Am I correct in thinking that we cannot update base station (V1) firmware without extra non-Pimax hardware?

IIRC Kevin said that Valve have told Pimax that there is no need to update as the tracking is just as good on whatever firmware version, and there is no way for us to easily update.

The reason I ask is that I am talking to them about exchanging / returning an index controller and one of the trouble shooting steps they have for me is

It appears that your base stations require a firmware update. To get your machine into the best state possible, please install any available updates for your devices. Since you’re using a Pimax headset, base station updates and power management features are handled via the Pimax software instead of SteamVR.

so I want to make sure I am correct before I reply saying I cannot do this.

1 Like

For v1 base stations you can upgrade them through an USB cable

Its the v2s that you would need a Vive Pro, Vive Pro 2 or Index to update.

3 Likes

Thanks.

Niether of mine show the “update required” icon and so I cannot select to update the firmware. Right clicking / mouse-overing them does not provide the option, even when connected on usb. IDK why steam thinks they need an update / who is wrong.

1 Like

You would need to run SteamVR without PiTool for it to show up as not up to date and to allow you to update

2 Likes

When I do this they do not show up in the SteamVR window at all. Nothing does.

Ahh okay, try this then.
Go to SteamInstallDir\config\ and open steamvr.vrsettings with a text editor.
Add the line:
“requireHmd”: false,
under the “steamvr” : { section and save.
Then try to launch it again with the Lighthouse plugged in with USB.

Ohh and yeah they might already be up to date, long times since v1 had any updates afaik

2 Likes

My V1s haven’t asked for an update in near 2 years and they were used condition when I got them.

3 Likes

Yeah to be honest I would just say they are up to date

2 Likes

Thing is I’m sending them steamvr and msinfo reports etc so I think they will / should know (?).

I bought at least one second hand so it is possible, if unlikely.

Add the line:
“requireHmd”: false,
under the “steamvr” : { section and save.

In the steamvr block, right?

Tbh, not sure they know or not, and its just part of their checklist.

Yeah, but now when I wrote it I just had to try it as it was a long time since I used null drivers to do that myself, and of course things have changed so it doesn’t work. I’ll see if I can get it to work somehow

1 Like

Oh I may have just been impatient. It seems to be “working” now.

I just plugged in an index controller to verify that the HMD not required setting had worked, and this popped up

So either the controller triggered it, or I just needed to wait longer.

Will now try updates to see if they work.

3 Likes

Why do you suspect the firmware?

Could be either, but great that it worked!

20 characters long kinda

2 Likes

Doh totally missed the opener. :smiley:

1 Like

Also just for info, probably not clear, I know valve is basically f***ing me around. I have another index left controller that works fine. I have two purchased sets that I try to alternate as they last me 4-6 weeks before the sticks are done. Valve knows this. Also according to youtube they have not watched either of the 2 vids showing the issue on this particular controller that I have already linked for them. I know that lighthouse firmware should have no effect on this. I think this is my 9th or 10th exchange / return.

About 50% of the time they do me an advance RMA (the working one that arrived the day after this bad one is one such), about 40% of the time after they watch my vids they thank me for my extensive testing and I do basic troubleshooting and they exchange it, sometimes with a short delay.

This is the first time they have asked me to go to this extent. Unplugging nearly all non-essential USB, msinfo reports, etc. But then again it is also the first time I have had a bad one out of the box.

I am just following their instructions so they can tick stuff off at their end and I can get this moving ASAP.

2 Likes

Is your issue stick drift?

1 Like

Kind of. More “not detecting full range”. I personally don’t describe it as stick drift.

Here is a vid of one that was returned a week or two ago. This is the worst yet, probably as I carried on using it for a little while. Pt 1 of this vid a few days earlier was not so extreme. This is a re-upload to prevent doxing myself.

1 Like

Well ya that is definitely hardware and not firmware. It’s not like they haven’t had clicking issues either.
It looks like the internal mechanism fell off alignment. I mention that having had an issue with my first stick not moving all the way forward and instead of centering, it would drift backward. Fell off a lit of ledges.

I did surgery on an Oculus Touch stick. The top screw holding it’s stick in place was also keeping the central mechanism in place. When the screw got loose. Once I re-seated the part that was loose and tightened down the stick it was fine.

If they don’t resolve your complaint you could always look inside at where the stick sits but care with the ribbons,

1 Like

Due to a weird sequence of events I have a third set of index controllers that also have the issue, but they are not under warranty.

I also received these

today, have the this vid

in my bookmarks, and a few spare hours this weekend.

Re my other controller issue, I updated everything and did the usb dance as per their request, still have the issue, and now await their response.

3 Likes