

2 Likes

Good point. I may have to, but I was certainly looking forward to the comfort kit.

1 Like

I played on normal FOV (flight simulators) so far since I got my comfort kit for my 5K+ sn204. I plan on playing HLA next week.

Reading this thread, I increased FOV to large. I have the same issue, the outer areas are bright grey, refracting wrong - unusable. The eyes are too far away from the lenses.

I took the CK out, then moved closer and further away. It’s indeed the distance. Had I known this I would have returned the CK last week when I was still in 14-days time to return free of charge! I can’t use large FOV anymore.

The dimensions of the 8KX are similar they said. That means, the 8KX with its Comfort Kit will not be usable with large FOV for me.

What now… Will we get a flat CK foam to fix that problem? I paid 70€ for this, it’s plastic (and comfortable foam), but also with large FOV removed. That’s sad.

8 Likes

More and more people have this problem,i think i am gonne regret my pimax 8kx order too after trying the 8kplus with the comfort kit…

4 Likes

Well it worked the opposite for me. When I got the ks 5k+ with old face foam I had distortions. Changing to a thinner 16mm cover solved it - eyelashing the lenses for the win. Minimal distortion, maximal FOV.

7 Likes

I guess I’m a freak. I need the lowest IPD combined with double thickness comfort setup. But hey, it wouldn’t be the first time I’ve been called that :smile:

3 Likes

It may well be a different case with the MAS.

I like to be close though as well. I use a Vive Wide foam. I had one that was thicker but it reduced immersion so I went back to that. I’m hoping the comfort kit is about equivalent depth with the MAS.

1 Like

@Octofox As DrWilken points out, this could also be relevant.

I’m pretty sure the depth of Your eyeballs in the sockets also matter.

Sometimes I think it would be interesting if a very large academic study reduced all this to engineering principles. But by the time that study was completed, the technology might well obviate the need for it.

Which at least means the VR industry is growing.

4 Likes

Well, I believe part of the issue is that for humans around the globe, the eyes are set with different depth. It’s only natural. For example, with my European face I have comparatively dominant arches over my eyes - natural sun protection when fighting west or east. Harhar. Anyway. If you look at this picture, and the lady at the left, you’ll see her eyes are set further away from the lenses, than the eyes from the lady on the right.

That’s our reality. So mine is this now:
I did not have distortions with the normal kit, and I could play with large FOV.
After installing the CK, the large FOV has become unusable to my European face.

IMAG2449

I need a flatter foam for the CK. :disappointed_relieved:

11 Likes

That looks like a Vive DAS. Those are truly awful with the comfort kits.

Edited after I calmed down a bit about that :poop: response by mirage
That is an awful way to try to deflect the problem away from Pimax’ Comfort Kit. Which is a cheap shot actually. The CK can be pressed in any way to my face - without the Vive DAS as well - it doesn’t change anything. I don’t get close enough to the lenses.

I tried the strap already, it does not change anything. The problem remains, beside being much less comfortable. The straps have the headset gliding off my head forward.
SMAS or DMAS are neither available nor ordered nor listed as prerequisite to the Comfort Kit. And the CK is fixated on my head. There is no possible way for them to magically make it work, as no position lets me get in close enough. None.

I have the same arches over the eyes like Dr Wilken in his avatar. It’s a normal face.

The CK in its current form is incompatible - no matter which strap you use - to the average western European facial form for the large FOV. Enough others have mentioned they encounter the same issue in this thread.

Anyway:
It’s not okay, and we need a solution. It’s unacceptable to order a Kit for 79€ that promises comfort but cuts out the large FOV. I am seriously stunned you think that would be okay and blame the Vive DAS for it, even though this problem appears with all solutions and however you hold, press, shift, raise, or lower the CK in front of your face.

Yeah, not JoCool right now. Seriously… seriously astonished by that.

2 Likes

I have a European face also.

You may be in a for a surprise then mate :frowning_face:

Just out of curiosity, how long are people wearing these for before they find them uncomfortable? I have the 5K+ and I think around 3 hours is the longest I’ve ever had it on in one session. Not because I couldn’t continue, but just I always have to take a break for one reason or another. I’ve not found it to uncomfortable just with the default straps it comes with? Am I just lucky in this regard, or am I wearing it a lot less than many of you?

1 Like

We just need a 3dscan of the comfort kit or face gasket to customize the face mask gasket.

6 Likes

It remains comfortable.

But it doesn’t let me use large FOV. Like the others, I get white refraction on the outer sides of the lenses. Like looking at the sides/warped corona of a black hole in its average prominent depictions. It’s not light leakage either, I tested in a fully darkened room. :sneezing_face:

1 Like

@JoCool
Calm down. My only reason for contributing to this thread so far has been to drop data points or ideas where I can.

By the way, all posts to this thread have been made while I am literally half asleep and/or quite busy. Another reason I did not plan on getting into details here…

It’s not okay

Did I say it was? Quite frankly, I hadn’t added my opinion.

we need a solution

That I would agree with. More of these kind of products (replacement foam) would make the headsets more accessible to more users.

unacceptable to order a Kit for 79€ that promises comfort but cuts out the large FOV

Well here is my opinion. A lot of products are made for people playing sports. Most of them don’t work for most people. On occasion, one of them solves a specific problem for a specific user.

blame the Vive DAS for it

I did not. I regard your use of that as an indicator of how bad your experience with the comfort kit must be. Thus, ‘truly awful’.

And yes, I pointed out the obvious.

even though this problem appears with all solutions and however you hold, press, shift, raise, or lower the CK in front of your face.

So, you need flatter foam. I did say I saw something like that at CES.

_
Now, as for some other stuff…

I did not have much further constructive to speculate about how differences in face geometry affect FOV and distortion. To be honest, I was getting a bit lost in figuring out how varying combinations of distance, IPD, and such, affect distortion.

From the ‘white refraction’ comment, my latest guess is that your eyes are much further from the lenses than mine, though mine are also pretty far away.

All I can really say for sure is the comfort kit works slightly better for me when used like this, which I though you would have seen. Without the paperclip/velcro at the back, the comfort kit was intolerable due to the same ‘gliding off my head forward’. The DAS was the worst of all options. The MAS, the best.

Which, yes, obviously does not address the need for thinner foam.

2 Likes

Are you suggesting there’s something unusual about my eyeballs

7 Likes