Light leakage in my 8kx? On the right lens when its completely dark or on loading screens it looms like light is leaking from up top?

When the game is completely black or loading screen, I see light leaking from top of my right eye, also I thought there was no god rays anymore but I see them, or was that sde everyone was talking about? Also I don’t know if its normal, but when I set large fov it halfs my resolution, any ways to fix this, im upgrading to a 3080 this week and I know I have enough gpu power to push the resolution.

just got my 8kx today, and don’t want to send it back even if it does have issues, because I can’t just wait any longer because Pimax sucks at shipping, which I learned the hard way with my bundle.

Its like, how are you going to ship the car, but without the wheels? i cant drive this thing without the wheels, who cares if it looks pretty, in this case the wheels are my knuckles and basestations…

1 Like

Everyone was saying that there is basically no SDE anymore.

I would expect little to no difference in god rays between the 8K-X and the 8K/5K+, since they have the same lenses. That being said, the 8K was the best headset I have ever tried in terms of how small the god rays were, as I mentioned here:

My recommendation is to test the headset in a dark room (lights turned off, no light from windows/etc) and see if it makes any difference with the god rays you are experiencing and if the light leakage on your right eye is still there.

Do you mean:

1. The image gets stretched to fill larger FOV
  2. The FOV is rendered properly but the image appears lower resolution

I have been told that option 1 is the expected behavior if you change the FOV without restarting SteamVR or whatever other application you were running. Just close SteamVR/etc, change the FOV, and restart it to get the proper behavior.

Option 2 could be due to SteamVR supersampling being set to automatic. Check in the SteamVR settings and verify that SS settings are set to manual.

• The main SS in the General tab is applied to all applications.
  • There is also a per-application SS (Video tab, IIRC) that is multiplied with the main SS (1.5 main * 1.5 per-app = 1.75 total SS).
  • Both SS settings will need to be set to Manual if you want to keep the resolution from changing.

same here, its a shame , i got a scratch in the lense to

the first one I guess for the fov, and by light leakage I don’t mean light from outside, like light is escaping the lens on the top through a little gap showing white light when you put it on

I thought that was probably what you meant. That being said, I still recommend testing in a dark room to see if it affects the god ray issue.

Also, is the god ray issue more prevalent in the right eye? Perhaps the light leakage is exacerbating the problem.

no god rays are equal on both sides, is this something worthy to rma over? the light leak is kind of annoying in dark scenes and my hmd heats up doing nothing

The answer to that is really up to you. Is the light leakage prominent enough to make you want to RMA the headset?

That is basically standard for the Pimax headsets (especially the 8K-X).

I have seen this now too on the right eye…

I too have light leak on mine. It’s not terrible, just barely visible, but it’s there at the top edge. It’s slightly distracting in all dark scenes and my 5K+ didn’t have this issue. It took so long to get my headset I just don’t think I’ll try to RMA it as the process tends to be a nightmare.

3 Likes

#me too! 2020202020 char.

Ok, I think I found the source of my light leak. While cleaning my lenses last night I noticed a slight light emitting through the black mesh between the lenses. I use a wide IPD of 69, and noticed that when using a wide IPD the gap is obviously wider between the lenses. This allows a little more light to come through the black mesh. Reducing the IPD to mid 60s or lower closed up the gap and reduced the light leak.

To be honest though, the light leak is so minimal I’ll just deal with it, but I do think that may be the source of some people noticing it and others not.

Is the light leakage so minimal that maybe covering the top edge with something will eliminate it. Maybe the eyetracker or a small strip of electrical tape could resolve it.

1 Like

lol,but this on a 1300 dollar device?

So now we have light leakage and the faulty hinges,the eye tracking whats needs alot off modification… i realy to hear very soon some good responses and solutions from pimax

1 Like

I agree that the price is a bit high for a device that has issues. That’s exactly why I haven’t ordered one. As for the light leakage I was just trying to propose an alternative to RMA. But RMA is the best choice that comes with it’s own risks.

we are talking about lens lens material physically not covering the inside or some part of the lens that is letting light out, not light from your nose or something else like ipd or godrays. like a physical light leaking out of a crack of the edge of the lens, like the bottom of the door, if you cover it with a towel, you won’t see light from the other side, like it is supposed to work, but the towel is missing leaking light into the lens

2 Likes

having an ipd of 70 this concerns me. Is there something that can be placed in there to block it?

maybe something 3d printed?

Actually i have eye tracking maybe that will block it.

yeah I call it the RMA LOTTERY

you may end up with one with worse issues

1 Like

Its not a huge gap, its like 1mm small but when you place stuff super close to your eyes you will see the light, it is supper hard to see the part where light is leaking from unless you view from an angle and even then you can barely see the part where it is leaking from. Maybe find a way to cover it up like a super small piece of tape

2 Likes

Yeah it really is a tiny spot, and depending on if you shift your face slightly up or down can reduce it slightly. I have the thick foam so I’m not sure what difference there would be with the thin foam. Overall though, it’s so minimal it’s really not that bad. I just noticed it because my 5K+ didn’t have it.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.