Bigscreen Beyond - 5k OLED and tiny

BigscreenVR and Arpara seem very similar but the Arpara allows you to plug directly into a phone and play movies. You’d think this would be a selling point if the Bigscreen HMD. Out of the two Arpara gets my nod if I was buying one or the other. But I’m not.

1 Like

Is Apara not Varpourware?! :thinking:

1 Like

You can buy now I think.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/Pancake-Micro-OLED-Lightweight-Accurate-Tracking/dp/B09ZV59DV6/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_sspa?keywords=アルパラ&qid=1676384510&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyR1VYNEJUNkszNkJRJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwOTIxMzEyMTZGQUtPQzhKUjVaOSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUExMTA3MzU4UlVJSDZVJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfcGhvbmVfc2VhcmNoX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

2 Likes

Can you imagine an Arpara v Crystal comparison?

No, you have been able to buy it from even before the Kickstarter, has even been sold on amazon (in Japan)

1 Like

Must watch lol

5 Likes

Anyone that has tried both has said Arpara basically sucks in comparison, and I am a ks backer haha.

But yeah the phone functionality is very nice although the app doesn’t work with my phone, but maybe that will be addressed if we ever get the KS orders.

2 Likes

Are Arpara working on a XR2 versions?

1 Like

Yeah, they already have made it and there are some Chinese and Japanese impressions. It was the main device in the KS. It hasn’t been for sale yet though, nor has anyone gotten a version of it yet as a consumer. Arpara have been silent for months now.

Fwiw, in November they did get FCC approved in the US so it seems like potentially there are still aimming for it but who knows. I’m of the opinion that us backers will never see the devices.

3 Likes

Thanks for the roundup. I never really followed Arpara till now.

Hope you get your unit sooner rather than later.

3 Likes

Same! It would be great for horror games, flight sims etc. Been a year of waiting now with 1/4 of that without any contact. Terrible company, if they do end up releasing I would suggest everyone to avoid.

2 Likes

as i say, varpourware

But you can buy it Ive given you a link.

It’s less vapourware than Crystal and the 12k.

Well, I don’t know of any in Germany, except for Seb, who got his.

Order one from Japan and find out.

1 Like

But you can literally buy it lol. It’s not vapourware (at least not the tethered version) but the crowd funding options were a scam.

3 Likes

I don’t care for this particualr HMD for its lack of a wireless option as that appears somewhat essential to enjoy the full benefit of its amazing form factor.

But slap a WiGig 2.0 to DP unit on the back of the DAS and give me an option to power it TPCast style via battery and I’ll put down ~€1.500-1.800 immediately.

I still find it remarkable that I was running my OG Vive wirelessly via TPCast in 2017(!) and we still don’t have a similar solution widely available 6 years later. Ofc standalone came and left a dent and my Pico4 is ok but ignoring video compression only works up to a point.

Apple will go with a wired battery and/or compute tether, I don’t see how that’s avoidable without some serious paradigm shifts when it comes to capacity/density capabilities of modern batteries.

1 Like

How do you figure? That price doesnt include base stations or controllers or headphones.

It cant be shared, resale will be low due to user specific fit.

Best thing about it is the god-like micro oled & size.

oh and good luck if you have to update your prescription.

If pimax made the same headset , I guatantee Mike from VR Oasis wouldn’t have helped them test.

1 Like

Yeah im guessing Quest 4.

1 Like

Wheres my kickstarter unit?

3 Likes