CES 2018 - 8K Prototype details

We will announce the plan on Jan and then double check individually if necessary.

6 Likes

Imagine this: You release in january a version that is not as good as it should be, with the plans to release a better one in a couple of months. Then you get two things:
1st: A lot of unsatisfied customers.
2nd: A lot of negative press to your product pushing your value down.

DON’T do this! FOCUS! Get it right and get it done once!

3 Likes

The v4 was taken away for R&D purpose, we will see when we can have it again.

The communities…
Pimax Forum comes first,
8K VR Club as well,
and then we will pick some other VR communities.

The batch on Jan will be very small, and we will double check with every receiver in advance.

4 Likes

@deletedpimaxrep1: Thanks, sound good to me! The AdHawk Tec looks quite promising!

About the 8k, I think its the best move, people get to choice what they prefer - (so no need to tell PiMaxm what to do, since its your choice what you take if asked)

3 Likes

Thanks for the info.

Are the lenses put together as one piece, instead of 3 pieces glue together?.Dont really know if it is important, but would like to know.

thanks again for your worries about getting it as good as posible

3 Likes

I would prefer FIRST to test the stable 80hz version in January, and then ship an updated version with controllers in April.

I believe 80hz with BW may be enough.

But this is just me.

1 Like

ok. @deletedpimaxrep1 @Pimax-Support
But what about the selected equipment to test the prototype?

if that version of the viewer sent to the volunteers is later needed or they realize that some of the pieces need to be updated for the final design of the mass mailing.

Will the unit received by beta testers be replaced for free in the final mass version?

a good option would be to send the CES unit to the Tester team (which already provokes an initial version), Luckey Palmer himself among other volunteers from the Pimax 8k community itself to have their impressions.

the only thing we ask is that finally all the sponsors finally receive the same viewer already tested even by those of the first batch of shipments.
this includes the substitution if necessary for the initial betatesting team in January.

Thank you.

4 Likes

@deletedpimaxrep1, I really think it would be a very good idea and a great publicity that the guys from Tested could have the last finished prototype of the Pimax 8K, so they could test it themselves thoroughly, as they do with other products, that trust and if the tests are fairly well, would give a lot of credibility and media coverage to Pimax. Nor would it be wrong to show it again to as many influencers as possible.

10 Likes

100% agreed!

The guys from Tested would be ideal for some large scale PR on the newest iteration.

5 Likes

Please, leave the choice to ship the v5 as soon as possible and buy another 8k at the same price in March. I use it for archviz, I wanted it now but I also want the best.
Sorry for my English.

1 Like

I think it’s great that you want to have the v5 version as soon as possible.
you can offer yourself as a beta tester … and help the community, but you can not say to buy a new viewer later in March. that option would be crazy.

For your comment, you may be over the money, but a large part of the Pimax community makes a great effort to acquire the viewer, renew PC etc …

Your proposal is not a good idea.
think about it

Thanks for the update :slight_smile:

I wanted to test the new 8K early as possible, but I don’t mind to wait a little more to get a perfectly finished HMD, meantime I’ll play with the 4K :grin:

Regards.

I want it like an option, not for all user…
I understand that’s my request is about a particular target of users.

How can I be a beta tester? It’s one week I read about this but I don’t understand how…
Thx for your reply and sorry for my English

1 Like

I win the first round of “Nomination”, but still not get any confirmation that I will get the prize until the partner will formed.

If I am sure that I can get one headset later, may I can get the first headset to test and feedback all issues to pimax, then I will wait to get the consumer version for the prize of winner.

And it will be great if I can send the first headset to change with 8K X and add more money to upgrade (will paid the shipping cost by myself). So I will have the 8K and 8K X for test and review later.

Nolovr just send a new kit to me. After I try to compare it with the old kit for checking all issues already, I send back the old kit to them and paid the shipping cost by myself. (I am super tester, :smile:).

1 Like

I hear what you’re saying but there are some advantages of releasing 2 versions:

1. Some people don’t even care about 80 or 90 hz, they just want the headset as early as possible, even if that means that it might not be as good as the final version. As long as they understand what they’re getting and are ok with that, I doubt this will cause much trouble.
  2. This early group of users is a GREAT way of beta testing things and getting feedback to improve the 2nd version. If a lot op people say “damn I really miss this and that hardware feature” then Pimax can still add it in the 2nd version. Or if people notice that the IPD adjustment button breaks down easily for example, then Pimax can change its design to improve it.

I think Pimax should do it. Just make sure it’s VERY easy to identify V1 of V2 so people don’t get confused. And explain the risks so people really understand what they’re getting. I think actually calling the first version BETA would be a smart move, so that people know that it’s NOT the final version. Also you might want to consider setting up an exchange program. If it’s not too expensive to exchange V1 for V2 I actually might get V1 ASAP and then exchange it when V2 becomes available @deletedpimaxrep1

12 Likes

As a 8k X backer i’m fully ready to test early non X version (as i have to return it later anyway). I own htc bases/wands and a big variety of VR games as project cars, onward (and other vr shooters), elite dangerous, fallout, and so on; including popular software as virtual desctop, vorpx, etc.

Cheers
@deletedpimaxrep1

11 Likes

Good point, especially for X backers this is an interesting option.

1 Like

Early version could be released as DK1, and the final version could be released as CV1. Oculus had DK2 at 75 Hz. I think it’s ok to have a Pimax DK1 at 80 Hz.

2 Likes

Send it to Tested for review then ask if anyone wants it early.

3 Likes

That is it, you got the point, I would like to have my 8K as soon it is avaible (I am early bird 8K backer) … wait till march it is a punishment :sweat_smile:

2 Likes