Apple VR - ‘Sooo Good’ (June 5)

Team Blue Steel.

(EDIT: Granny Weatherwax can be quite acerbic, too… :P)

1 Like

The interesting questions will be
a) will Apple allow Virtual Desktop on the device, so SteamVR games can be streamed?
b) will it be OpenXR compatible?
Cannot imagine that a 3k€ device that few people have would be considered viable enough from developers side to write lots of applications from scratch for this. And cannot imagine that many will pay 3k€ for a device if no software exists. a+b could be a good way to get rid of that hen and egg problem.

If we take the Apple BOM and take away all the external stuff and keep the Optics and Panels you get a £1500 Index 2 lol

If you were offered the iPhone in 2006 for 3k, would you as a developer say „nah, hardly anybody has it, not worth the effort“?

If you did, you missed out big time.

The 2023 device is more of a PoC & devkit.

4 Likes

If this thing has a DP port connection, then hacking it for SteamVR compatibility is going to be a huge thing.

1 Like

Good point. The iPhone was revolutionary though, offering entirely new capabilities (well, at least regarding user interfaces).
Will be interesting whether Apple will bring anything to the table that conceptionally couldn’t be done/developed with other, much cheaper headsets. And they would probably have to give a very concrete vision when consumer devices can be expected then and which feature set those will offer (particularly if it is only a subset).
But we’ll see. Perhaps the “it’s from Apple” factor is already enough to convince developers to invest their time and money up front.

2 Likes

Apple Reality Pro XR Headset production leak reveals new details

1 Like

Not many details in that post.

A yield rate of 20% in early stage development sounds - expensive…

1 Like

Certainly not pissing around with cheap displays

4 Likes

Whoop todays the day!

3 Likes

Same as above with MRTV Seb comments on top.
Aaand gone.

Time to continue your list…

1 Like

Apple Vision Pro

IMG_9768

2 Likes

IMG_9769
IMG_9770

2 Likes

Well, some really good features, but on the app side it‘s still very conservative, lots of simple 2D screens floating in space. I had hoped for more especially on the virtual conferencing/social communication part, some kind of virtual avatar with realistic face & body. The face is there if the counterpart is using a Vision Pro too, but not too impressive.

But I still consider it a good launch - Apple is officially in the game! And in 2 years we‘ll get the first consumer version truly aiming at a greater market.

Let‘s see what Ben Lang & Co. report in the coming hours, but at current I am relaxed knowing I don‘t need to sell a kidney. I‘m happy to wait two years till they have learned what to do with the new hardware on the app side.

4 Likes

I think Apple are looking at the 40+ market rather than gamers to begin with.

Looking forward to finding out the details. FoV etc. Apple were really vague.

Much higher than rumoured.

1 Like
2 Likes