Apara Micro Oled HMD Discussion

Yes only time will tell. Hopefully the CES prototype gives an accurate representation of the final product. Wondering if the lens tooling and displays are finalised?

3 Likes

The 1st thing i did was to contact them via their contact form on their website asking when is the hmd available and someone replied feb 2022 but yeah since then ive seen them say elsewhere its end of nov/start of dec 2021.

2 Likes

Ok, so it sounds like Kickstarter starts end of November and hopefully ships in Feb of 22. That wouldnt be bad

2 Likes

I agree yes this is what it sounds like, feb isn’t far away. From what ive read though, this hmd was due for release aug 21, so it’s already delayed, lets hope it isn’t delayed further. On another subject, i’m not backing the kickstarter with $399 until someone like Seb @ MRTV has given his approval of the light house tracking module (he says he’s getting the module this month). I’m even more skeptical of the AIO, i want to see opinions on the inside out tracking and controllers before i part with $599.

1 Like

Sounds like they have the same time scheduler as Pimax. Warning bells are going off…

1 Like

Possibly.
I’ve just been on their Facebook, a few people have asked “when is the headset coming out” and they replied “end of this month” but i don’t know if that means the kickstarter or the actual headset so ive posted a comment asking them to clarify. Re-reading the email they sent me, it does seem like its only the kickstarter that starts this month or dec and they will ship feb 2022.

2 Likes

Indeed have been wondering why Sword Lite controllers have not been said to have started shipping end of last month and no update on them either.

1 Like

OLED panels - even the latest samples are often totally unworkable for VR due to the power up issue. I haven’t seen one yet that could be run at the design spec level in a headset. If you don’t hold them in a powered state there are all sorts of issues with refresh. For TV’s this doesn’t pose a problem (your eyes aren’t 2mm from the screen).

They would need a very high run rate to even make a small dent in Quests numbers and the level of supply chain commitment required would be prohibitive. Plus the run rate for new panels is low especially in the first year or two and the production group also has to make multiple large investments for that to happen.

Very little ships during Feb window. Even if you don’t build your headsets in China many parts will originate from there. I would think Jan or March+.

1 Like

Arpara have confirmed their intentions: kickstarter is end nov/early dec, shipping feb 22.

1 Like

Hmmm, we specifically(Pimax Users) have heard that before.

Remember when the 8K kickstarter was going on in October 2017

they said it was expected to ship Jan / Feb. lol

Fool me once…

4 Likes

I wasn’t really aware of pimax in 2017 but i know what you mean.
When 8kx kickstarter was going in oct 2017, had any 3rd party actually got the 8kx in their hands and demonstrated it etc, like what MRTV has very recently done with arpara 5k?
Seb has said he’s getting the light house tracking module sometime this month. If he says that’s working ok then it seems like a pretty finished product to me, i will part with my cash and wait.

2 Likes

The 8kx was shown as to be released after the other 2 headsets. 8k and 5k+ were shown back then.

But samples and production totally different animals. Not hard to build 10 or 20 of a complex product - 1000+ = difficult. All sorts of systems needed that are mostly unrelated to the design and a lot of it has to be custom.

Indeed pimax was a year late with the first 2 headsets 5k+ & og 8k then another full year+ for the 8kX(originally was supposed to be about 6 months from other 2 hmds) along with the controllers that are still mia 2 years later. Though am guessing the controllers should ship before xmas.

3 Likes

Ah right ok, understood.

I think this arpara headset is already for sale in china though, I have seen many people leaving reviews for receiving this headset and share their box opening and experience brief reviews, and they are all fully packaged as in retail packaging.

think they just doing kickstarter for global release and publicity.

3 Likes

looks to be a really nice media consumption device.
4k original vs through the lens arpara 5k, vs quest 2, vs immers

I had to register to the website to unlock 1080p streaming, wow what a step up from quest 2. I think i will get this for now because its available and while waiting for pimax 12k.

arpara 5k vs hp g2

I asked the arpara admin about the refresh rates of each resolutions supported this is the response they given. looks like 12k will be vastly superior in this part of comparison.

Arpara VR Headset

Admin

arpara tethered

resolution max refresh rate

1920x1080 120Hz

3840x1080 120Hz

3840x1920 90Hz

5088x2544 70Hz

arpara AIO

resolution max refresh rate

3840x1920 90Hz

5088x2544 70Hz

6 Likes

One more japanese video on apara 5k, with subtitles.

With comparison of quest2 vs vive pro 2, pimax 8kx, arpara 5k pixel peep.

I think arpara would make a great fill gap HMD before 12k releases, which could be long time away, from past experience. Would make the wait much more bearable with one of these.

8 Likes

To vide the content at full res sign up is required. Is there another source?

1 Like