Fholger FSR OpenVR_Foveated

FHolger has done it again!

As an alternative to his FSR injector, he now has one for fixed foveated rendering.

Piserver has its own FR injection, of course, but Holger’s works with non-RTX GPUs, since it uses shader masks instead of VRS (…although VRS is coming, apparently), Unfortunately FFR is a more invasive operation than FSR, so there are some severe limitations to which games it works with - pretty much nothing built on Unreal Engine, for example.

I tried it with Elite Dangerous, and in that particular case, whilst it did indeed visibly reduce resolution towards the edges (in two steps, with user-configurable radii), alas its effect on my frame times proved detrimental, rather than beneficial, in the form of a massive CPU load increase, whilst doing little for the GPU side of things (there was also an artefact in the form of a grid overlaying parts of the view where there were smoke sprites, which is likely to appear over other transparent elements as well).

3 Likes

So what you’re saying is it doesn’t work?

1 Like

Depends on the game. He gets 15-30% in After the Fall, apparently, with barely noticeable aggressiveness settings.

(EDIT: Unity based games have a higher chance of working than many others, supposedly. Holger is looking into whether difficulties with others can be overcome with reasonable effort.)

1 Like

I wonder if Pimax is going to implement this natively in their driver.

There’s really no excuse

1 Like

Well, I’m sure it’s a fair bit more involved than calling NVidia’s provided “VRS Helper” (EDIT: …which I assume is what PiServer is doing).

2 Likes

This tool is great; it is similar like pitool fixed foveated rendering.
Actualy, fholger updated this tool (current v0.2), and now we have 2 different ways of achieving foveated rendering trough it:

1. RDM - radial density masking
    It works on all graphic cards, and in most of the games. The circles are really visible, and in some occasions the outer circles are much brighter. I saw it as disturbing sometimes in Skyrim.
    It looks like this:

2. VRS - Variable Rate Shading
    This variant is only available on NVIDIA RTX and GTX 16xx cards. The circles are less visible (often invisible), and outer parts are not brighter. For me this is much better solution.
    Beware, this method works only on some GPU´s, and in less games compared to RDM.
    It looks like this:

PS: the pictures are zoomed, and are showing just small part of center, but it is enough to see difference between two methods.
The Pitool foveated rendering looks more like first method, but without problems with discoloration.

1 Like

Oh - what were your performance gains with Skyrim?

…because I got the same result as I did with Elite Dangerous, which is to say frame times got slightly worse, and CPU load went up significantly ( i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 16GB, 1080Ti (…so only RDM), Win10). -Would be interesting if that was only something on my end, and not the game.

EDIT: By the way, if I’m getting the readme right: For the future, it seems Holger is deprecating his OpenVR_api.dll replacers, and will unify their features in a single thing that injects itself through dxgi.dll instead (…and works with Oculus’ runtime as well as OpenVR). Its first release only has the FSR functionality for the time being.

If anybody intend to use that one: Judging by file suffix, it appears the config file in now in YAML format – if it is strictly used as such, it may be worth keeping in mind that, as far as I can recall, that format is indentation-syntaxed, so make sure to keep any leading spaces intact. :7

2 Likes

I had better time frames with it.

Native 16.5ms
RDM about 15ms
VRS 9.5ms

But it was with strong foveated, and it depends on current scenery in game.

2 Likes

Aha - thanks. Looks like I should tinker more.

Apparently VRS is significantly more efficient – ho-hum, maybe one day RTX cards will not cost quite so many vital organs… :7

That shouldn’t look that way unless you have debug mode enabled Press Ctrl-F1 i think that’s the shortcut.

I wish this mod had a ui overlay like reshade.

No, that was not in debug mode. And it is not always like this, in bright scenery it is not so bad like here.
But I wanted to show the difference between two options, and with RDM you will see it like this at least sometimes.
Well if you are looking at bright sunny sky, you will definetly have better results.

RDS is way more better, and outer rings will never be brighter on same picture. Use always this if you can choose.

1 Like

NIS brightens use FSR.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.