CES 2018 V5 Road To Vr Review!

Lower the Fov to 180-190… Still massive upgrade over rift etc.

Don’t lower picture quality wanting to stretch the image to 200 fov

9 Likes

yeap, but I would complete your statments like this:

Non-functional hardware that is being reported on by the global VR press, FORTUNATELY FOR THE BIG PLAYERS IN THE FIELD.

1 Like

Let it go, please. In a way @mirq is actually trying to stay positive if you look at at that way as he’s trying to find a reason for this very pressing question:

If you know your prototype is serioulsy flawed, why on earth show it a CES? This is not a neighbourhood VR Meetup, it is the single biggest show on earth that professional companies use to show the best aspects of what they are working on or even the final product that will be released. It’s a setting that is meant to create demand and develop a brand.

No one in their right mind would have rocked up in the state that Pimax did.

2 Likes

Honestly you seem somewhat level headed but this statement is a huge stretch. Similar small H/W startups have done much worse and gone on to much bigger things.

3 Likes

I think you overestimate the threat that Pimax would have posed to HTC, Rift and the likes.

Just in terms of hardware requirement the 8K wouldn’t have made waves outside the super-enthusiast niche and it’s actually a great way for other companies to gauge demand for high-end VR completely for free.

All said, if the 8K had succeeded in the way we were all hoping for, one of the big players would have acquired them immediately. Way easier than shadow investments which you appear to suggest.

2 Likes

Common guys, give them a break.
Do we get emotional by one review ?
We all want our pimax HDM to be it a success.
I think @twack3r has a point.
But let’s wait a bit longer before we get really nervous.
And yes I am a backer too ( 8K full package )

There are so many negativ comments that I disagree so I don’t even want to spent my time arguing with these guys, but I want to greet pimax devs team, keep going, you’re doing well, im sure there are many people who might support your business plan even if they don’t write about that :slight_smile:

@deletedpimaxrep1

3 Likes

As you said, they paid a bunch of money to front at CES, this would have been committed months ago, well before they knew exactly what prototype version they would be taking. I can guarantee the engineers where still fiddling and testing\trying things out the same day they shipped it off to LV. This is what were dealing with, a young hungry startup pushing the limits of their knowledge and also the hardware they have to work with.

Crazy that people are still comparing them to HTC.

2 Likes

Focus on doing the basics right - FOV, Display, Lenses, IPD, Tracking - before eleborating other things like increasing the FOV further or getting refreshrate to 90Hz. I’ll take a smooth display at 80Hz over a foggy one at 90. And i’ll take 190° FOV over 200+° FOV with flickering edges.

9 Likes

“CES is a good chance for us to collect feedbacks to further improve 8K.”

Sorry this argument was flaw at the beginning CES is not for that CES is for product exposure

1 - for sale
2 - investor

If they are experts in VR they don’t need my opinion each year at CES. Refresh rate, Lens , optical distortion, ergonomy all those things must be dealt by a expert team and then ** after ** they have done their best they confront their vision with the market not before or between.

This don’t preclude users test but not at the CES. Bad publicity is bad.

6 Likes

Thanks and you are right, this is a worst case scenario and I should have elucidated on what exactly I meant referring to Pimax as a serious contender in the high-end VR segment:

Many often confuse a product with a company name or a brand. Yes, you do need a functional product at some point on your roadmap but most importantly, you have to develop a brand. That is what you as a company can fall back on when the going gets tough or competitors are closing in on your R&D position quickly. For all their faults, Oculus is playing this game well, MagicLeap have perfected it to the point of reductio ad absurdum and most long term successful startups are doing the same. Brand instills loyalty, it evokes emotion and in the end it becomes part of the ‘emotional feature list’ that consumers will base their purchasing decision on. The major keyword here is TRUST.

In my mind at least, and whilst I am a VR enthusiast in my spare time, I run a pretty sizeable company with a strong marketing focus for a living, Pimax have caused major damage to their fledgling brand by showing up to CES the way they did.

All the naysayers (and there are plenty) will see their doomsday predictions come true and trust me, negative PR spins WAY faster than positive one. The supporters of the brand are feeling left out the loop and will ALWAYS react emotionally in that sort of situation, regardless of their financial commitment. And finally and this is why I’m very worried for Pimax’s future as a company, investors are interested not solely in the tech a company develops or their supply chain or a myriad of other aspects that a company is made up of, but also the quality of the decision making of the company’s management.

And as it stands, Pimax sunk serious cash into a presence at CES (we are talking at least the cost for a one-year contract for a super high level marketing/PR/community management executive with global renown), lost a sizable amount of credibility based on their prior communication and incurred negative press and social media hiatus for what exactly in exchange? Feedback on what they KNEW to be a faulty prototype revision? After all is said and done, they shouldn’t have shown this rev at CES. That was a major mistake.

5 Likes

Pimax remind me of that dodgy Builder, that you pay upfront to do the job but don’t show up.

CES!!!.. Out of all places.

Limit refresh to 85hz… Fov 185… Perfect it, = success

If you try and push chips to its max I can’t see headsets lasting to long.

There is an absolute reason backers on here wasn’t given any update before the start, they new the product was a mess, hence why they didn’t spend out on the stand. They should of had so so so much hype behind this… Countdown to ces on their site… Even a free raffle for every tester to win a brand new headset… 2 minute random thoughts here

O well they have millions in the bank now from you guys… Release if at all September is my guess

One last thing! Why not have your fancy new comfy headstrap on it?.. You would think this is V1

1 Like

You make a very good argument, I honestly don’t know what the cost of their trip to CES would be but, if it is a substantial amount and equal to the amount of a FTE PR manager for a year, then quite clearly at this stage it looks to have been a massive miscalculation their part.

Well Perhaps it may help to compile a list of reported issues according to the few reddit posts and article.

1. The HMD is running at 80hz.
    -Pimax has said that they are looking into a new hardware solution by the end of march (holding my breath) to address this issue as it has been an issue since around the time of the Amsterdam show. 90hz was the original claim.
  2. There is some sort of stereo vision misalignment causing eye strain and in some cases blurred picture.
    -According to reports it appears the IPD adjustment was not functioning correctly. We have seen the video of the IPD adjustment working physically in the V3 video. This leads me to believe that it probably is not flushed out in the software.
    -I am worried that people my be toggling the IPD adjust at the demo physically, and ruining the calibrated location that the software is configured for without realizing it. I recommend that the pimax staff check on the calibrations of the hmds tonight and tape off the adjustment knob with black electrical tape or somthing.
  3. There are artifacts and blurred area’s at the very edge of the lenses top to bottom and at the far edges.
    -This appears to have been introduced in the V5 prototype as this was not an issue in the V3 reviews.
    -This appears to be a separate issue from the distortion profiling issues we saw in the V2 reviews.
  4. There are reportedly horizontal mura lines in the image.
    -This appears to be an issue with the display in the unit that was reviewed.
  5. The tracking does not appear to be completely functional.
    -As reviews of the V3 prototype did not have this problem, it appears that it may have been caused by method of masking the sensors.
    -Although depending on the pc configuration it may be that frames are being dropped.
  6. Comfort with the straps appears to be a concern.
    -Backers will be receiving the rigid PSVR style rigid head strap which should address this concern.

Positive remarks in the article include the FOV and pixel density. It appears from the review that you can pickup on the pixel arrangement but will need to focus to see pixels. Definitely an improvement over gen1 vive where we can see sub pixels.

Pimax team can you please comment on these issues. I’m sure the community may have suggestions addressing them based on the project status. Can you also please provide details on the computers that are being using to run the demos at CES.

6 Likes

I bet if they didn’t pay beforehand they would have chanceled the CES i think they are fully aware of their product status. But it was a promise to the community and imagine what would have happened here if they said last week they don’t show up because they have nothing to show.
Them showing up tells me they are still optimistic to get the job done and maybe even get some extra investors into the project. Not showing up would have made me nervous i backed the full 8K set so they also got my money.

No point in running around like a headless chicken the money is gone it’s up to them to deliver but shouting at them doesn’t make the product any better. If they wanted to they could have given us all the big F you and away would be the money but hey so far they are still around and trying to improve the product.

Average cost was $150,000 in 2012. Don’t expect that to have reduced since then, quite the opposite actually.

I sent a team of mine to a show in Cannes last fall: All in it was more than €200.000. These things are very expensive and meant as serious investement into a brand.

3 Likes

At least we would have had suppositions that the product was good. Now we know for sure that it isn’t, lol.

They lied to us all this time, and that declaration you are wavering around is nothing else but a bad joke. A sinister one.

Interesting, thanks. That is a substantial amount, I can only conclude it was paid for months ago not knowing where they would be in terms of the prototype.

What would you have done in this situation, not show up and write off the money but at the same time this would have been bad exposure anyway or show up and try and weather the storm?

Truth. Telling truth. Not have us being surprised would have been the best way to go. At least the backers gained trust, despite potential investors at CES would flee away.

Now they have scared both categories.

I see many basic flaws:

-The lack of anti-reflective material between the lenses and the screens that the oculus dk2 already had 4 years ago.

-Do not wear the rigid headstrap when we have tired of seeing it in almost any advertising image.

-To cover the tracking sensors too much when we see that the HTC VIVE strangely and in its “pro” version still keeps them practically exposed. coincidentally this generates tracking problems where they had never been with the previous prototypes.

It is obvious that there is a lack of criteria that is sufficient and that it is not. They need a team of beta testers that work almost full time with them, that or this project will be perpetuated by 2019 or 2020.

At this very moment, the good impressions of the world tour have been almost completely canceled, or they are in a hurry or this is going to be a disaster. There is still time the product is already practically done, but needs to be finished now and well to be able to compensate this.

1 Like