AMAZING IMMERSION with right IPD/PiTool Settings

This is really some interesting information, big thanks for sharing! We will try do adopt this method to the PE IPD Guide, as its clearly working better than many charts/images Ive tried with.

16 Likes

I installed PE a week or so ago and updated to this latest version.

I see the options along the bottom, including IPD Guide.
But it still says Coming Soon

I really do thing we need that asap to help improve the experience, IF it can easily and quickly be used to set your IPD

@SweViver I think someones mentioned it in another post, about using a blue line on one screen and an identical positioned line on the other screen, but this time you make it yellow.
If settings are correct, when you look through the headset with both eyes open, the 2 lines will merge to make a green line
If you see both lines, or a thicker line which is yellow on one side, green in middle and blue on the other side, you then change the position until it is green

This is a similar method used by Eyeque in their VisionCheck device, but they use red and green lines to make a yellow line. You can see in this video EyeQue VisionCheck Tutorial Video 2.0 - YouTube

Again with a horizontal line you can adjust the vertical positions for the screens.

In fact using the same method EyeQue use, surely @Pimax can create virtual ā€œglassesā€ for the user.
Do this test to get a rough prescription for each eye and then have the screen distorted to match that prescription setting. idk
Of course lenses arent flat, but with the eye tracking, cant the screen be distorted based on the pupil position, thereby acting as a lens???

And if you watch the rest of the EyeQue video, using various angles lines, you can find any astigmatism of each eye.

7 Likes

of course, I leave it stationary as it makes it easier to focus :grin:

3 Likes

With mechanical ipd set to 61.8, I closed one eye then the other, and edges were in the exact place as was expected, ie perfect binocular overlap. Left eye sharp but right eye a bit less. And I set right eye offset to 0.5 and this seems perfect and it feels like Iā€™m actually flying in aircar. But later I set ipd to the lowest, 60.6 and the binocular overlap seems to match, but maybe slightly more sharp in right eye but Iā€™m not quite sure tbh. Itā€™s hard to see the difference.

2 Likes

Update: So I looked at a building sign in aircar from a distance, with the sign perfectly centered in the front windshield. Then I quickly closed my left eye, then right eye. You have to alternate really fast/rapidly to see the difference. And I noticed that my right eye showed the picture lower than my left eye.

Hereā€™s the values Iā€™ve settled on:
IPD offset
Left: 0.3
Right: 0.5

Screen vertical offset:
Left: 0
Right: -0.4

Now when I rapidly close my left and right eye they both look like in the same position. But should my left offset match exactly?

Update: Iā€™m feeling eye fatigue and I canā€™t tell if itā€™s the new settings or the fact Iā€™ve tired my eyes constantly squeezing my eyebrows and eyes when doing experiment. I think the latter maybe. Theyā€™re still tired and sleepy 5 mins after taking off headset.

3 Likes

Offset depends on your eyes IPD and lens placement (and also headset placement itself) . Because of that I doubt your eyes and offset values will be symmetrical.

3 Likes

It might be not enough sleep. Tomorrow I will try my headset and again and hopefully I donā€™t feel eye strain. I think 61.8 might actually be better for me than putting it on the lowest of 60. What are your thoughts?

2 Likes

This is the issue - I tried the various different suggestions and you will get tired of trying really soon, because the eyes are being stressed quite a lot in the process. So in order to be effective, you will have to plan multiple sessions and be prepared to quit a session when you notice eye-strain & fatigue becoming stronger. Just like growing VR legs. Should we call it growing Pimax eyes then ?? :laughing:

A tool with proper objects to focus on in different focal planes, spoken or written instructions within the headset, would certainly go a long way to help get the best experience out of the 8KX. The frustration and exhaustion of having to go through this alignment time and again in search of small improvements had led to me not touching my 8KX for 1-2 months. I still have to pick up the refinement efforts again (my attempts were still based on the PiTool version with 0.5 steps) because the only reason I started to try the 8KX again some 2 weeks ago was that I promised myself that I would NOT try to improve my cross-eyed sensation for now but just try to adapt to it and see if I can have a bit of fun with the 8KX and get my favourite games & apps to work with it. So I still need to improve the IPD settings further, because it still feels slightly cross-eyed every time I use it. Much better than in the beginning though, but still not at or very near the 100%.

6 Likes

It would be very useful to be able to switch off one eye display or set it to completely dark and then allow us to very quickly alternate the switch between eyes. It would make this process very easy, even for beginners. @SweViver @arminelec

5 Likes

Hi! If you didnā€™t already you may give this procedure a go.

Immersion might still be reduced/gone but eyestrain should be gone, too so you could still enjoy your 8kx prior to further adjustment described here or waiting for IPD PiTool Tool.

3 Likes

Thereā€™s definitively something to it. Iā€™m around 5-6 apart same as the OP and it feels just right and your in a big worldā€¦ I still need to experiment some as im always fatigued in my right eye but i was before too.

Edit. Afraid while it does feel good having it a fair bit apart i find it dosent quite work and both my left right offsets are now 2.2 and i use a couple up and down to get separation. If i do the -2 3 or something similar the image is skewed and distorted. For me anyways. Guessing it depends a lot on actual lens position why you can do -2.7 and 3.2 in the other. I really dont know.

3 Likes

thx for the feedback!

2 Likes

That could actually be possible since the way the Pimax Unity SDK controls the rendering of the image of each eye separately. We are looking into this. Thanks

Btw we are sorry that we havenā€™t responded to many of your ideas, we are just a bit busy with code and currently we are working on the online profile code and server back-end.

15 Likes

Ok, so Iā€™m having a hard time understanding this prosess. Iā€™m not criticizing as the subjective experience of vr makes it really difficult to explain. What is described when reaching the right ipd setting sounds like a fundamental change. Now is this when it is just right or is there a range which takes you closer in to immersiveness and if you tune beyond that you loose it again?

In step two I donā€™t understand with: ā€œif this building feels of the centerā€¦ā€. Iā€™ve not had this feeling in my pimax. I want to ask. Off-centre as opposed to what? Would it help if we could get a grid overlay while tuning to have some uniform reference?

hi! thx for your inputs!

my experience is that, if set right both offsets and IPD to your eyes, when they are positionend as you were looking at something far away, than it should also feel right when looking at something near without any eye strain. only then my eyes can focus on different virtual objects as they were placed in space from like 30cm or 100m away and my eyes behave/coordinate the same as they would in real life and not lie focusing on two screens in 1,2,3 or whatever focal distance they should be.

I am just curious to know if this kind of setting the 8kx up for some reason only applies to my face/eyes or this might be some universal formula.

I will retest my guide as soon I get some time which might be not until this weekend and redo it if I believe I can write it more understandable.

3 Likes

Thanks for clarifying. Iā€™m going to think about what you wrote, just need to rest my eyes.

This might be a tip or not: When trying to find if your horizontal ipd is on the level between your eyes one can try and do the following. You need to sit with your head level. Any rolling will skew the two images. I found that large, pink floating brain in aircar. Flew so I had it in a far distance. Then I purpously changed the horizontal IPD so that the two images diverge. You might need to play with the focus of your eyes to get two brains floating next to each other. Now it is a bit easier to adjust the height of the different images so that they are level because you donā€™t need to close one eye and switch.

So I found out to keep them level my right eye had to be -0.8 lower than my left. If I then want to change my left eye horizontal ipd to 1 for clarity reasons, I can be fairly sure that my right will have to be +0.2.

No change in immersion for me this tuning session though.

4 Likes

thats why you need to use horizontal offset for both eyes to get scale right
In my case IRL ipd is 65.9 , mechanical IPD in HMD is set to 61.6 and horizontal offset - 1.4 left and - 1.2 right eye. For minimalizing distortion Iā€™ve used vertical offset -1.5 and finally my vision and word scale is perfect !
But it also depends from facepad thickness and how munch velcro you have added to get proper angle between eyes and lenses.

5 Likes

absolutely! i should mention i am using the vive deluxe audio strap and facemask from my 5k+. Mask still isnā€™t perfect but feels better than the thin one i was sent with 8kx. still waiting for the second, thicker facepad.

3 Likes

Hereā€™s the problem. In real life, if you do the same experience by closing the left and right eye quickly while looking at the same objectā€¦you will find that the object youā€™re looking at is not in the same position. At least according to my eyes lol.

7 Likes

Itā€™s a good job they arenā€™t, as thatā€™s whatā€™s responsible for the stereo 3d effect that makes VR headsets work.