Another 8KX first impression for people who wants to know what to expect

Thanks! Tried the stuff on the first link but didn’t know about the second one.
Good thing I like to fiddle with stuff. =D

2 Likes

This is also my experience, on 5k+ ~63.5 and with 8kX ~64.8 seems most comfortable.

Hinges also similar - I fear HMD will fall off on sudden movements, it is suited for seated experience at most. Since it is not fixed in place - sweetspot is lost easily, which is reinforced by the fact that sweetspot is smaller (probably because of increased clarity).
It is also uncomfortable, not putting weight from the front so it can sharply press on nose. It is difficult to use your own headphones too. The MAS strap is big fail in my view.

HMD can’t be turned off without unplugging (BOTH!) USB cables, which is another big annoyance.

In short better picture but much worse overall experience compared to 5k+ (stock, without modifications).

1 Like

Yes, that is a problem. I leave my PC on. I’ve been using a remote power outlet to turn my 8K on and off. My PC is under my desk and it’s not convenient to plug/unplug cables. I’ll need to get a USB extension or hub.

I don’t understand why Pimax changed this, since the old design worked great.

5 Likes

No problem here, if you turn the HMD out, it was cool.
Use 2 different USB ports on my mainboard with nonstop Power.

1 Like

Don’t understand why they have done this. I keep my 5k+ mostly powered off and rely on the button. It’s cabled at the back of the tower under a table by necessity so it would be a pain to keep unplugging the 8KX. The power button doesn’t work properly?? Why does it even have one then?

1 Like

As I understand it this was due to some internal miscommunication

• CN was only shipping the thick foams
  • PimaxUSA told the CN guys to include both foams
  • CN switched to only shipping thin foams

You can send a ticket to get the thick foam (which has a cutout for eyeglasses) shipped to you.

They released Pitool 1.0.1.264 Beta

AFAIK the issue is due to how wide the pimax headsets are and the placement of the sensors on the headset, as I previously mentioned here.

I would be hesitant to use glue if you have any plans of changing the speaker modules at some point. It might be better to use some sort of silicon sealant but I don’t know enough about glues/sealants to give a proper recommendation.

I have yet to find a headset with better god rays than the Pimax headsets. They are so small that you generally only see some minor rings (god rings?) as opposed to the in-your-face blinding spotlights of the Index. I saw something that looked like some serious god rays at one point but it turned out to be lens glare from light outside the headset that had gotten in through the massive eyeglass cutouts.

For reference, I have owned the following headsets: Rift CV1, Vive, Odyssey+, 8K, Index

7 Likes

Maybe rubber hinges will come next!

If the mas is defective I would advise opening a ticket for replacement seeing it should be covered by warranty before adding adhesives.

2 Likes

In my case - it goes off for 1-2 seconds, then the led goes back on but to red color (not green). I’m not sure if shevron powered up too or not. I guess it goes to some kind of stand-by mode.

I did not check for longer time to see if it will cool of - but even if it does who is to tell if some firmware update won’t mess it up one day. When off I want it off not drawing power and no lights shining.

3 Likes

Ah in that case sounds like the button itself works the same as on my 5k+. Goes from green to red when press the button (means it has power) . To stop the red light I switch it off at the wall socket. I guess on the 8kx you have to unplug it from the computer.

3 Likes

Yes and you actually need to unplug both USB cables, not just the one that is supposed to be power. So even if you power with adapter (which you can turn off) instead of PC, the other data cable (USB3) will still provide stand-by power.

3 Likes

That can most likely be disabled in the BIOS.

2 Likes

Sure but I do want my USB ports powered - most of the time don’t use VR when computer is ON. Also I want USB ports powered as I charge various items overnight (like index controllers or wireless headphones).

3 Likes

Usb hub with on/off port switches can work.

2 Likes

That’s weird, my SN 203 5k+ does not do that. Off means off, no LED light.

Do you have it plugged into one of those USB sockets that continuously provides power even when the machine is off? They can be used to charge devices etc even when you turn off the computer.

Think someone mentioned it seems 8kX has 2 different power states with power button. Standby and full off. I would try holding til led turns off. However I myself always disconnect main power on 8k/5k headset to ensure a reboot of the computer doesn’t turn it on.

Lol I’m doubting myself now :grin:. Currently at work but will double check when I get home.

2 Likes

Sure but that’s what I’m curious about from what @MarkD posted.

I don’t have to do that on my 5k+, it is always plugged in to my PC but it never turns on unless I power it on with the button. Which is exactly what I want. I boot my PC each morning and turn it off each night, my PC starting up will never start the headset.

I want the 8KX to behave the same way. I am not leaving it on all the time and I do not want have to crawl under a desk behind my tower daily to replug the headset. Yes a hub with a switch will work, but I didn’t know I would have to resort to such a thing with the 8KX. To me, this is new behaviour.

2 Likes

Lol no worries, what serial is yours? It’s possible that makes a difference if it’s not a USB power thing.

1 Like

That’s good to hear as I recall when released it would power on after a power interruption or a pc restart.

2 Likes