Can We Get Acknowledgement of the Pimax Specific RTX 4090 Latency / Lag Issue please?

The pimax experience still uses the steam fundament. OpenXR for Pimax is a bit more complicated I think. I “THINK” that when we use the Pimax XR interface, we’re basically ‘fooling’ steam into thinking the XR is still steam VR. (If that makes any sense- @mbucchia is the guru on XR and the Pimax world. Maybe he’ll chime in to explain it better and correct me as needed.)

There are a few things to not mix up.

With almost any VR device you typically have a few ways to write applications:

• Using the platform’s “native” interface. Pimax has its own which is called PVR. It’s not convenient for app developers to use the native interface, because they have to then port their application to each platform… but it is also the method that can give you the best performance.

• Using OpenVR, a standard interface supported via SteamVR with drivers for many headsets. This is convenient for developers because they write their app once and it runs on any platform. Also, SteamVR offer a rich set of user features. The price to pay is that SteamVR is very resource hungry and typically lower performance than native.

• Using OpenXR, the newest standard that is on many platform supported without the need for SteamVR. However, on some platforms it is only supported via SteamVR. This is also convenient for developers because they write their app once and it runs on any platform. Also, OpenXR is a more modern interface than OpenVR, and supports many things that OpenVR did not (eg: eye tracking if your device can do it). For platforms that do not need SteamVR to use OpenXR, you will get better performance with OpenXR since you bypass SteamVR. The price to pay is a less rich set of features, since SteamVR did many many things.

Now AFAICT the Pimax Home (which I don’t know if it is any different than the Pimax Experience) is a Unity app built on PVR (the native interface for Pimax). So it shouldn’t even use SteamVR.

What @Finn you mixed up a little bit is the difference between OpenXR and OpenComposite. You are actually talking about OpenComposite, a program that emulates the OpenVR interface on top of OpenXR, in order to make applications written for OpenVR not use SteamVR on platforms where OpenXR is supported without SteamVR.

And just in case it’s not complicated enough, Pimax does not officially support OpenXR natively without SteamVR. So you only get benefits from OpenComposite and OpenXR when using PimaxXR, a 3rd party tool that I made that implements OpenXR on top of PVR (the native interface for Pimax) and therefore lets you use OpenXR applications or OpenVR applications with OpenComposite directly without SteamVR.

Now read this message again, and take a shot of alcohol for every time I used the words “OpenVR”, “OpenXR” and “SteamVR” :smiley:

10 Likes

Has anyone tried this solution…

I will try it as soon as I can.
Good luck :slight_smile:

1 Like

This really sounds promising.

I am not using Steam VR at all

3 Likes

PimaxXR runtine with Opencomposite work arounds? or Oculus Mode?

If either of thr above then pimax may need to see if they can adjust things similar to SteamVR debug as described 2 or 3 posts up.

@PimaxQuorra can you pass that reddit link over to the team to evsluate?

I tried to adjust vsynch to photons but steam vr just crashes when I open developer settings so unable to affect the change for testing.

I just tried this “vsync_to_photons_increment” adjustment. Good news is that it makes it better, but it doesn’t fix it completely, and you have to do this tweak everytime you start steamVR. For me, an adjustment of +9 seems to be the sweetspot. This, in combination with the fact that my brain most likely has adapted somewhat to this issue, it gives me an acceptable experience.

3 Likes

Is there any update from either Nvidia or Pimax please? @PimaxQuorra

I have 2 Pimax headsets gathering dust for 5 months now.

Just wanted to give you an update, because I wanted to test again with a stock bios (only the ram on 3600 15c oced). Unfortunately I still can’t understand your problem. :thinking:

I’m really sorry I couldn’t help you. :frowning:

You mean you don’t understand what is causing the problem, right?

Not that you don’t understand what symptoms I’m getting?

Can be both due to individual sensitivities to different effects. ie he is not seeing the issue you and otgers affected are either due t9 differences in his pc setup and/or his sensitivity to the issues described.

MixrealityTV for example had a sensitivity to a latency that for most ppl would require a special tap test to see. He noticed this with the original KS 8k hmd. Those of us who also received the 8k were not affected by the issue and had thought incorrectly he was inflating something not there. It was his unique sensitivity to this issue that made the 8k unpleasant and he assumed naturally if he could clearly see it abd be bothered by it; so would everyone else. And thus pushed the 5k+ as the best choice.

Nvidia recently acknowledged there recent driver causes some cpu issues. I posted an article on it on the forum.

However yes pimax should have had some kind of update on this issue with the new Pimax Client released. @PimaxQuorra can you push the software product team to update on this issue as well as @mbucchia request to have fixes implemented that are needed for OpenXR?

3 Likes

I do believe that you have the problem. But it doesn’t seem to happen with every hardware combination. This is exactly what makes it difficult for Pimax to identify and narrow down the cause. In terms of latency, I don’t have any discrepancies with my old graphics card, as long as I choose the settings so that the graphics card is utilized at a reasonable 90-98%.

Hope, pi/nvidia find a solution for you.

2 Likes

I didn’t have any problems you my old graphics card either. Only with the 4090. Swapping the 3090 back in no latency, 4090 in, latency.

1 Like

Yes, the pc forums are now full with VR latency topics on almost every HMD on some 4090 machines. :confused:

2 Likes

I do feel it is an Nvidia problem to sort. It is not Pimax’s fault because something changed in the 40 GPUs.

3 Likes

Dead thread but I am still having to either install or uninstall MSI centre every time I want to play VR. Any news anyone?

3 Likes

@PimaxQuorra ?

Not expecting anything official from pimax :joy: They are too busy delaying the crystal and building Nintendos, thanks for trying though

4 Likes

Still good to poke them as we have been requesting proper release notes for years and years now.

Seems everyone is building a switch inspired device. Pimax’s was originally a Qualcomm project started now over a year ago.

1 Like