Anyone tried an 8kx paired with a 6800XT? Not looking great for me

From what i’ve seen the 6900XT in pancake rasterization beats the 3080 considerably and even beats the 3090 in 75% of scenarios.

But i’llnsay it again …nvidia left that price gap between the 3080 & 3090 like a trap and AMD walked right into it.

Now nvidia drops a 3080Ti right on top of it.

Its like that scene in the 300 where they lure them into the canyon and flank them.

1 Like

Note that his 2080ti is not running at full speed. Is even to read in red letters on his OpenVRBench. The 2080ti makes more then 20FPS there. (mine 21,5@StockOC ) Also his Temp in the other Benches is to low for his AirCooled Card. Think, this card run at 1750MHz max.

2 Likes

This is absoluetly not true. The only source that would show this outcome are the AMD marketing slides from Navi21’s launch. There are some select titles such as AC:Valhalla where this is true but the majority of the field is dominated by nVidia, particularly once res goes up.

I paid dearly for my 3090 but until there is a 3080Ti (bigger VRAM than 3080), it’s the card to get for high end VR.

The jump from my 2080Ti was basically Pimax 0.75 → 1.25 on my 8KX as well as way smoother frametimes.

1 Like

So what does 6900XT beats? Is it at least 3080? I mean if it does then chances are Nvidia will counter it with 3080Ti.

1 Like

Looks like we’ll have to wait a bit longer for that dream of a 3080Ti.

Nvidia is still playing that card close to their chest.

Seriously though what’s nvidia thinking. A 3060 with 12GB when they announced a 3060Ti with 8Gb??

1 Like

Laymen’s terms? Bottom line it for me.

Nope, I only trust real benchmarks. I was looking at this.

FYI @risa2000

I’ve had a 6800, a 6900XT and a 3090FE. I can conclusively say the AMD cards perform quite well for the most part with Pimax & they are decent cards (also using resizeable BAR with an 5600x CPU) BUT for me the smart smoothing didnt work in many games, there is no option to use FFR and for pancake mode there is not yet any alternative to the likes of DLSS and ray tracing performance is a lot lower comparatively. All of these things is why i ended up keeping the 3090FE in the end and selling the two AMD cards despite the fact they do perform pretty well from a raw performance perspective.

Regardless of the extra features the 3090 is faster than a 6900XT for VR and high res pancake gaming in almost all scenarios. The 6900XT can be faster at lower resolutions for pancake mode or specific titles but generally youre not going to be playing at low resolutions with a top end card so the advantage is a bit wasted.

Hopefully by the next generation AMD may have released a DLSS alternative which is as good or better & if things like FFR and smart smoothing start working through pitool with AMD cards they would be a really great alternative to Nvidia.

4 Likes

the measurement results of the 2080ti are incorrect

1 Like

Wow i didn’t know Smoothing didnt work with AMD , I’ll add that to my “Reasons I’ll never switch from nVidia pile”

They had to counter the AMD cards and their huge amount of memory basically or they would loose a lot of “entry level” upgrades to AMD.

They were too cocky it seems… :wink:

2 Likes

Nvidia too cocky :rofl: nooo really :joy::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I know… Shocking… :scream::nerd_face::crazy_face::sunglasses:

1 Like

and “THIS” is why I love competition.

Cockiness seems to come from years of trouncing the competition.

Sony is feeling pretty cocky right now as well.

2 Likes

I completely agree on both points… :wink:

1 Like

Hello, I am really interested in the results of the 6900xt.

I was about the buy the Pimax 8kx, or maybe the 5k supper. I was trying to decide which would be better for me. As I was online ordering it, I asked the guy. He said the 8kx will not work with AMD!
I was flabbergasted!

Just bought:
AMD Ryzen9 5900x, AIO 360, TUF Gaming X570 PLUS WiFi, AMD Radean RX 6900XT 16G,
32G (16*2) G.Skill Trident Z neo 3600MHZ CL16-19-19-39, PM600 1TB NVMe M.2 PCI-E4.0, GX 850W 80Plus Gold, HOTAS PXN-2119II, Logitech G27 Racing Wheel.

After I gathered my jaw of the floor. I asked: when will the driver be ready? He said a few months. (this was jan 2021).

So I have two questions.
How does the 6900xt perform?
Maybe:AndewUK1990 could answer?
And
Would you recommended the 8kx or the 5x supper?

Project cars2, DCS world 2.5, virtual desk top etc and I have a 12 year son – so (he will want) all the other games!

VR and AMD has always been inferior to VR and Nvidia.

For Pimax this is even more true as there are some functions that essentially rely on RTX specific features including but not limited to eye tracked or any other foveated rendering.

The 6900/6800 GPUs are a breath of fresh air but I absolutely wouldn’t recommend them and most importantly, never in combination with Pimax HMDs.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply.

I am assuming your statements are based on some experience.
“VR and AMD has always been inferior to and Nvidia.”

I am not clear how “has always been” applies to the two new generation graphic cards. (though we do know something about RTX).

Well, I could not buy the 3080 or 3090 for love nor money, worked for months to get the 6900xt. (and I am probably an AMD fan boy).

foveated rendering: while it may not be implemented on pimax and AMD YET. It is coming.

Fixed Foveated Rendering in new AMD 6000

“…never in combination with Pimax HMDs.” A bit of a strong statement. But, then I did ask! And it is a clear opinion. So thanks for that.

Chat with Pimax.

I spoke (online – in Chinese) with Pimax Official Shop (Chinese online store) yesterday. A follow up from my chat last week.

“A卡兼容不好目前问题在于哪里,未知。所以只能建议等等换N卡在选择入手”
Translation:
“A [AMD] card compatibility is not good at present the problem is where, unknown. So can only suggest and so on to change [to] the N[Nvidia] card in the choice to start”

Can I quote you on that.
“我的话没有任何讨论性的,我这边只是不建议使用A卡因为可能导致无法使用的。”
Translation:
“My words are not discussative, my side just does not recommend the use of A card because it may lead to unusable.”

“建议您等待一张30显卡,在选择考虑入手VR”
Translation:
“It is recommended that you wait for a 30 graphics card before choosing to consider starting VR”

“我们设备一直以来都是不兼容A卡的,主要兼容N卡为主的 。问题具体在哪里我们也是不清楚的”

Translation:

“Our equipment has been incompatible with A-card [AMD graphic cards], mainly compatible with N-card-based [Nvidia]. It is not clear exactly where the problem lies.”

“刚才咨询了一下,技术人员。我们建议用n卡,我们的工程师测试过a卡兼容性不是很好,有时会连接失败。所以我们也是无法保证百分百可以”

Translation:

“Just consulted, technician. We recommend using an n-card [Nvidia], and our engineers have tested that a-card [AMD] compatibility is not very good and sometimes the connection fails. So we can’t guarantee 100%.”

How will I know you have updated your drivers?

“可以百度搜索: Pimax小派官网 在官网查看”
Interpretation: “look on the website”

Pimax chat ends (all very polite).

• I am looking for the best VR experience that I can get (nothing new there).

• I can not buy an RTX (I have tried). (I live in China.)

• I now have a 6900xt.

This leaves me with the same questions I had yesterday.

“How does the 6900xt perform?

Would you recommended the 8kx or the 5x supper?”

With the expectation that, at this point, the 6900xt will not perform as good as is will, after driver updates.

if you rely on Pimax for supper, you will die of malnutrition.

What sales guy is that knowledgeable about Pimax? seems sketchy. Where did you shop?

Good choice in pc parts. Its almost a mirror image of my build i just completeed. Right down to the mobo. I for one won’t switch away from nVidia because of “issues” with compatibility but I heard from @Heliosurge that AMD should work, but I think stuff like FFR/DFR wont work.

well vr has only been around a few years and I can count the amount of VR related issue such as these on two hands, meanwhile nVidia in general have gone out of their way to support VR. Lens Matched Shading, VRDlss, foveated rendering etc

isn’t the 6900xt more $$ than the 3080? or is that the 6950xt,?