Asgard Wrath crashing on Pimax 8K

Today I tried Asgard Wrath on my 8K and it crashes both in revive and pimax native oculus support. I can get to the part where rainbow pass is about to open, and then I get black screen (and I mean full back screen like someone pulled the video cable / screen/panels off), then it crashed back to Steam VR Home.

I also tried Chained a victorian nightmare on viveport, I can see the credits at the beginning, the voice talking but the screen stays black (this time the panels are on but it’s black/dark grey ) , I can hear the sound effects but I can see nothing.

I hope @PimaxVR can give a hand mostly on Asgard Wrath, I’ve tried different render options, hz speeds, fovs, but nothing works.

My rig:
Windows 10 1809
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @3.60ghz
Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3200 PC4-25600 16GB 2x8GB CL16
MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX
NVIDIA 1080 Ti MSI AERO
Pitool 258, Nvidia 445.87

4 Likes

Same issue here, game crashes when the dome is opening. Tried different SS settings, different ways to run the game (revive, pitool), all to no avail.

I’m running a 5k+ on a RXT 2080 Ti GPU with a Ryzen 7 3800X CPU.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing, I’m surprised @PimaxVR is not doing anything to fix one of VR biggest games not working properly on their headsets.

2 Likes

I am playing Asgard Wrath with the 8k+ (and 5k+ before) …
I haven’t tried with 260 but up to 259 I had no problems so far with it. Only the loading screens flicker, game works like a charm.

4 Likes

Can you share your specs?

1 Like

I will try tonight. I get pretty bad performance on high graphics in the pimax on normal fov, so I preferred to play on quest for now for this game. Had no issues with the game in previous pitools however.

1 Like

Why are you running Steam VR?

2 Likes

Well since it didn’t work with Pimax native oculus support, I also tried revive which uses steamvr.

2 Likes

Ah I see. Never used Revive. Didn’t realize it runs SVR

1 Like

Sure in terms of config or hardware? (9900k and 2080TI)
Edit: Update:

armature mobile device through the lens shot at the level where I am currently (meeting the Bear) with those settings.

2 Likes

Thanks, so at least it works for someone.

I wonder if it is just the tutorial that is broken, and the rest of the game works fine.

1 Like

I have to admit, i am not sure If i did the tutorial, I got it at day 1.
So you do see the Tree Giant at the beginning and the Menu? And then in the Tutorial it crashes?

Yes, it crashes after the turn left, turn right and the dome then opening.

I’ve read reports about crashes at this part of the game, but that should have been fixed in 1.4.0 according to the release notes.

1 Like

Got it working in 259 now, thanks a bunch! I guess the 260 release isn’t really stable yet…

3 Likes

Hey that’s good! Its a nice game of which we really need more of in VR!
What else did you change (I am not sure if it works on large, some games go bonkers if its to large, but I belive I set it to normal just for more FPS )

@Skyrimer - might try the same approach/settings as @proxyon ?

That’s interesting, I’m on 258. I may try different Pitool versions and check it out, the thing is 258 has been so solid and stable I don’t like to change much, but I suppose I’ll give it a try.

1 Like

I was only able to get by the crash once, directly after downgrading to 259… But I restarted the game and now it keeps crashing at the same place again. I guess the game is simply not stable on my GPU/CPU combination.

Event Viewer shows the error when crash occurs:
OVR_Launcher_x64.exe, module ucrtbase.dll, exception code: 0xc0000409
And crash log from engine shows no useful info, just a generic crash but seemingly not due to OOM.

1 Like

Whats your Windows Version?
Just a guess: I believe to have read before the ucrtbase.dll has been listed in combination with VC redistributable and other games (none VR) as possible to causing errors, by which the urcrtbase is just the point where it will blow.

Might want to update the VC Redistributable?

2 Likes

Interesting, thanks for the suggestion!. I’m installing the latest version of the redistributable and updated pitools, now I only have to download 80gb of Asgard Wrath and give it a try, so this is going to take a while.

1 Like

Yes game size is crazy, in the flat gaming World we play soma CoD - they have giant patches what feels like every other day - almost glad I don’t have much interest in flat gaming, every time a download is done it seems the next big patch is out.

2 Likes