Asgard Wrath crashing on Pimax 8K

I’m running Windows 10 2004 (latest). Tried reinstalling all versions of VC redist but it didn’t help.

Managed to get some more info by attaching debugger at the time of crash:
[20-06-17 09:54:52][PVR] LibPVRClient64.dll Release
[20-06-17 09:54:52][PVR] build time:Apr 28 2020 10:25:07
[20-06-17 09:54:52][PVR] build version:23
[20-06-17 09:54:52][PVR] sdk version:1-22
[20-06-17 09:54:52][PVR] [APP]ovr 1.x
‘WrathGame-Win64-Shipping.exe’ (Win32): Unloaded ‘C:\Windows\System32\LibPVRClient64.dll’
Exception thrown at 0x00007FF9D7811A43 (LibPVRRT64_1_X.dll) in WrathGame-Win64-Shipping.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x0000000000000168.

I don’t know how all this is supposed to work, but I doubt LibPVRClient64.dll should be reloaded (since it is usually only loaded and initialized once at application start). LibPVRRT64_1_X.dll then crashes, possibly due to LibPVRClient64 not being loaded anymore. Could also be the other way around, that LibPVRClient64 gets unloaded due to the error.

I should probably test the behavior in Revive and see if the same pattern repeats when that crashes. Man I wish I could play this game…

1 Like

Thanks for the Update - only thing I can think of is asking sanzaru if they have a forum or asking the PiMax Software Guru @SweViver → Do you have any info on that? Could you ask about Asgards Wrath?

Edit:
They maintain a discord channel → we might try asking there:

Edit: Just as a Side thought… I had the case that a game saved data on a part of the onedrive area. OneDrive dislocated the file to the cloud and just had the link on the drive. The Game Would Crash and I had no idea why, until I looked and saw it was in the cloud only, keept the folder all on local storage and all was fine again.

1 Like

So same thing here, tried again with latest drivers, pitool 260, latest vc redist version, still crashes in the dome tutorial part.

1 Like

I am still using pi too 180 beta with my pimax xr , best experience so far :))

2 Likes

I asked in Discord, but nothing came from it…

Thanks @MReis, you’ve kept this topic alive. I actually found the problem now, at least for me… Drum roll

RUMBLE!

My index controllers rumble at the time of the crash. I also experienced crashes while using the laser cutter in Lone Echo, which also rumbles. I’m also crashing in Creed while using the threadmill, I wonder if that too rumbles…

So, disabling rumble in settings (click both thumbpads on index controllers to go to menu) fixes the issue. I get no rumble of course, but still!

It seems excessive rumble on Index controllers together with Pimax causes issues. Or one of my index controller is broken and dies from rumbling too much.

@Skyrimer, if this works for you as well it’d make my day. Although, my day is already made cause now I can play the friggin game!

6 Likes

Very interesting, I hope @PimaxVR takes note of this, I’ll give another try … when I download it again lol.

I actually have index controllers too, so maybe that’s why some people using Pimax don’t have this issue maybe they use Vive Wands instead.

2 Likes

It’s possible that the rumble feature uses a fair bit of electricity, which causes the DC voltage level to drop a bit. That might trigger issues with other electrical components in the controller. That might only affect specific controllers with a marginal component, which is fine if the voltage is a bit higher.

Yeah, that’s very possible. The HMD shouldn’t crash though, so I hope Pimax fixes that part of the problem. I’ve heard about Index HMD users experiencing lost tracking during intense rumble, but no crashes.

1 Like

True, the headset should not crash. It might be related to handling an out-of-spec data-packet or something like that.

1 Like

Hmmm @proxyon I can’t seem to access the config menu option you mention. Within Asgard Wrath clicking both thumbsticks or thumbpads just repositions my view, but no menu. Are you talking about the steam vr index menu, asgard wrath config menu, some sort of oculus menu? If it’s the steamvr index bindings menu, what should I change there? I don’t see any rumble or vibration option.

EDIT: It worked! So yeah it was Asgard Wrath menu, it took me some time to get it to pop up, and with rumble turned off the dome opened just fine and that rainbow bridge was there, I walked around and not a single issue.

Unbelievable that something like that was breaking the game, huge thanks @proxyon for this, I thought I’d wasted 40 euro, now I can finally play this VR masterpiece.

5 Likes

Hmm strange is I can’t remember that I changed that, quite contrary, I am sure that they rumble when the giant tree shows up at the beginning where you need to calibrate. I will check tonight.
But great that you finally got it to work!

1 Like

@MReis Do you use index controllers?

Press left touchpad (not thumbstick!) with whole thumb, harder, and hold it, that is way to open game menu. I was lost after upgrading on index controllers, but
mr. @dogbite explained it to me.
Short press is for current quest info.

Once while playing my controllers started buzzing without end, so I disabled it.

unrelated: Now I play as river elf, and only problem is wrong rendering of white mist without pp. Maybe I should play that part with pp on?

2 Likes

Weird I can play asgard wraith just fine. I did send both my index controller for rma and they sent me new ones.

2 Likes

Yes I do, got them end of last year.

1 Like

I also have that mist problem at the river with the elf.

2 Likes

when i use PIMAX5K+ and index controller I can’t open menu with left touchpad (pitool262)
and the game always jitter,how could I fix it??

Are you launching through pitool or revive?

I launching through pitool, or I need to try to use revive?