Anyone tried an 8kx paired with a 6800XT? Not looking great for me

Ok I can not spell. Here in China, we only eat rice! :grinning:

https://item.jd.com/10021592741010.html#crumb-wrap
https://item.jd.com/10021592741010.html#crumb-wrap

I did notice that after my chat with Pimax shop online, the web site now says “Win10 system and NVIDIA graphics card are recommended”
Modified on: Thu, 28 Jan, 2021 at 12:05 PM
https://support.pimax.com/en/support/solutions/articles/60000661811-computer-configuration-and-environment

This looks like an update because of my question!

Clearly, I have not done sufficient research on the VR. I have never had a VR kit.

I meant; not available in my area. I live in China. I have been trying to buy this new PC for a long time. I could not find the CPU or Graphics card (self built).
The two cards are starting to be available here, but at stupid prices. When they did become available I thought the AMD card was better (SAM with 5900x).
https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/vr-ready-premium

Well that makes me feel good. I did something right. It was a fun build. But, I could not put the AIO into the box the correct way up. AIO on front panel. I have the water pipes at the top. Should be at the bottom. Just could not make it fit. Should be ok for a few years. (I think that was from DaveNexus).

Having had feedback that says no, I really would like to see/hear from someone doing it.
Thanks for the reference.

2 Likes

Wow lots of info in this. Just FYI remember my post above - I had 2x AMD cards (the 6xxx series) and before that a 1080ti and now a 3090. The AMD cards worked OK with Pimax, the framerates were still reasonable and better than my 1080ti but none of the extras like smart smoothing, FFR etc work with them, presumably because of the way this tech is currently implemented by Pimax and possible limitations with the AMD drivers.

So in short - if you already have an AMD card, you should be fine with it but id possibly look to trade it for an equivalent Nvidia card if the opportunity arises as the support for Nvidia cards with Pimax is currently much better, although I am hopeful this will level out in years to come.

by then hopefully Pimax is still around.

I built an all amd system (5950X + rx 6900XT), and it performs like CRAP in Iracing. I use the Pimax 5K +
I previously had an intel i9-10900KF and an rtx 2080ti and i was performing better. I have no idea how come this is possible. But i’m thinking of going back to nvidia for the gpu side.

1 Like

Ya for Iracing its Nvidia or bust

1 Like

It’s crazy even on very low settings pitool at 1 and steam vr app 100% i struggle to get 90 fps on that damn rx 6900xt card. On the 2080ti i was getting stable 90 fps on medium settings, pitool at 1.25 abd steam app at 150%.

Ya thats what i was seeing early on when I started this. Not an upgrade for us, fortunately with the shortage there are plenty of people looking to swap who maybe pre ordered a 3080 to save $$

I would never choose AMD for a vr rig regardless of the “paper specs” of the components. Their support for vr has been behind since the very beginning.

2 Likes

I have no problem with support, the RX 6900 XT works perfectly in VR don’t get mre wrong. The performance side though, THAT’S another story. I will try to hunt for a 3090, obviously at stupid insane overpricing.

not just for iRacing…:money_mouth_face:

I actually think the 3080 is a much better value proposition. And not just because its half the price.

I have a 2080Ti and I had seen the pancake benchmarks at 4k and it looked like a skip. only 30% faster. I wasn’t about to give up on my super expensive 2080Ti for 30%(I only upgrade for 50% increase minimum).

Also in pancake BM’s the 3090 seems like a large step up in performance over the 3080. (not 2x as the price would imply)

BUT…

taking a look at two actual VR benchmarks its proof that one cannot simply look at pancake benchmarks as they don’t reflect VR performance at all.

In MRTV’s benchmarks comparing the 2080Ti vs 3080 you can see in all but the most CPU-bound games. The 3080 offers anywhere from 30% -67% improvement in VR.

The 3090 is only maybe 10%- 15% faster than the 3080.

in cases where you push the graphics high enough to place the 2080Ti into “reprojection town” the 3080 allows you into “Smoothsville” the 3090 moves you a little further into “smoothsville” but not enough to take you past “smoothsville”(it’s like paying twice the bus fare to travel one extra bus stop)

Elite Dangerous for example 2080ti vs 3080 is a 42% improvement

yellow is reprojection.

Edit: Of course the major issue surrounding the 3080 is the lack of VRAM. If this guy’s observations are true.

https://community.openmr.ai/t/8kx-in-sw-squadrons-running-out-of-vram-on-an-3080/34936?u=drowhunter

1 Like

I think many modern HMDs don’t look great on 100% SS rate e.g. in steam vr, the best results are between 200-350% SS rate, panels just look much better & clear on those levels, I often use those when play games & I note VRAM usage sometimes is about 16.8-18.xGB, once I even had 21GB of RAM, but I guess it was due to bug in VRChat & very loaded avatars, the other mesurements from some sims & other titles, so 16 already may not be enough even with current gen titles if you use SS to make work your HMD panels the best way.

Damn, and I just bought a 3080 after all the reports debunking the 10GB-not-enough myth.

Now I’m on the lookout for a decent 3090 and the thing is, most of them have really crappy memory cooling (especially compared to my 3080 which has excellent cooling) due to also having memory chips on the backside of the card.

Thank you all for your insight. It made a good read.
I have just ordered the:
8Kx, Valve Index controllers and two Valve Index Base Stations 2.0

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.