Artisan basic through the lense

But do you see them on the other pimax headsets? It seems that some people don’t see distortion on other pimax headsets neither. So it would be interesting to hear opinions from people who did see distortion on 5k+/8k+ but not on the Artisan. This because MRTV claims that the Artisan has less distortion, but pimax themselves claim that there should be no difference

3 Likes

No I don’t own any other Pimax, just been seeing videos of people that own 8kplus, 5kplus, I think the distortions is from the wider FOV on those, I’m sure when they use smaller FOV the distortions aren’t bad, I was just commenting that this Artisan, I don’t see any at the large fov for it, so if the others headsets do have it because of the bigger fov, I’m not buying one then, until it’s free of distortion on the sides like this headset. This thing is a beauty from my Rift S and Cosmos and Odyssey +. Sorry I couldn’t be more of help.

3 Likes

No magic involved. Ludx and others have proven that you can configure for a sharp image on the 8k+. There is NO HARM producing a video that helps customers get the most and the maximum value out of their new 8K+.

It is stunning with optimal configuration and it’s important that it is common knowledge how to setup.

5 Likes

Anything you can do to improve each user’s experience and HMD sold is good.

But ludx like others continue to prefer Artisan to 8K +, evidently this product has the right balance of factors to work well. Why penalize this product with a non-Vision housing? Why not make a version that includes Vision housing and MAS at a good price?

So there would be 2 excellent products in Pimax. Artisan for Room Scale players who would alternatively take Index and 8KX for SIM enthusiasts

1 Like

When you have well configured + vs a well configured Artisan the + wins. The arguments you hear are mostly about price. We also have a lot more running room for firmware improvements for the +.

At the moment the changes you suggest would drive the Artisan very close to the price of the + so we’d wind up with a device that is a little bigger than the “small” fov at a much lower input resolution for a small price difference.

There are strategies that may seem obvious but really when you have the full spectrum of information it’s not simple at all.

7 Likes

To my knowledge there is not a single Lensshot comparison between artisan and other headsets including the other pimax models.

Only Ludix made a comparison in a video, but unfortunately only the screensaver image with the pimax logo. I noticed that the brightness of the Artisan was much lower compared to 8k/5k and the SDE was very, very bad. The sharpness was bad too. Maybe bad comparison…. I hope sweviver makes another one.

3 Likes

Thank you for considering my videos.
But yes I am not equiped to make good through the lens video that is why I made only a small one.
They both are very good headset anyways, depend on the size of your wallet and your GPU but the Artisan might be the best ratio price/image quality.
When I play BeatSaber I prefer the Artisan but for Sim I do prefer the 8k+.

The 8K+ is brighter than the Artisan yes but you can apply differents setting to lower that difference, but for recording I made them with the same settings, was logical to me to see how different they were.

Anyways, told you guys, months ago, the Artisan is a very very good headset. :+1::+1:

6 Likes

We’ll try to put something together that give a nice compare between different device and include some guides on how to achieve the best results yourself.

In the future we want to make all this automatic so that people can get the best results out of the box. That is more important on the + than any other headset we make. If the 8k+ had a high degree of auto config it would win these contests hands down every time.

It has plenty of other advantages too that are not often reported that go way beyond the obvious like the housing and the SDE etc. Hopefully we can contrast the differences in a way that makes it into the conventional wisdom.

8 Likes

What really makes people dismiss Pimax products is distortion; when you ask people what they think of Pimax products they always dismiss them for that.

2 Likes

And many don’t see any distortion… None the less

5 Likes

Even Valve admitted that it’s very complicated to make a distortion free image on wide FoV. If even Valve thinks it’s very difficult, then maybe Pimax shouldn’t even try. I mean I hate distortion too but most people don’t see it or care about it, so Pimax is probably right to leave it at that. Too difficult to fix it, which means it would cost too much money.

I think eventually it will be the big players who will solve it. I’m sure companies like FB or Valve would want to fix it first, before releasing a wide FoV headset. Valve even said so themselves, that to them a distortion free image is the very most important parameter to them, for good VR

1 Like

I think it’s not an easy solution that just does it.
Its a lot of things that most likely would need a complex interacting mechanical, optical and software solution that adjusts best possible to individual physiognomy on many factors
or they would need to come up with something with a different approach to getting the light to the eyes

Not only do many not see it the percentage who see it now compared to the summer of 2018 is dramatically less due to all the updates and improvements. At CES and the roadshows like 3 people out hundreds commented about it. Heck even when we ask directly at the events it’s now rare.

Thing is we will keep improving both existing headsets and new ones via distortion profiles, improved accessories like the Comfort Kit, upgraded options and higher refresh rates whenever possible. We consider all of that part of the value we offer that maybe some of the other guys aren’t interested in providing.

5 Likes

And or, many who saw it previously have learned (the brain has a way of blending away annoyances) to ignore it even though it may still be there to a certain degree. When I stop to think of it, I still see edge distortion somewhat but it doesn’t bother me like it used to. The immersion throws up a veil.

3 Likes

Exactly its like they hate to promote the Artisian,its a great headset embrace it.

1 Like

I can agree there is 0 distortion on the Artisian.

2 Likes

But did you see distortion on other pimax models?

Not too much forced auto configuration, I hope. Hate it when mandatory, nebulous “magic” all-in-one “solutions” take options away from the user. :confused:

1 Like

I totally agree with that. We don’t plan to take any options away but instead provide an optional menu that can set the configuration.

4 Likes

Great!

If PiTool could list all settings that are affected by a preset, that would be helpful!

(For all I know, that feature could already be there - it’s been a while since I had a Pimax headset.)

Maybe something like an asterisk, or other relevant symbol, next to each option encompassed - changed to e.g. an exclamation mark, if subsequently modified by the user, with the pop-up option to restore the preset value, on clicking it…

2 Likes