Amd FSR for steamVR games (mod)

Tried it with the Euro and American Truck Simulators:
Unfortunately, no perceptible performance gain here…
… or better said: Even less FPS.

FPSVR measures

• without patch: 53,59 (average of 4 sessions)
  • with patch: 49,94 (average of 3 sessions)

Not really surprising for me since FFR isn’t working there, too, with SteamVR / OpenVR / ParallelProjection. But well: It was worth a try :wink:

If anyone else is getting some FPS gain with it, I’d like to know - and how much :slight_smile:

Some games are not going to play with FSR, there’s an overhead to using it that could end up hurting you, especially in CPU bound scenarios, if I’m understanding right. The github page talks a little bit about it under the performance section. May be the case for your rig or particular games.

I haven’t done any extensive testing, I’ll probably get around to that in the next few days, but in games like Pavlov, Project Wingman, and TWD: Saints and Sinners, I’ve noticed an improvement. I felt like I was able to turn up settings and maintain the same or better performance. In one modded Pavlov map, where I’d stutter a little, things felt smoother. I also noticed in general frame times were better, even in less demanding areas where I could check on my hand. Combined with DFR or FFR, I had pretty much constant 90hz on higher than usual settings, the gains were pretty ridiculous with both working together, even when disabling the optimization applying FSR only in the lens sweetspot. Playing on an 8k X.

1 Like

on index i was able to set all ultras including shadows, reflections and aliasing, in ets2 and it works better than before wo these settings. On 8kx i didnt try fsr, but it requires PP on 120 fov and quite greedy, maybe PP is the reason

Probably PP is the culprit in some way, though I did further trials with Oculus mode in the recent days - and as before, performance is even slightly worse in Oculus mode w/o PP than with Steam/OpenVR with PP activated.

So, it seems to me, ETS/ATS are generally “optimized” for Steam/OpenVR, although that handling with PP is blocking quite some FPS I think.

Hopefully, one day, SCS will improve the VR engine and support for their games. I especially except the engine’s CPU handling and usage could be improved.

I noticed a big improvement in DCSWorld.
I jumped to 80 plus FPS but images were a bit fuzzier. So In the DCS VR settings I bumped pixel density from 1.2 to 1.7 and got 50-60 FPS with near native mode clarity. However, Necksafer no longer works.
So I have to do some experimenting.
In Il2 with most settings on ultra and the horizon set further out(120miles? ) I get a solid 50-60 FPS. About 10-15 FPS more with higher graphics settings. And necksafer stillworks.
Incidentally both games have been recently updated and that may also have improved performance as well.

So, I did a quick 5 minute set of test runs in a game on Project Wingman. The results with FSR are uh… Surprising. Doing the exact same run each time, I got these average results. I raised settings beyond what I normally do specifically to try and stress my system. On the 8k X at 100% resolution in SteamVR and 1.0 in Pitool, without any foveated Rendering, I got

Without FSR: 44.42
With FSR and set to 2(Bilinear upscale outside sweetspot disabled): 61.22
With FSR and default(0.5) setting: 71.26

Holy hell that’s a difference. With the entire screen doing the normal upscaling, it’s almost 28% uplift. With stock settings to save performance, it’s almost 38%. An entire 10% gain with that optimizatrion left on. Average GPU frame times without FSR were 21.3ms while average with FSR on stock was 12.6. The ridiculousness of this gain cannot be understated.

I’m surprised to see double digit % gains by keeping the cheaper upscaling outside the sweetspot enabled. I didn’t have any time to test it with foveated rendering enabled. I would love to see some other people’s results trying in different games.

4 Likes

Hi omni - what is your opinion of the image quality difference between your three different test settings?

1 Like

In my case , i tried it on some racing simulators.

On asseto corsa and rfactor2 it performs very well and image quality remains quite good.

It works really good on dirt rally 2 , on the quality and performance side. Good!

On AMS2 (with a custom openvr.ini file based on an old version that ams2 use) there is a quite decent boost in performance BUT image quality is not good at all , even on ultra preset. Not good…

On asseto corsa competicione , it works , but you only notice a worse image qualty but also a lower performance, so unusable.

Btw AMS2 needs PP but apart of that FFR does not work, to fix it ,it need work of AMS2 developers or is on pitool/pimax side?

Regards.

1 Like

In the 4 games I tried it, Pavlov, Blade and Sorcery, Project WIngman, and TWD: Saints and Sinners? I would say that, in general, it felt incredibly close to native overall. There was some variance, but as a whole the barely worse image quality felt absolutely worth the MASSIVE performance uplift. FSR appears to work better the higher base resolution and the 8k X has a pretty high base res.

However, there was one consistent trade off in all of these. Smaller or really distant text felt a little bit blurrier and that it had varying levels of “shimmer” present to it. How bad this was varied. In Blade and Sorcery, for instance, it was by far the worst and at times felt actually distracting. Project WIngman, it wasn’t really noticeable unless I actively looked for it, and Pavlov it felt pretty much non-existent due to not having as much text or most of the text in the game either being a very big size or very close to me. TWD also didn’t appear to be that bad. It may have to do with how the individual engines use their AA, I dunno.

In terms of having the bilinear upscaling on/off, I did notice an image quality difference, but only when I was actively looking outside the sweetspot. This became incredibly obvious on text. It didn’t make it quite unreadable, except in B&S, but it wasn’t exactly plesant either. How worth it that extra 10% feels will probably depend on the game. I may experiment increasing the radius of the FSR upscaling without making the whole image use it to still get some extra performance. In some cases, it made the large FoV feel not quite as good as it normally is due to the best image being in the lens sweetspot with noticeable drop outside it, even moreso than usual.

1 Like

Impressive numbers.

Was that 72 because you hit the max refresh rate of the 8kx ? What if you try running in 90hz mode?

No, I was running at 90hz for each test.

1 Like

I was playing a lot with this tool lately. At my pc I can usualy gain at least +20% (scale=1.2) more supersampling with Amd Fsr, almost at no cost of performance. Foveated radius 0.66 is more then enough.
Some games can go even higher, i.E. Skyrim.

On the other side, AMD FSR supersampling is not same quality as regular supersampling. There is visible difference. But with high FSR sharpening (sometimes even 1.00), there is more to get then loose.

It is highly recommended for most of the games.

1 Like

I wanted to know if this solution works with RaceRoom Expirence, I tried to do it and I don’t see any changes, I wonder if I’m doing everything correctly?

If you are not sure, then you have 2 options:

1. set debugmode true, that will show foveated rendering circles. Well radius must be lower than 1 to be visible, better 0,5.

2. check log (openvr_mod.log)
    if there are no errors, then it is working

1 Like

I found I nifty GUI for Openvr_fsr here

Management Gui for OpenVR FSR PlugIn | PythonRepo

Releases · tappi287/openvr_fsr_app (github.com)

First run can take a very long time as it scans your Steam Library for games

took me 10+ minutes.

4 Likes

New update for Open FSR

something about taking canted displays into account

3 Likes

Yes, it is mostly about Pimax headsets and foveated rendering; Now AmdFSR foveated rendering is working out of the box with and without paralel projections. Excellent work.

3 Likes

Another update, thx Fholger; now we can choose between Amd fsr solution or Nvidia image scaling (NIS). They are booth similar, you need to check what you like more.

2 Likes

5 posts were split to a new topic: Fholger FSR OpenVR_Foveate

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.