About 60-70% performance improved on RTX2080Ti

As you can see this is not clear and if we are talking about problems more or less connected with 8K my question is legit and normal and at least needed to be clarified. Is it that hard to answer a few simple words on this definitely nat clarified issue? It is on the benefit of all of us and there is no need to patronize someone who asking some issue to be clarified.

bubbleball point it too. There is an obvious problem with 8K and at this point, without some answer, I don’t see the point for existing at all. Without some answers, I doubt even in Pimax8KX be able to reproject proper picture in 4K. Problem is now clarity of 4K which is inferior to 1440p native.
I just want to see where this going and is it my question that hard to understand? Is it a bad question at all? This will clarify a lot of things and mysteryes about 8K vs 5K. Sorry, I’m mostly interested in 8K and without proper answers on such simple question. Right now with every day, I’m more and more away from Pimax in general. And I have to debate with you instead get an answer from Pimax itself.
Sorry, Pimax but this is completely unprofessional from you in the first place.

That’s unfortunately incorrect. They announced 60 Hz 1440p support for the 8K model.

Yep. Pimax is a young, small company. They clearly have some issues which need to be addressed.

Still, they are the first to produce a consumer-level wide-FOV VR headset. Being first means you are the first to hit snags, like “real” 4K LCD modules with a fast switching time being unavailable or too costly (at least that’s my assumption). FWIW, I think the 8K panels haven’t changed since the prototypes; what happened was a new, better 1440p panel became available, so it’s not so much that the 8K’s panel is inferior (it’s what was demoed), so much as it’s that the 5K+ panel is now superior.

12 Likes

Yes, but we still don’t have anything official. When you, me or someone else say something it is just assumption and nothing proven or confirmed by officially so could be completely wrong. Is it that hard to answer such straight, clear and simple question?

4 Likes

Apparently it is, for Pimax. I don’t understand why, but I think it must be (at least in part) cultural.

4 Likes

Is it performance boost of shading only or total fps? I have a feeling its 25% of a small percentage of total fps

2 Likes

…immediate performance measured in milliseconds of 25% better framerate

Total fps.

2 Likes

If Pimax say they want to do X, and then fail to implement in a stable manner, people will be pissed. If they say they won’t do it, and then finally manage to do it, people will be pissed (“If I had known I would have picked the other headset”). Better say nothing until they are confident they can or cannot do it.

2 Likes

And yet no other company is even planning to release anything better, and people are not pissed by that fact :slight_smile: Oculus Quest…really?

8 Likes

maybe, it’s a small and uninteresting market, but don’t forget that large companies don’t make kickstarters, they don’t need to tell what they are doing two years in advance.

For example, does anyone know anything about Odyssey+?

sooner or later they’re gonna use this stuff

4 Likes

I’m sort of annoyed of teasing multiuser persistence because I feel like they won’t really do anything with it. I mean, scheduling time at a local basketball court isn’t that crazy or even expensive. Although I suppose you’d need good WiFi.

1 Like

As much as it sucks I think Oculus is genuinely waiting for the new screen tech to become available. If Samsung JDI and BOE were producing already Pimax would be using OLED now instead of LCD. No dobut the 5K is a good short term solution

2 Likes

Thanks for posting this. Wow 1200PPI 120hz with 250 nits brightness. That is wet dream material right there! I’m pretty sure the lower end 1440 x 1600 SDE free panels will be going into the Odyssey+ as we speak. They have an SDE perception level of 1000 PPI

2 Likes

The Display tech is impressive but it’s the gpu power that’s falling short.

3 Likes

And for that reason the lower end 1600P panel look VERY interesting. 1000 PPI percieved SDE. Would love to see how effective that is

1 Like

That’s where fovated rendering comes in

3 Likes

Eye tracking must first demonstrate that it works, where working means working 100% of time, on 100% of people

4 Likes

Well that’s been proven to everyone who’s tried Star VR

1 Like

Yes when game devs support it.

1 Like

Beware of Adam Sandler’s screwed up eye friend. :laughing:

2 Likes

As far as I know, they only got to try a small static demo, the car demo, made especially for them. In The Lab was disabled

Do you remember when the Pimax 8K was first unveiled? Short demos in a controlled environment, and people said it was perfect. Only today we know what didn’t work, what doesn’t work yet, and what will never work on this model.

8 Likes