About 60-70% performance improved on RTX2080Ti

The team have done some quick comparison test with 50+ games during the holiday on RTX2080Ti,
Here are some draft conclusions:

1. We have achieved ~35% performance improvement by implementing a new rendering algorithm, but it’s not backward compatible. it requires Unreal 4.18 or above version, and Oculus SDK 1.17 or above. But almost every Unity games are OK.
That is,
a. New game based Unreal 4.18 or above works perfectly.
b. Old game based Unreal 4.17 or below don’t work, and you will get a wrong stereoscopic overlap.
c. Games based Unity engine work perfectly.
d. Games based Oculus SDK 1.17 or above work perfectly.

To do backward compatibility with the old game based Unreal 4.17 or below, we add a checkbox in the PiTool, but it seems most users turn on the setting but forget to turn off it when playing the new games, thus, they didn’t take the advantage of our new rendering algorithm.

for example:
a. Pavlov VR, Batman: Arkham VR, IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad;…
old Unreal engine Not supported
b. Onward, Payday2, DOOM VFR, Skyrim VR, The Gallery - Episode 2: Heart of the Emberstone, Guns’n’Stories: Preface VR,…
new Unreal version, supported
c. The Lab, The Blu, Fruit NinJa VR…
Unity based games supported

2. RTX2080Ti VS GTX1080Ti you will get ~30% performance improvement.

So when you combined solution 1 and solution 2. you can totally get more ~60% performance, taking GTX1080Ti as the benchmark.

for Pimax 5K+, you can set the rendering quality level 1.5 in PiTool and SS ~100% in SteamVR, The games play smoothly and visual quality looks fanatics.

For Pimax 8K, you need set the rendering quality level 1.75 in PiTool and SS ~60% in SteamVR, The games play smoothly and visual quality looks fanatics.

Accordingly, we tuned a special gamma setting for Pimax 8K under 1.75 rendering quality value, it can enhance the sharpness but drop off some brightness.

important for Pimax 8K, you should set the rendering quality 1.75 in PiTool for good visual quality and sharpness. currently, we don’t’ recommend any setting blow 1.5 in PiToll. We might lock the 1.5 or 1.75 value in next version PiTool for regular 8K users. But geeks and advanced users can still access the further setting.

for Pimax 8K backers, you should go with RTX2080Ti and “rendering level 1.75”, plus new gamma setting which is going to be updated in the headset’s firmware.

3. 72Hz VS 90Hz in Pimax 5K
We tested 72Hz and 90Hz, with our the CLPL pannel technology, the difference between 72Hz and 90Hz are unnoticeable as we expected since the system MTP valve compensated in other ways.

We plan to make a comparison table about Pimax 5K+ and Pimax 8K and share with you.

Thanks!

66 Likes

Great news, if you are using NVidia AND have ~$1400 USD free to spend on a video card…

Still waiting for information and optimizations for the AMD Cards (like the Vega 64).

Are AMD listed on the partners page because they are, or is it just for show?

YMMV

@deletedpimaxrep1 @PimaxVR @Pimax-Support

FYI - Elite Dangerous is one of the most popular VR titles (from the Berlin Testers) in use - and it doesn’t use Unity or Unreal. What testing has been done to see if/how this works with the Pimax Headsets?

Bob

7 Likes

@SweViver @mixedrealityTV @VoodooDE
Would you please do some similar tests, enable and disable “Compatible with parallel projections”?
In the future, we need a table to show which game is below Unreal 4.18 and need old rendering algorithm. But we believe more and more games come out with the latest Unreal engine and this compatible issue will go, then we can completely remove the old rendering algorithm.

16 Likes

Has the pimax mainsite been fixed? Users have Reported it has a virus.

Shipping update please as no backer reports receiving email about headsets being shipped.

7 Likes

Thanks for your reminding, the Pimax main site is under fix now, the website recently got a lot of attacks and we plan to rebuild the website architecture for better security. we will update a temporary web page by today.

Regarding the shipment. we sent several dozen Pimax 8K to our international logistics partner just before the holiday. and we expect to get the right tracking information after the holiday when the partner come back to the office.

14 Likes

So you have not shipped all of the first batch of headsets? When will they get shipped ?

2 Likes

Before the holiday, the factory only manages to finish ~40 PCS headsets package and shipped to the international logistics agency. then the agency will distribute the headset individually. The rest of the first batch finished assembly headset only. But not manage to finish the testing and package before the factory shut down for the National Holiday. we will continue the testing and shipment when the factory reopens the day after tomorrow.

Thanks for your understanding.

13 Likes

Well, if the quality looks fanatics, I am most definitely upgrading to 2080Ti !!!
No point having anything blow that from here on in.

You cannot beat fanatics :slight_smile:

“FANATICS” THE NEW STANDARD OF AWESOMENESS!

:smiley:

I love you, Pimax peeps :smiley: I’m just messing about :wink:

Anyway, gonna wait for the big 3 (SweViver, mixedrealityTV, VoodooDE) to give their verdict on the 2080Ti, before taking the 2080Ti plunge :slight_smile:
Hopefully, it will be FANATICS!!!
:smiley:

8 Likes

So you said you “implemented a new rendering path”. Does that mean I need to download a new Pitool or firmware for this new rendering path thing? I’m still using version 76 since weeks as there was no new link for me. Or do you just mean the old “compatible with parallel projections” setting? Isn’t there a way to let the software recognize the used game automatically? It will be even more user-unfriendly to know what game engine a game has and choose the right settings. Most people don’t know and don’t care about the game engine…

Also you will implement some new settings ONLY on the Pitool rendering quality 1.75 with a new firmware? When will this firmware be released? What version do I need? For me there is no firmware update on 5K+ and 8K since before the Berlin Backer Meetup.

For the 72Hz vs 90Hz I can tell you that there IS a huge difference! I tried the 72Hz on the Oculus Quest and white areas are flickering a lot!
However we can try it of course.

Please tell me when I can try these new things with my 2080 Ti.
Also I tried the new 416.16 Nvidia drivers and Pimax headsets aren’t recognized anymore. It says “connect DP/HDMI”, USB connection seems to be recognized.

13 Likes

@PimaxVR Could you please elaborate on the “black dots” issue on the 5K+ ?

Is it panel manufacturing/design issue ?

Are you discussing this with the panel manufacturer to fix or at least improve this issue ?

According to sweviver this is a real issue as those dots can be really annoying for movies or even games. For movies he rated this issue more important than SDE.

You really don’t want this on a panel used for VR :confused:

http://community.openmr.ai/t/dots-on-the-5k-screen/

2 Likes

Not the same panel technology, so flickering at “low” refresh may differ.

But we also knew from the beginning this flickering would be perceived differently from one person to another. Studies even exist about that.

Anyway it is still worth implementing even if not everybody will have the “chance” to take advantage of it.

8 Likes

these dots on panel aim to enhance the contrast of colors.
but they’re invisible in 99% scenarios. I think it can be improved by some color/gamma/brightness fine tuning.
Maybe someone is more sensitive to this than others, but we do hear rare complaint about this. I even don’t recognize this dots when I play the Pimax 5K+ hundreds of hours.

Anyway, we’re beware of this, and will try some improvement solutions later on.

33 Likes

@PimaxVR
Special gamma settings will be optional I hope? Because maybe I don’t want to “enhance the sharpness but drop off some brightness”.

And what about 60Hz in 8K? People take this HMD for movies mainly, so 60Hz mode is very important.

2 Likes

Thank you for having taken time to explain this.

From sweviver testing they are the most visible on orange/red, which make them visible on bright skin tones in movies.

It is nice you are looking for improving this despite you have not heard many complaints about it (yet ?).

Only a few people have tested the pimax, and Berlin were mostly “relatively short” testing. We’ll certainly have a more precise view of how many people notice them once the first batch of headsets have been delivered and people can do longer testing at home.

But again, thanks for your honest answer about this. It saves us a lot of forum guesswork when you make clear explanations like that. :+1:

4 Likes

For movies you want 72hz, not 60hz.

60hz would only benefit to 29.97fps content.

1 Like

No, I want 60Hz, for 60fps movies! 180/360 degrees movies, if you know what I mean. But seems you aren’t.

5 Likes

Ah ah, I forgot about this indeed. I understand what you mean :hugging:

4 Likes

@PimaxVR How about sharpness of 8k when compare with 5k?

If the total score is 100.

Sample 5k+ score = 90, 8k score = 85.

It will be great if you have the picture or may we have to wait the result from tester.

Decision for batch 2 is coming soon.

@SweViver Wait your result with this new firmware for 8k and tell us that the 8k can win 5k+ or not, thanks.

1 Like

@PimaxVR “we may support three FPS in 5K+ : 60Hz 72Hz 90Hz” could you please still look at 80hz also to align with the 8K and also be a smaller step down for those needing a minor performance release.

60, 72, 80, 90 would be perfect!

7 Likes

For Pimax 5K+, the firmware doesn’t need to be updated, so you can start the comparison test with the version 76 PiTool right now by enabling and disabling the checkbox

But for Pimax 8K, we will release a new firmware after the holiday.

Currently, we didn’t figure out how to detect the games’ engine version automatically. but we can arrange the compatibility test for all VR games and make a blacklist table to tell the PiTool which game isn’t supported. There will be a special mark on the game’s icon in “my game page”, so the users can know it in an easy way. if the game is not supported by new rendering algorithm, the end users need to start the game through “my game page” in PiTool.
if don’t, it results in the wrong stereoscopic. For those new games, users can start it either in Steam or in PiTool.

Oculus Quest is mobile VR which is based on a Qualcomm mobile phone SOC 835. the performance is in a different case compare to PC VR. So maybe flickering is caused by the SOC, not by the panel.

11 Likes