Any updates on the 12K

Tbf that is at least 2-3 years away from being an actual product. 12k will likely be by itself in terms of FOV for a year or 2 and by then it will be time for new headsets again anyway, which is when we might see something like this come to market.

It’s a dream form factor and FOV for sure, hope it does get to market. I love the crystal but the weight and bulk is by far the biggest issue, which is probably a compliment to Pimax as in the past the software issues would have outweighed the size and weight (no pun intended lol).

So has the weight increased or the software improved? Sounds like a no-win evolvement when phrased that way tbh

Software has improved, in terms of stability and connectivity. Headset connects and launches like expected with any other headset.

1 Like

I was just thinking: if we want to have any hope of the 12K becoming really available to customers for purchase before the end of 2024, Pimax better announce the commercial launch of the 12K no later than end of the month with a 2 weeks delivery window… /s

1 Like

Yes it’s about time for a Pimax 12k release event! And then early next year another Pimax 12k release event! Who knows they might then ship it out late 2024 if we’re lucky!

1 Like

Dunno bro. I have a bad feeling about the 12K. I can’t put a finger on it. But something just feels off about it. I think one of the things is, just how they really plan to provide such a large FOV? I think considering how the Crystal’s FoV information has been handled so far by PIMAX is a major part of my trepidation.

(Updated Crystal FAQ):

So Their Website specs state the 35PPD has a DFoV of 140° while the above information provided by @PimaxQuorra above is different, and yet after acknowledgement and months of waiting, still no verification from PIMAX.
[Website]

Add to that an MIA ‘so-called’ 42PPD lens.

Add to that an MIA ‘rumored’ even wider FoV lens they were supposedly working on.

Add to that their unwillingness to state on their website a minimum AMD GPU compatability on their website and with any models marked with a ’ * ’ as incompatible per their ‘so-called’ GPU testing.

I mean. accurate and informative information on their website is strictly a must, and they aren’t doing it. So when they ever come out with more information on the 12K, how can anyone really trust it?

2 Likes

Yeah, considering they are going to use the same “technique” of measuring FOV, that doesn’t match up with reality, and considering 125 horizontal for the crystal was actually 104.

I think it’s safe to assume 12k, advertised at 210 horizontal, will be more like 175 horizontal (about the same percentage difference). So realistically the FOV will be slightly bigger than large on the 8K X. With 35 PPD, and if it’s mostly clear (hybrid lenses), then it will still be an amazing experience but I think it’s safe to assume 210deg is not true, just like 125 on crystal wasn’t.

3 Likes

Well, as long as the 104h is greater than the Aero’s 115h, it’s fine. :upside_down_face: Don’t always get stuck only on the render data.

1 Like

That was as blatant a marketing lie as Crystal‘s FOV claim. Shame on both of them.

But agreed that rendering data only tells part of the story; usability across the FOV is much more important imo.

2 Likes

Fwiw I get 103 horizontal on the Crystal, so it’s pretty close. Also Varjo Aero gets 110 horizontal FOV, which is a damn sight closer to 115 than 104 is to 125.

All companies, pretty much, round up their FOV. It’s not okay but if it’s within a few degrees then I can ignore it. Anyway, just tempering expectations. I think 175 degrees with 35 ppd will be incredible, I don’t know how much benefit the additional FOV would even be tbh, I find medium on the 8K X not a really big difference from large tbh.

2 Likes

Well, a marketing lie, etc. As long as there is no standard for this, it is up to the manufacturer to decide which method to use. Pimax just relies more on perceived FOV. @SmallBaguette or isn’t it wider than the Aero in your visual field of view?

I don’t have an Aero at hand to check unfortunately, crystal is definitely taller but not sure if it’s wider. Going by tests I see online, it certainly would imply the aero is wider, but not by a huge amount so I’d take the larger stereo-overlap, and higher vertical FOV over the wider FOV.

Do you still have your 8kx? Compare by feel with Potato and Small. (100 / 120)

They should use the 12ks panels and go for a crystal clear high resolution edge to edge clarity version of the 8K-X’s normal FOV setting.

A high FOV they know they can hit, but one they know they can improve on well.

I’m sure 12k will come, I just hope the company goes with their strengths.

2 Likes

I dunno… AFAIK they’re using different panels/design for the 12K to achieve their supposed increase to FoV.

Then we also have rumor and soon perhaps announcement by Pimax about their new lenses for the Crystal that will allow greater FoV (at what cost to PPD?).
What happened to the 42PPD ones? Shelved?

Of course, the greater FoV they provide for the Crystal MAY just bring that model closer to competing with the 12K. So I’d be surprised if they could ‘legitimately’ achieve and make an DFoV for the Crystal as originally advertised or even greater.

Anyways. It’s a big ‘TRUST’ concern for me at the moment, which has been building for more than 6 mos now…

1 Like

Hypervision will pull the carpet out under the feet of Pimax as it inflates FOV cheap and wide, get as much as you like. Their only chance is Apple buying Hypervision and all its patent as Apple is as good in gaming as Pimax is in headset weight.

1 Like

Didn‘t they announce to release a „statement“ on the 42PPD lenses? To me that sounds distinctly different to ’update‘, so you can expect that something will change. My guess is that they finally understood that there is too little benefit in having them, and clearly manufacturing glass lenses seems to be a bottleneck in their production queue anyhow. So we might hear that there will be no 42PPD lenses.

Right, but Time to Market with Hypervision?
What companies have already put that in their designs and what companies are already too committed to what they’re developing now to do a major re-design for Hypervision’s tech?
I’ll be very surprised if we see a headset (like Valve Deckard) within the next 2 years that has that super-wide FoV.

From what I understand about Hypervision is the lenses are licensable by anyone, so even Pimax could start using them. Or Varjo lol.

That being said if we see Varjo, VRginerrs, Lynx, Somnium, HTC or even Valve use these lenses FOV will be a done deal and that USP is gone forever.

So can Pimax actually get the 12k out before some one shows a production ready Hypervision based 210 FOV HMD by CES2024?

First out the gate is rarely first to the finish line.

1 Like

My educated guess is Hypervision will be sold soon for a lot of money including its patents and then there is no licensing.