A Brief word about resolution from new user of the Pimax Vision 8kX [Review]

Today after getting a few things sorted, the audio and finally the wire hanging suspension system clips stretched, i was able to comfortably enter the virtual world once again in SkyrimVR vanilla for another assessment. This time i focused on resolution primarily, since so many have been wondering why no comments from the first few 8kX owners.

Here is my brief statement.

The resolution is fantastic plain and simple an upgrade from my Pimax 8k. And noticeable so or dramatically so on further observation.

The reason this was not immediately apparent was due to factors i tried to explain in my earlier short review along with the previous distractions i also mentioned earlier now sorted.

Even though i have been a long time user of VR i really did experience a kind of wow factor only after observing things on very close inspection. Looking for fine details in a pre HD modded SkyrimVR completely vanilla.

The list of things include;
Tree Bark really noticeable sharp all most real quality
Ivy very detailed
Wash bucket never looked so real
Vanilla barrels
Armor
Literally every object i examined using the Pimax 8kX at close range was incredibly sharper in said game from what i ever remember before. It did stir within me the excitement from my early days once again.
In addition, i almost always use my Pimax’s in Large FOV mode and have never been bothered by distortion with my units and settings in anyway since day one. And this new HMD is no exception, although I would like the smaller or narrower face cushion to allow my eyes a little closer to the screen.

Well I will sum up my opinion that this is a great HMD in fact i love it. And with proper audio it could be if not already is the best consumer HMD on the market and this comes from a Large FOV fan. You can have your toilet paper roll viewers, I’m happy with Pimax pushing the boundaries and support them for there courage.

Fresco

58 Likes

Thanks so much for taking the time to give us feedback and your thoughts on 8kx!! Appreciate it!

8 Likes

I have been imagining the most immediately striking difference should be in the ability to resolve distant stuff…(?)

(EDIT: …assuming sufficient LOD bias.)

4 Likes

Thanks for the impressions! Do you happen to have an nvidia RTX card in order to check out the Dynamic Foveated Rendering?

2 Likes

What is your opinion on the colors, black levels, brightness, contrast, etc?

Hey! I have a SkyrimVR with almost 500 mods. I played it with Rift S without crashes.

Game looks like real life with every texture renewed, fogs and changing weather added, cloth physics included, dozens of hundreds of new spells added and working full body IK. I can share the mods tomorrow if you want. They only need to copy pasted.

18 Likes

Please Share them.
Thanks

3 Likes

Here are some screenshots. Gonna test it throughout and check that everything works and there are surely no crashes. Maybe I create a new thread of it tomorrow after all is verified. It’s been a while since I played this because I started to wait for the Pimax (got tired of poor FOV).

Note that screenshots are taken from the NON-VR version, but the same mods worked with VR.

20 Likes

@PimaxQuorra @Heliosurge

I would suggest that we revive the Reviews section for the incoming 8KX reviews - copies of e.g. the review OP of this thread. It would be great for the users who have less time to go through all the various threads and try to condense the information in one place for them, as was the idea with the Review section.

15 Likes

Awesome idea. Will see about creating a topic with the cloned posts. Thanks for the poke

2 Likes

Could you or someone give me some quick links? My internet is flakey. Phone company coming out to fix the line

2 Likes

Thanks Kamppis for offering to share your knowledge of this. I almost entirely forgot how to go about modding SkyrimVR probably a long while back since doing other things but this new HMD has got me excited again and i jumped in this afternoon with starting mods slow start I’ve only have around 10 going now. I would be curious to know if you are using a mod loader like nexus mod loader i’m using the community old nexus mod manager that i’m most familiar with and downloaded from nexus the mods manually and using the add file button to get my zip files.

3 Likes

@Heliosurge, I’m willing to do more than that. I can create the topic and clone the posts. However, I can’t do it all now, dinner is soon. I’d probably start (now) by creating the topic and add the clones in ~3-4 hours.

(I’ve posted here, so everyone knows it’s in-progress.)

How’s that sound? Apparently, you’d still have to do a bit of work: I’ll need permissions to create a topic and add posts in https://community.openmr.ai/c/PIMAX-HMD/Pimax-Reviews

13 Likes

Cool will make an adjustment so you can post there.

Complete you should be able to create topics there. Thanks neal

1 Like

Hello acegamer I’m still using my 1080ti and since a recent move needing many expensive projects to fund unfortunately I’ll have to sensibly hold off for awhile but definitely in a few months I’ll be trying to save some money to gain that feature because its to me a must have after hearing about the gained fps.

5 Likes

Your skyrim looks amazing.

6 Likes

Nowadays modding skyrim can all be done by using an auto-installer called Wabbajack. It is a great option for those people who aren’t as knowledgeable on modding skyrim as ALOT can go wrong if you dont know what you are doing. Wabbajack takes all the guess work out of it and offers an amazing experience thats stable with hundreds of mods with only a few actual steps to get it up and running.

Here is the latest readme file on how to get it if you are interested- Read Me - The Ultimate VR Essentials List - Google Docs

10 Likes

Would say test HL-A :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing i have actually heard of that its hard to forget that name but never tried. For me its just old age and faulty memory it is coming back to me although slowly and i’m in the groove now so I’m guessing if i can get to in tomorrow I quickly get back in the 100’s since my entire download history is recorded at Nexus Mods and I can pull it up easily to see what I had used before. bing bam boom kind of thing. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Yes I’ll be doing that very soon good idea i’m curios thinking about it looked so good before i love to look at the details in native 4k especially in a good horror game.

2 Likes