CES 2018 - 8K Prototype details

If there are different version of hardware about refresh rate, may I will change my survey to get headset with controller instead, last time I choose to get headset before and controller later.

1 Like

The new solution is about the hardware structure.

3 Likes

What is your backer #? Iā€™ll put a note to inform the team your preference.
We will see how it goes and double check with the backers before we ship.

4 Likes

How about the 5K? Will it ship before/after/concurrently with the 8K?

1 Like

As I read it, they are testing 2 options.

1. fix the current hardware to work with 90hz
  2. try new hardware to reach 90hz

If 1) succeeds, they will ship in Jan ( limited units to community leaders ), if not then they will update the shipping schedule.

1 Like

Whats the refresh rate of the v5 that will be shown at CES 2018? If there will be a hardware update to reach the 90hz in March, can we get another survey asking if we want to have the headset shipped later? Iā€™m an early backer (in the top 200) and would much rather wait for the updated version.

The shipping plan will be updated on Jan.

Is the current stable framerate still sitting at 83hz?

1 Like

the prototype is stable at 80Hz. We will contact the early backers by email to double check before shipping.

5 Likes

Thanks, so only the refresh rate should be impacted then.

By the way, for AdHawk did you guys also talked about using their tech for adding finger tracking on your controller?

2 Likes

Thanks xunshu for your update, comments and patience.

I fully understand that more time is needed to solve this unforeseen problem and I thank you for doing so.

Iā€™m glad I could help by introducing you to AdHawk.

4 Likes

@deletedpimaxrep1 please what about the 5k ?
Is it stable ? do we have to wait March just because the 8k does not reach 90 ?

2 Likes

I think pimax should announce about official date of changing the survey later because I still not sure your plan.

When we get the plan and schedule, then I will make the decision again.

I donā€™t want to change my mind a lot of times.

So that means the backers who are willing to receive the 8K at january, will indeed receive a sub-par version and the customer version will come Q2?

If nvidia does not announce a delivery date for GTX1100 series on CES iā€™ll take the 80hz in january instead of (maybe) 90hz in Q2

1 Like

@deletedpimaxrep1 @Pimax-Support

Hi, thanks for the statement.
We are still waiting for the video of the V4 version that was commented for this week.

Regarding the V5 version ā€¦
There are comments about sending a few units to community leaders. Could you know what those communities are?
and then I also read of sending a very small lot to sponsors.

I am in a very low number less than 150 and imagine that they think like me many other sponsors, that it would be better to wait until they really tested and finished the prototype before sending them all.

We do not want different hardware elements that improve performance in a second shipment batch.
thus harming the first sponsors.

a greeting!

2 Likes

Thanks for your suggestion, we already have finger tracking but will discuss with AdHawk about their tech as well.

2 Likes

Seeing them confirm at least march for hardware nail down makes me feel a lot betterā€¦ As much as an early release would be fun, the idea that they are not rushing talks to me of a company willing to risk delays rather than poor qualityā€¦ A stance I agree with 100%

6 Likes

Iā€™ll need to double check with the team, the status and shipping plan of 5K will be announced on Jan as well.

1 Like

The Kickstarter system only allows us to send survey once. Any specific preferences, you can email support@pimaxvr.com and we will make notes.
For the earliest backers, they will need to make a decision whether or not they want 8K current design or prefer to wait. We will double check with every backer via email before shipping.
We will have a better idea on Jan, and then send email to ask stakeholders.

5 Likes