Am I correct in thinking that we cannot update base station (V1) firmware without extra non-Pimax hardware?

Valve changed V2 so they can only update via Valve and Htc headset’s bluetooth lfe. Not sure why Valve decided to remove usb updating. A user long ago mentioned Steam Support advised against usb updating.

Which of course is not good for pimax customers when an update maybe focused on improvements to shared components like Trackers and non pimax produced controllers. And of course any optimizations that maybe implemented fir power states or game fix like they did on v1 Lhes when Beatsaber players dempnstrated faster movements than what was though possible(guess Valve missed Bruce Lee’s 1" punch and didn’t see the Making of The One where Jet Li needed to slow his movements for the camera :laughing:)

3 Likes

Have you opened a ticket with Pimax citing Valve support ?

2 Likes

Nah, the controllers were bought from Valve / steam. I don’t think there’s anything Pimax can do, unless you mean to try to encourage them to make updating the BS firmware easier.

1 Like

Shouldn’t matter where you buy parts for a licensed system. That’s the point. Whoever isn’t compliant needs to be. Valve says it’s Pimax. I’d forward the comment.

1 Like

The real question does Valve sell the propietary bluetooth? Ie Does StarVR, Xtal or Varjo? Have the ability to update LHes. If not then maybe Valve should sell the propietary dongle as a separate stand alone item.

1 Like

If that’s the case then Pimax shouldn’t state their hmds support V1 and V2 not without disclaimers.

StarVR, Xtal and Varjo are compatible as well.

Don’t you renember Tandy was a PC Compatible that sometimes required software to say it was also Tandy compatible.

Pimax is compatible with Lighthouse Tracking. So is Lighthouse compatible. Much like a universal remote is compatible to control any TV but you will often find it is missing functions of the original remote.

1 Like

Never owned a Tandy…

There were other compatibles that were not 100% ie iirc 486slm? Opposed to Sx and dx

If you need a Vive hmd to flash a Vive base then regardless of who is at fault, Pimax should be indicating on their Store:
“Warning for V1 Base Stations. Future firmware updates to Vive bases require a Vive headset.”

Guessing so should others that say compatible with Steamvr tracking.

The Lighthouses themselves also come or have a dongle available for purchase as some buy lighthouse for use without a headset and likely would want to be able to update them.

This would be on Valve as you used to be able to update V1 LHes via usb. If Valve removed this from the software after deciding v2 would only update via propietary internal bluetooth in Valve and Vive Pro headsets. Then that is on valve for removing it from the v1.

2 Likes

Valve support says otherwise. This needs resolution by Pimax and Valve and until it is resolved new customers need to be warned.

edit
To be clear i have not said it isn’t Valve’s doing. I only maintain it’s in Pimax’s interest to address and warn future customers regardless until and unless it is resolved.

1 Like

Agreed your just copying Valve’s statement which is likely a bot response vs a real person whom might know otherwise and make an inquiry.

Valve had broken spec of v1 if you can no longer update via usb. That is on there software likely in part due to discontinuing v1 LH support in SteamVR software stack.

The V1 are branded HTC Lighthouses so HTC might be better to inquire. But V2 are all Valve’s sole product.

HTC didn’t make the change. Valve did.

But there HTC made. So HTC is more likely able to get v1 usb lh firmware update restored.

Though honestly Valve should get modern and have a usb port for Flashdrive updating like motherboards.

You can still update the V1s with USB though, just not super straight forward, so I don’t know why the discussion turned into that.
Its the V2s that are another story

3 Likes

Because it was suggested you couldn’t update v1s anymore by the usb method. :smirk:

And it seems Valve support is confusing the 2 then.

That being said I do recall someone attempted to update through the usb-c port on the 1st gen v2 branded SteamVR Lighthouse that also has the unused sync cable port.

Steam support was able to fix it for him iirc and they recommended against usb updating.

Doesn’t matter who is more likely. Pimax needs to see it resolved or disclaim full V1 support when selling hmds a la carte.

@XabbuSwe clarified. It does support usb updating on v1. Compatible as we already discussed with PC clones like Tandy or the fact early IBM branded PCs were not compatible with MSDOS only PCDOS.

Compatible with SteamVR does not mean full parity. Ie wireless Firmware updates and power state wireless control.

The above seems to be only Valve Sponsored headsets.

Now yes Valve should clearly advertise V2 Lighthouses require a Valve Index, HTC Vive Pro, HTC Cosmos? Or HTC Vive Pro2 for Firmware updates and wireless power state control.

Valve should have made it fully available to hardware manufacturers as they advertises long ago. Not just Tracking system.

Valve changed a wide variety of things regarding LightHouse v2.

• Available to OEMs as a Module to rebrand. (Nope) if had this it could have had a method for oems to add firmware update options and control of power states wirelessly.
  • Available to oems for $59 :us:(Raised price considerably)
1 Like

Sorry Helio. I got thrown off when @Tharg said he had not got the steamvr.vrsettings hack to work and while considering the title of his thread, the future posts from that point had me thinking he had not resolved updating the base.
I feel silly. What was it Guilda radner used to say “nevernind” :rofl:

2 Likes