Buying the 4090 this wednesday

I picked up a 4090 FE online from Best Buy in Canada. No word on ETA yet, but I’d anticipate within a week. Not many AIB reviews published so far, so hopefully didn’t leave much on the table (maybe not, seems like nvidia really upped their game on this one). Either way, should be a great card :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I know you really like to take personal digs at me, but as usual you’re misrepresenting what I said in an effort to paint me as overoptimistic.

“Rumors say” as in not my prediction. This was speculation from several YouTubers. As I mentioned, I don’t normally take part in day 1 launches.

Also the cards being entirely sold out is just online. 4090’s are actually still in stock right now at my local retailers. However, I have decided that I want to get the FE model after watching Jay’s review of the ASUS Strix AIB this morning which only gains 2% over the FE for that giant oversized cooler. And the FE model is sold out at my nearest local retailer.

And that’s fine by me. I was going to attempt to get one if it turned out to be easy. And I actually could, but I don’t want to settle for just getting whatever model is available. Normally I wait to see what pain others experience with the launch day units before I buy. In particular, there’s still a question as to whether the 4090 will have the same interfacing problem with the 8KX that the 3090 Ti did. So I’ll be very interested to see the results from the people here who got them at launch.

Haha just having some fun don’t take it personally. Luckily I didnt pay any attention to your call and was ready sharp 9:00AM. The card I wanted sold out in just 2 minutes at newegg.

Anyway, as my CPU is outdated I figured to just build a whole new rig. But it seems it’s a bad timing. First the PSU, if you buy one now I think you’d want ATX3.0 PCIE5 (like the MSI MEG Ai1300P, Asus ROG Loki or Seasonic Vertex PX-1200), but they’re not very available, will become more available before the end of the year. Even worse is finding a consumer oriented PCIE5.0 NVME, there are none yet, but will also come available in the near future. So not sure what to do now, just build a PCIE4.0 based rig or not …

EDIT Damn, seems that at least that Seasonic will not even be available before december …

EDIT2 Actually I backordered the Thermaltake PS-TPD-1650FNFAGU-4, which is ATX3.0 and comes with that Gen.5 12VHPWR connector for the 4090. According to Newegg should be available in 2 weeks. It’s the only ATX3.0 PSU I could even find to (back)order at this moment.

Meanwhile I’ll just use my existing rig with an adaptor for the 4090.

Interesting article from NVIDIA about the 40 series and PSU’s: GeForce RTX 40 Series & Power Specifications | NVIDIA

ALMOST pulled the trigger on an 7950X but decided to wait and see how the 13900 holds up against it

I had several in my cart with Newegg, but when I’d go to pay it say they were sold out. I don’t think I’ll be getting one until the bots die down. Far as I can tell it’ll be a few weeks at least.

1 Like

Some more VR benchmarks are starting to show up. It’s still on the Index but holy hell, +65% the 3090 TI and +75% the non TI. That lines up with the benchmarks Babeltechreviews did I posted earlier.

3 Likes

what options are there?

The “bots” are more broke this time around due to inflation

Did you already receive yours?? Mine will be shipped out today, but will take a while before it’s in my hands

it should be here within the next 3 hours or so according to my delivery slot. fingers crossed there’s no problems.

It’s installed. Only had time for 1 test, msfs. Was getting 29 fps with 3080ti on specific settings. Same settings with 4090 was getting 45 fps, was cpu limited. So i upped the resolution in msfs, TAA 125 to 175, now i’m gpu limited, 34 fps.

2 Likes

It must look so sharp!

It does it looks great. I’m waiting for my 8KX prescription lens inserts from vr optician to arrive (shipping will be anyday now) as my eyesight isn’t the best but even so i can tell it’s sharp. Smooth too. Quiet and cool.

1 Like

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 VR with RTX 4090 on Pimax 8KX - YouTube strange i had about 2x from my 3080 went from 25fps to over 50,now i can finally play at 45fps motion smoothed normal fov

1 Like

hmm yes i am getting only 50% increase but that was over a 3080ti, not a 3080. and when at 125 TAA i am cpu limited (i7 7700/k), when i went to TAA 175 i was gpu limited. if u get chance, see what fps u get at :

TAA 175
Pitool 1.0
Normal fov
no motion smoothing

I’m getting mid 30’s,

will do,i also use foveated rendering

1 Like

ty, yeh me too FFR but no NIS/FSR.

I just stopped by to the computer street in Taiwan. There have tons of RTX 4090 and all kinds of models from different brands. I will not get any new GPU till nest year. But is good to know all I have to do is a bike ride to the shop