Can We Get Acknowledgement of the Pimax Specific RTX 4090 Latency / Lag Issue please?

Roger that Jonny and thank you very much for your labors to find it as I’ve spent days on this and I’m certain you did as well. The performance of my system is great now and I’m very relieved as well knowing it’s not an unsolveable hardware issue. I hope AMD/Nvidia will investigate this further and implement whatever MSI did to fix their VR issue so everyone can enjoy their new hardware and put this all behind us.

2 Likes

In order to perhaps avoid such frequent un- and reinstalling:

Did you try to simply deactivate auto-start on Windows boot of MSI Center and Mystic Lights, and then launch it manually before VR, and shut the services down again after VR?
Perhaps, something just gets messed up while booting or when running a certain time in background… :thinking:

Just an Idea :slight_smile:

1 Like

Rapid spinning display? Are you by chance xping this in Unity based games?

Otherwise iirc correctly in 9-axis mode there is an option to do Horizon? calibration. I have not used it back when I had no lighthouses. You may need to check with filing a support ticket possibly as they may need to perhaps to take a look with a remote session.

@PimaxQuorra please review this topic as it seems the members here may have new details that will help with 4090 issues described here.

@TonytotheB it seems there might be a fix here of sorts that is working.

1 Like

It would be something to try as iirc @SweViver used to use Zotac Nvidia program vs ? msi way back when.

This may be totally unrelated, but I have had similar stuttering problems with my Pimax5K+ and RTX3060 gpu.

I did a bunch of things to solve it, using lower versions of PiTool and firmware helped a bit, but the thing that really solved the problems was this:

Well, actually the first time I tried it, it nearly bricked my headset (Screens going black shortly after connecting the headset), but now that I tried it again, it works really well :sweat_smile:

In short, this hack does a complete uninstall of the GPU drivers, and installs a custom, de-bloated driver.

1 Like

Hello,

Thanks for the ping, Dan.

I’ve invited the developer to look into this thread; with the new information, they might be able to discover a solution.

1 Like

Can I just clarify - before messing with this stuff - this is for the jitter issue but does not resolve the lag problem? Is that correct?

I ask as I don’t have the jitter, only the lag. So don’t want to mess if not necessary or beneficial.

Sorry but I haven’t actually experienced the latency issue, thought that may have been related to my stutters but seems not.

However MSI centre did resolve another strange issue above so might be worth trying.

1 Like

The MSI/Mystic Light processes start even with auto-start disabled in settings.

Here was my test tonight:

-Launch PC: Stutter
-Install MSI: Stutter
-Restart PC: Stutter
-Close all MSI/RGB Processes: Stutter
-Uninstall MSI: Uninstall fails and doesn’t ask for admin permissions, leaves mystic light installed somewhere but does remove MSI centre. Seen this once before, maybe because I hadn’t launched the programme yet. Stutter.
-Reinstall MSI Centre (Mystic Light Shows as Already Installed): Stutter
-Uninstall MSI: Uninstalls correctly and Stutter disappears.

So yeah, really still have to do what I’m doing unfortunately. At least MSI centre is a windows app so it doesn’t take too long.

No not unity based but all VR games ie IL2 ,MSFS 2020 etc. Yes I tried Horizontal Cal to no effect. Initially could not connect to the HMD with lock ups, vid driver crashes and when finally connected I got either a slide show graphics or rapidly spinning screen with great frame rates like rolling downhill inside and acrylic sphere. Wow was that disorienting. After installing MSI center I have no issues connecting to the HMD and really good frame rates. I do still have an issue remaining though and it’s like the headset display encounters rotational inertia when turning my head in all directions. The displayed graphics lag behind my head rotation and the severity of the lag depends upon the speed of the HMD rotation rate. When I turn my head slowly it manages to keep up but not when I turn rapidly and that gets a little nauseating when playing my air combat sims. I’m using the HMD’s 9 axis tracking system and that has always worked correctly for me before albeit with minor amount of drift that requires an occasional recenter in game. My system specs are as follows. MSI X670 Pro motherboard 7700X cpu 32 Gigs G Skill 6000 memory XFX 7900XT and cheapo 1 TB ssd non nvme as the system is still on the test bench. Pimax 5K super HMD.

1 Like

I just updated to 528.02, and the latency on fast head movements is now gone for me.

4 Likes

Never tried 528.02 until now as reports here suggested no change. Unfortunately I’m in that category as well, it’s actually even worse as this driver introduced ghosting as well :frowning_face:

1 Like

I tried it and lag is still bad. 522.25 still the smallest lag.

I’ve got a Gainward 4090 since yesterday and first installed and tested it with the former 527.56 => slight lags, although a little less annoying than with the 4080 imho.

Later that day, I upgraded to 528.02. => no change, still slight lags, no improvement compared to 527.56.

Given all these issues with the new HMD’s from Nvidia and AMD, I think I will keep my 3090 through the beta testing of the crystal and likely until after the 12K’s release. By then both companies should have this sorted. In the meantime, SweViver said the Crystal would bo ‘ok’ on a 3070, so it should be fine on the 3090.

2 Likes

I almost pulled trigger and brought 4090 but now im holding off until this all gets sorted out as well. 3080 still good enough.

3 Likes

There’s a post on the VR subreddit claiming disabling direct display helps with tracking lag, if anyone wants to try this.

I already experimented with this to try and fix my stutters a while ago, no luck.

I’m still installing and uninstalling MSI centre every day but is working flawlessly at least :confused:

2 Likes

Had same lag issue with 8KX and Asus TUF 4090 OC in iRacing. I returned the card because it was unusable with this issue. I’m now considering to get MSI card, but I’m quite sceptical it will be any different than Asus.

Pimax, please give info have you found what is causing this and when we get fix for this !!

I have pre orderd Crystal, but I think I won’t buy it, until it’s sure that it don’t have same lag issue.

1 Like

Its really disappointing that this issue hasnt.been addressed by nvidia. It seems its a problem with other vr headsets as well.

2 Likes

That worked surprisingly well. I finally played bonelab without stutter by the MSI install/uninstall method. Kudos to you!

2 Likes