Buying the 4090 this wednesday

Depending on which country you live, that can be a long ride

i had to laugh as i did built it into my machine,…what can i say, it is good, green hell large fov maxed out, it is awsome.
Asgards wrath lone echo 2 , good perfomance ! on high.

Tomorrow i hope to find the time to play more instead of testing.
It is finally possible to play.
i want to try cyberpunk, vorpX , horizons all that stuff and see.Guru 3 d had nice tips for Oc of my tuf oc card, i was not able to get the msi, the gainward phantom is a good option, to save money.
I like mil standards so i had the tuf in in second option.Just not so easy to get one smaller shops can be a good option :wink:

2 Likes

tried with render scale 175 and yeah the res is huge,around 25-35fps at all high settings,dont see much diff in clarity tho,much rather prefer 100 at 45fps motion smoothed.

1 Like

awesome,i also got the TUF,very thick boy

1 Like

Haha I love that tiewrap for extra support

Ah ok thx for doing that

better be save than sorry.i could not stand it of it would break my board…

How did you guys do it ?

Haha I totally agree, I’ll probably do something like that too.

So it’s looking like initial results are most of the 4090 models seem to be working on the 8KX without a problem. I’ve heard there may be some problems with the Gigabyte models compatibility with the 8KX (but I haven’t looked into that). JayzTwoCents said the 4090 Strix wouldn’t POST on his Taichi motherboard (which is the AIB model I was most interested in and the motherboard I happen to have… so glad I didn’t get one).

I only made a vague attempt at getting a 4090 on launch day. I figured if it turned out to be easy to get an FE, then I’d get it. But FEs were, of course, already sold out. I turned down the option to buy a Gigabyte 4090 at a local store (it seems 4090s sold out in 10-15 minutes online but did not actually all sell out on the first day in physical stores). Not buying the Gigabyte seems to have been the right call.

So the question for me is: What now?

I was concerned there could be big compatibility problems with the 8KX with launch 4090s, but so far that doesn’t seem to have been an issue for most models. And the reviews of the various models seem to be concluding that there is virtually no difference in performance between any of them including the FE.

So what are people’s thoughts about which 4090 models I should consider buying? And especially what are your thoughts on how to actually buy one?

I never got on the train with the 30 series cards and trying to obtain one in the middle of their long non-availability. I waited a long time until there was an easy way to get one. I wasn’t in any hurry in that case.

But with the 4090, I’m a lot more interested in getting one sooner. So I would appreciate advice on how.

Join the FixitFixit Discord. it’s one of the largest notification discords for tech stock around. They even let you get a roll to scan for cancelled Best Buy purchases in local stores that you can go and pick up yourself. They scan all the places like Newegg, Best Buy, Amazon, etc.

As for the models, honestly almost anything. The FE seems like it’s only being sold via invitation links Nvidia sends out via Geforce Experience. But anything else is fair game. Imo I don’t think it’s worth overpaying for things like the Strix because all the cards are so close together. Buy the cheapest you can get. The cooling is all insane on these anyway because the coolers were way overbuilt for 600w TBP. If you can get one of the non-OC versions at MSRP, do it. Because I expect they’ll do what happened last time where non-OC models are only sold around launch and the phased out for upcharged OC models to give the company higher margins. The TUF OC, for example, is 200 bucks more than the non-OC, despite virtually no change.

1 Like

Well you can’t do worse than myself. I bought a MSI Gaming trio on ebay and paid you don’t want to know. It’s coming, but MSI Trio has a dirty secret: It doesn’t have a vapor chamber and ALSO has a three pronged adapter plug as well, limiting it to 450 watts!

It’s probably getting returned at my cost.

1 Like

I have that card, yes it doesn’t have 4 adapter plugs but afaik 600W cards are no faster…something to do with being limited by voltage and not watts. What does not having a vapor chamber mean? Tbh i did 0 research on 4090s, i bought this 1 within 30 secs of release lol i just wanted 1 that wasn’t priced much more than the FE. It’s the same price actually £1699. Timespy extreme benchmark is similar to other 4090s i’ve seen results for (non overclocked). It’s quiet. Seems to get a bit hotter than the temps i’ve seen other 4090s reports though.

While Oc does not make so much sense on those cards (you get +8% over +500 watts on a tuf oc 4090) i did chose to run it at the default(which has 1percent more performance, with the good cooler.

I wanted a suprim but it was not easy at least in germany to even get one.i did also pay 100€ more, but i bought my card from a smaller shop.
(they own 3 stores afaik) nevermind…

i was looking into those cards some days before i got one.
the gainward seems to me as a good price perfomance option.

I did get the Tuf because it uses mil standards and everything here ist also tuf…(exeption is the tower, that is a silent base 800)

well having that said, the coolers are overspect because they are all made for at least 600 or 650 watts and the card performs usually to the power target (450) or if you want to to 530 watts and its still good in temperatures.
the thing is you have to do the oc yourself.(CoreV, Ram and stuff)

ist that worth it and dies it make sense ? i would say not.
it performs awsome in Games like lone echo 2 asgards wrath on high or green hell, even with the large fov on the last one.even as it is.
Vorpex also runs good, i could not find the time for the luke ross stuff.(also in native 4k)

I’ve been doing a little research on this for you and tykey6, and I’m finding that even though there’s concern brought up in Internet discussions about it, actual tests of the card’s performance don’t seem to bear out that the Trio’s performance or temperatures are actually degraded versus other cards.

In fact, this video shows it scoring better temps than the Strix model and overall performing in line with all the other 4090s. https://youtu.be/29LY3ha7R6M

Also found a comment in a volt modding the Strix discussion:

“i have a msi gaming x trio 4090 and i was quite surprised to see it will overclock to 3090mhz with short peaks at 3105mhz, i didn’t expect that when i seen the 3 8pin adaptor cable and a power limit of 106 in afterburner. clearly it is not power limited so im surprised to see when voltage modded it suddenly becomes power limited, thats pretty damn interesting.”

In the last part of that, he’s referring to the Strix becoming immediately power limited when voltage is increased by not all that much despite its big power limit. The Strix was modified by soldering a hardware module to it that could force reprogramming it for higher than 1V, and this guy’s Trio was still matching its performance.

There’s a lot of overkill in these various AIB designs which is doing nothing.

3 Likes

posted some modded skyrim on the 8kx with 4090 thing hits 19gb vram usage :joy:

1 Like

The sad truth is, volt modding aside (I’d never do that prolly) I DO want the power to go ahead to up to 600W when needed and for it not to be limited by the stupid adapter. I have a 1000W power supply! Even if it means only 5% more, every time I see a frame rate counter showing 86fps I’ll think damn - almost 90…stupid cable! But all this assumes that if I had a 4-pronged cable it would allow 133% power, and it may be limited by other means, so not to assume too much about an adapter.

Well the ROG TRIX performs a few percent better than the FE in several games, which to me is worth the price difference. Maybe you can get similar results with other cards if you overclock them, I don’t know, but personally I hate overclocking. I did that when I was a kid but all that time and energy to get things right (and then still get crashes every now and then lol, because if it’s TOO stable, your overclocking is too low haha), to me it’s not worth it. I like top performance out of the box, hence I’m happy to see that the ROG TRIX gives that.

1 Like

What I’ve been seeing in reviews is that it’s about 1-3%. And this seems to apply to all AIB cards, not just the Strix. They’re all producing identical performance seemingly regardless of how wild they’ve gone with their designs.

The common thread in these reviews is that these cards are not thermal or power limited. They are voltage limited, and that is not something that they’re allowed to increase. So that’s what I mean when I say there’s a lot of overkill in these designs. Supposedly these were designed for 600W TDP because that’s what nVidia told them it was going to be, and then turned around and actually released 450W with an appropriate sized cooler for that themselves.

The AIB cards are able to get a little bit more than the FE, but for the most part their coolers and power handling have a lot of additional capacity which is simply wasted and doesn’t appear to help at all. Consequently we’re seeing lower models of AIB card generate identical performance results to higher models. A card like the Strix just has that much more wasted capacity. You’re getting literally zero additional performance for the $400 price difference compared to ASUS’s own lower tier TUF models.

According to one video I watched, even physically modifying a Strix to allow higher voltage did virtually nothing to get more performance out of it (though it did blow up the power draw). So far overclocking seems useless or close to it. nVidia seems to have left very little performance on the table for AIBs.

This would seem to give more context to eVGA dropping out.

But anyway, that seems to be the case as it stands right now interpreting all the reviews I’ve watched or read on this subject. The situation could change if someone finds a way to unlock more potential somehow and get meaningful value out of the bigger cards like the Strix.

1 Like

JayzTwoCents spends hours trying to move up the leaderboard overclocking the Strix. And then does just one run overclocking the FE, and tops the Strix’s best score immediately.

Jay mentions during this video that many of the top slots on the leaderboard are held by FEs.

Ok, haven’t seen any comparison yet of the different vendor cards against each other. Could indeed be that they all beat the FE in a similar fashion. What’s the link to that review?

Yeah but for me personally I’m not interested at all in overclocking and even less so with an air conditioner next to the card like that guy in the video haha. Not sure what the value even is of such test, who is going to put an AC next to their GPU? I mean maybe to some it’s interesting from a theoretical point of view (or just to ‘enter the charts’ with their result if you care about that) but it’s not really a setup that many people will use for gaming.

Anyway I just want out of the box performance. But to each their own.