Buying the 4090 this wednesday

This wednesday they release of the 4090 is taking place. Anyone here who is going to try to get one? If so, what’s your strategy? I wonder if all shops will start selling them at the same time or some will be earlier?

1 Like

i’m buying 1, either an FE or a one of the lower priced AIB’s like a Zotac, Inno, or MSI. I’ve got Telegram alert to tell me when they are in stock and have setup notifications on a couple of sites. I’ll also be F5’ing a particular site at slightly before 2pm UK time on wednesday as that’s when they are supposed to be available to buy. What is 2pm UK time in the US? About 9am depending on which coast you are located?

hmm good points to set up alerts at several shops, I had setup only at newegg but going to try some more.

Would make sense that they’d wait till 9AM west coast, but not sure if that’s how it works … They might also start at 9AM east coast.

EDIT hmm 2pm UK would actually be 9 AM east coast … So west coast people would need to get up early :slight_smile:

Getting a suprim x coolers are overspect, so oc should be easy possible.

I’m going to be looking to buy a 4090 at launch. That’s highly unusual for me. I normally wait a while on any new product. But in this case, I expect an 80% performance increase driving an 8KX will be amazing. So I guess you could say I’m buying a 4090 so I can run my 8KX in full maxed out glory on VRChat.

I’m leaning toward picking up an FE because I expect these to be more stable and well tested than the AIB cards. Especially considering the potential for trouble interfacing with the 8KX like we’ve seen with the 3090 Ti.

I don’t have any special plan as to how to purchase. Rumors say there’s going to be a 5 times larger stock of these cards than there was with the 30 series launch, and demand is expected to be lower. They may well not even sell out on the first day.

1 Like

My plan is to simply go to the shops. Bots will be all over Newegg. BestBuy doesn’t open until 10AM, so I figure I’ll be refreshing the screen in the car until they open, then make sure I’m in line when they do. Be sure not to have multiple pages open as I’ve heard they have bot detectors that will prohibit refreshing in that fashion.

I want to buy this card, but I am not sure it is wort the money. My consern is it dont have DP 2.0 only 1.4. Will that be a bottleneck on my 8KX??

The 8KX doesn’t itself have DP 2.0. So no.

OK, Great. thank’s for info.

1 Like

nothing yet …

EDIT yes got one, ordered the “ASUS ROG GeForce RTX 4090 Video Card ROG-STRIX-RTX4090-O24G-GAMING” from newegg, delivery the 18th.

Seems newegg has lots of stock indeed.

EDIT Although, hmmm this particular card is now soldout. I was just in time :slight_smile: Newegg still has others though.

EDIT2 Hmm now only 3 models left at newegg, rest sold out. I guess they’ll sell out in notime too.

So who else got one? And which one did you buy?

EDIT all models now completely sold out on newegg. Still took 10 minutes so a bit better than the 3090 launch. But of course @Sargon’s prediction that they ‘might not sell out on the first day’ was ‘slightly’ off again, took just 10 minutes :wink: As expected.

Anyway happy to have ordered one, can’t wait to drive my XTAL with this puppy.

1 Like

I got the TUF from Newegg, MSRP of the FE. I don’t value the ROG aesthetics to be worth an extra 400 damn dollars. Seems like it performs within margin of error of the FE. Though, will have to see if OCing changes anything with the beefier cooler.

Seems like the cards are going in and out of stock as I’ve seen the TUF do that about 3 times so far.

2 Likes

Yeah it’s not a good price/performance difference of course, you’re paying a lot for just a bit extra. But oh well, we’ll have to wait several years again for something better I guess, hence I’m going with the top card this time (I regretted doing not so with the 3090). Then again, who knows what the 4090TI will bring but oh well …

Hmm checked a few times, they’re all sold out at least on newegg.

What CPU are you planning to pair it with? I’m still on a 9900, so that needs upgrading too… I think I’ll wait for the 13900, should be out next week. Although the 7950x looks interesting too

I got a 12900k with DDR5 RAM at 6000mhz/CL30. Pretty balanced system that should make good use of it.

I game on flatscreen at 1440p, so this card is mainly for VR honestly. Although being able to supersampling to 4k as a form of AA and still have stupid FPS will be pretty nice.

1 Like

Nice!! So you’re all set haha that setup should do the trick.

1 Like

Hopefully! I plan on doing some benchmarking between the 3090 TI and the 4090 on my 8k X, before I sell off my 3090 TI to a buddy, because there’s so few VR benchmarks floating around in general. And the 4090 looks like the card that’ll finally drive current cutting edge HMDs with minimal to even no compromises in a good chunk of games, especially if you can use FFR or FSR. But most stuff really should not need FSR with this beast.

1 Like

Agreed, that’s what I’m hoping for, finally drive everything without compromises.

Should indeed be interesting to see some VR benchmarks.

I bought a MSI Gaming Trio X for the same as FE MSRP. All the AIB sellers here in the UK were sold out in a few minutes, the FE’s went in seconds :face_with_peeking_eye: Mine’s here tomorrow.

1 Like

Niceeee!! Looking forward to your experiences

1 Like