Apara Micro Oled HMD Discussion

Here are landing pages they emailed me: arpara and arpara you’ll find the $399 tethered hmd price there (and $599 for the aio).

About ppi, i just found a reddit page that says the reverb g1 screen (same as g2 i think) is about 1000 diagonal ppi and 8kx 800 something.

1 Like

So for $1 your guaranteeing a chance to buy the early bird price. Not bad, worth holding on to until more information is revealed about the stream VR stuff.

Seems that the 53% off the AIO means its going to be over $1200. Might be worth while if we could get more information on it.

1 Like

Yeah, i think MRTV will have more info on it in the coming weeks/months.

I’ve put the dollar down for both aio and pc.
Steamvr tracker will be less than 100usd, that’s the response from their official group.

3 Likes

I just did the same thing.

Well I guess it might make it a P4k & G2 killer. But agreed be interesting to see a full in wild review.

Has MRTV tried any FoV tests?

1 Like

The PPI of the display is misleading as we need to know the PPI of the virtual projected screen.

For example lets create a hypothetical headset. One has 2.5" panel 5k at 1000ppi (not accurate) and anothet headset that has a 5" 5k panel @ 500ppi.

If both only give an equivalent of a 200" screen both will only have a Projected ppi of 125ppi

Or as you said PPD or better Sub PPD.

1 Like

One of the mandarin YouTube video has mentioned it looks about same as a quest 2.

2 Likes

Not bad then for what it is in the given form factor. Leading fov is likely more referring to using a micro oled display vs a vr hmd using larger screens in a larger form factor.

1 Like

Me too now as well, both hmd’s.

1 Like

@PimaxUSA With micro OLED coming out you guys should consider rebranding one of these Chinese headsets to offer to the western market. Apara will never have the Market status you have built with Amazon etc. In contrast this would be a great compact option to cover all bases

Without any time/investment you could put down a custom order for the AIO model. Just change a few features and rebrand with the Pimax logo? Similar to the Aukey version on the P4K

1 Like

Lol a P4K killer :rofl:. You cant kill what’s already dead.

1 Like

Had pimax re released the 4k with 1 panel from the 8kX it would have done well.

1 Like

would it though?You think they would have called it the 4K+.

I doubt its success considering the value a base model quest 2 costs.

If they released a Pimax 4K micro oled that would be interesting…if it looked like an apara.

1 Like

Had they released it long ago(which was mentioned they were working on/considering a refresh). But like many things never materialized.

Had they acted on it they could have released around or before the HP G1. Having only a single screen it would have been possible to have 120hz 4k hmd then or possibly higher. But simply another missed opportunity as the 4k uses Aspherical lenses.

1 Like

Meh, 1 less HMD couldn’t hurt Pimax.

We are always testing new panels and new tech but they often do not function as well for the task as advertised. The different samples come from a lot of vendors and often have issues that prevent their use in this field.

We found that the QLED + MicroLED backlight produced by far the best results. That performs so well in fact there is no technical or specification based reason to use the other upcoming options. I would add that there were a couple of other panels that were excellent candidates that will likely find their way into the future lineup but it’s an apples to oranges comparison in this case.

11 Likes

This Arpara headset looks really good and could take a huge chunk of Facebook’s Quest market share. Interesting that this company is ahead of Facebook on pancake optics while they’re still working on Project Cambria.

I would use this headset as a media viewer or on the plane, and the Reality 12K QLED for full immersive experiences.

4 Likes

Hey Kevin. Sorry to confuse. Not doubting your Q led technology in any way, It sure sounds promising. Was just suggesting the Shanghai team jump on one of these upcoming small form factor sets to complete the range

2 Likes

Awesome display update @Heliosurge . Looks like the larger 4K eMagin panels were produced :slight_smile: Well worth watching

2 Likes