Apple Vision Pro's launch

2 Likes

It should be possible to pull the rendered fov data from the AVP headset driver, assuming it works like other HMD in that respect.

I’m getting 109x109 on my Index measured in headset using developer Boll’s excellent Wimfov tool which locks the display as unwanted head movement tends to exaggerate field of view markers in steamVR test environments.

Personally have 63.5mm ipd with 0.5mm left offset and 1mm vertical offset, using 3d printed wide Index base and custom pu cushion :kissing_heart:

Something to consider is that Field of View is dynamic and not even constant from frame to frame whilst head in motion, Wimfov measures your own maximum fov rather than maximum rendered.

small adjustment of ipd to centre optical eyebox, and Z distance (lens depth/eye relief) depending on your physiology / craniofacial fit has noticeable consequences for both measurable and perceived field of view / stereo overlap.

Personally I’ve never had satisfactory through the lens camera shots compared viewing to directly with MK1 hairy eyeball

3 Likes
4 Likes

That’s super interesting to hear, I didn’t think ALVR was that good already on the AVP. I’ll hopefully be getting a lend of one soon to test so will be trying ALVR asap ha.

4 Likes

Honestly also haven’t even tried it yet, didnt really bother, just like you I figured it would not be that high quality. On the Quest3 I barely use SteamVR streaming for that same reason, I don’t like the visual impact it has. But probably need to try it LOL.

2 Likes

Now here comes high def sunlight.

1 Like

Hehe that guy didn’t get it. Obviously the reason for such high nits is pancake where only a small percentage reaches the eye. But as @PimaxUSA once correctly noted this will bring some heat management issues to the table since the energy will be converted to heat.

1 Like

At a 10:1 ratio we’ll see 1000 nits to the eye, that’s pretty bright compared to a TV that only covers a fraction of your eye sight. I think 1000 nit displays are usable in sun light so pretty on par with real life.

I’m sure technology will move with the times with regards to heat. Attaching heat pipes to the lenses might be a good idea lol

Watching Dune with 1000 nit heat might add to the experience.

1 Like

Indeed will only yield at max nits 500 - 1000 nits through the pancake. Then you also need to minus brightness further to combat persistence. And then of course the extra heat etc… still cool.

Was reading Burbusters has some test panels that can do 1000hz flickerfree and apparently the 4090 can drive enough frames to match up with 1000fps. They are in talks to see if they might demo it next year at GDC iirc. Bump me will see if can find link for it later.

This might have the detail.

1 Like
2 Likes
1 Like

https://www.reddit.com/r/VisionPro/s/Cvy59nGHj6

1 Like

This is promising. If any of you know how to weld… You should check out the free 20m demo of the $1000 welding ap.

1 Like

Peak: is simple Op is on a plane(no he is not the pilot :joy:)

1 Like

https://www.xrtropolis.one/t/we-lived-a-full-marvel-studios-what-if-vr-experience/1845?u=heliosurge

This sounds cool.

1 Like

https://www.xrtropolis.one/t/teardown-apple-vision-pro/1873?u=heliosurge

AVP Teardown

1 Like
1 Like

Kinda agree. I still REALLY love mine but not using it that much. Then again, not using my Q3 much neither. Hopefully some good news will come monday at WWDC regarding new features.

1 Like

Just watched the AVP announcements at WWDC. So it will go on sale in several countries june/july, I think they said Canada june, Germany and UK july. Definitely go and check it out at an Apple store near you if you can, even if you’re not planning to get one, it’s an awesome demo that I’m sure everybody who visits this website will enjoy.

Not sure about the new features though, the volumetric API could be interesting. Other than that I didnt see any new mind blowing features

EDIT I see that native mouse support is coming that’s interesting. So that’s at least a breakaway from the original thought that you should do everything without controllers. Now all they need to do is release 3D controllers too LOL.

EDIT Vision Pro is Leaving US Exclusivity as Apple Set to Launch in New Countries Starting This Month

4 Likes

Been waiting for AVP to arrive in London will certainly book a demo once available. Recently had demo with Crystal Light very nice to be trying new equipment again!

2 Likes