AMS2 / PCars2 PP Off trick - works in other titles?

Hey guys!

I know of the way to get around without using Parallel Projections in PCars2 and AMS2, but does the same trick work in other games as well?

1 Like

Does this PC2 trick still work and what real impact does it have on performance?
Last time I tried through the video of @Ludiks it didn’t work.

1 Like

Ye i did exactly the same thing in his video and its opening up SteamVR and it still needs PP because it crosses my eyes. I have Oculus App installed on this PC also but whether it was running or not didnt matter it still didnt work, so I wanted to see if there’s something else i did wrong. I saw some people posting some startup config line that they’re adding into the exe or something showing OpenVR or OculusSDK, but didnt get what to do.

1 Like

I just found this post but it doesnt work for me. Steam app open or closed - still doesnt work. I have the oculus app installed AND i installed those 2 files needed if Oculus home isn’t installed… i dont know if it works any more or if im doing something wrong.

1 Like

Hi guys,

Indeed, it doesnt work anymore.
Might come from Pitool…not sure, I tried with several settings in Pimax Experience but no luck.
I will downgrade Pitool and see how it goes.

1 Like

Ahhh ok i thought i was doing something wrong. Ok it is what it is. They broke it basically. Good Job Pimax!

@PimaxUSA @PimaxQuorra @Doman.Chen - can someone look into this? We were previously able to circumvent using Parallel Projections with previous Pitool versions in games like Project Cars 2 and Automobilista2 (they had the same engine and they both have an oculus native sdk built into their games… Same with Dirt Rally 2.0 and a few other games), by importing the game into PiTool game library and pointing it to the oculus sdk to use…

Here’s previous postings so you understand: https://community.openmr.ai/t/pitool-1-0-1-258-and-steam-activated-games-dr2-pc2-and-ams2-launch-in-oculus-mode-how/27809/8
and
Ludiks above found it and posted it originally on youtube here: PIMAX WITHOUT Parallel Proj. Best image and smooth with a 1080TI! 4k Video Through the lens! - YouTube

Can we have this brought back somehow? Allowing PP off to use in these titles gained significant performance boosts usually.

I just tried it with Pitool 1.258 that is the Pitool version I was using for a while until a few days ago to test Pimax Experience.
And it works (but lots of stuttering now, maybe because of the new firmware updated a few days ago also)

But the trick comes from VR Maniac : How to play project cars2 on pimax 8k, 5k without parallel projections and steamvr 파이맥스 - YouTube

Last time I tried PC1 with former .263, it worked as well, and quite satisfying though no difference in terms of performance/FPS compared to SteamVR with PP.

Generally, it works with other titles too, i.e. Elite Dangerous. Problem here is: It starts in the HMD without PP nicely - but stops just before opening the main menu due to the account connection being missing that way (importing the ED-exe)… :confused:
On the other side when trying to start it via importing the ED launcher for account verification, PiTool then doesn’t launch the ED-exe afterwards.
Existing a couple of threads in the ED-VR-forums for that problem, no solution so far.

But summarizing:
That trick without PP but with the DLL’s and the steamapp_id.txt generally works with other titles, too, as far as I can say.

Yes theorically it should work with every Oculus compatible games.
But indeed for Elite Dangerous the issue is the login that is not launched.
I also tried several things…importing the launcher etc…dont even remember everything I did but there was no solution :frowning:
I dont know what GPU you use but with a 1080TI I have a huge performance gain, about 15 or 20 fps.

1 Like

Gigabyte 2080 Ti Gaming OC

1 Like

Sorry it was because of the GPU Catalyst set to 10 by default :frowning:
I also deleted my SteamVR settings to generate a new one.
Works very good now.

Thanks so much for the tip Ludiks! I couldn’t get pc2 to work either and was upset i couldn’t play get the quality/performance on the 8kX with pp. Now it works, i use pitool 254 alpha. It has the best performance on my 1080TI.
It runs very fluent with smart smoothing and it looks so sharp and clean

1 Like

You are welcome and thanks to you too because I will try the 254 alpha then, since I run also on a 1080TI. :bowing_man:‍♂

1 Like

yes i knew :slight_smile: with 258 when driving in rainy conditions there was a bit of ghosting and stutter, it couldn’t handle it, but with 254 it is just as smooth, so there is some more performance. I hope @PimaxVR can fix the oculus trick in a new pitool

1 Like

Have you already tried .263? It gave my former 5K+ a significant performance boost.

1 Like

Actually, I have stuttering only in the left eye, with 254 or 258, I will try 263 but I think this stuttering come from the firmware.

I just tried 263 and I no longer have the stuttering in the left eye and yes performances are better.
But they are better because lower rendering, before this I was at 1.25 without aliasing and now it is have some but yes performances are much better, I will try with 1.5 later but I just had some fun with PC2 for an hour :+1::+1:

1 Like

Du coup aujourd’hui avec les dernières versions de pitool quelles sont les étapes a suivre? (En quelques lignes)

(So today what are the steps to follow in few lines with the most recent pitool version?)

En fait ça ne fonctionne juste pas avec la toute derniere version, celle pour faire tourner PimaxExperience.
Mais avec la 263 la méthode reste la même, celle que j’explique ici : PIMAX SANS Parallel Proj, Superbe image et fluide avec 1080TI! A travers la lentille en 4k! - YouTube
//
Actually it just dont work with the lasted Pitool version that is requiered to run Pimax Experience.
But with the 263 it is still the same as explained here : PIMAX WITHOUT Parallel Proj. Best image and smooth with a 1080TI! 4k Video Through the lens! - YouTube

Thanks for your post, changed to 263 and got AMS2 to work without PP. Now will try with higher render settings.
Any way to change the internal AMS resolution to 2160p?
I created a custom resolution in Nvidia panel even though my monitor is only 1440, but AMS doesn’t take it up. This will improve the graphics tremendously.

1 Like