8KX vs 8K+ vs HP Reverb (Macro shots)

Interesting!
This is the first time I see such a dramatic difference due to 8K+ upscaling.

A closer look:

Just for fun: :wink:

Edit: Now, This is a tricky one. Took me probably 2 hours to shoot that HP photo in the middle, among maybe 100 failed shots lol. The HPā€™s poor contrast, moire and weird SDE pattern makes it very very difficult to capture black text on white background with HP Reverb.

Shot with 30mm macro 1:1.25.
All shots are under-exposed of course, to prevent the contrast from killing the blacks.

Download the image and peek at 100%

Next oneā€¦

Not sure why (because its not that obvious every time) but the clarity just came out way better on the 8KX in Assetto Corsa, in every single shotā€¦

31 Likes

@SweViver That Macro shot of the Vive.

b128f37d34529a15630cbe0fa610c54865e84b56e48c76f086a208b0fd6aad01

12 Likes

The 8KX for reading Text is just BEAUTIFUL.

Iā€™m going to be in VR just reading Manga.

@SweViver Have you tried reading comics or Manga in VR? I highly recommend it. For some reason they feel even better in Virtual Desktop since the images donā€™t move like video and you can have an entire image covering your FOV.

I wonder what my experience with the X will be. The 5K+ was already pretty good.

2 Likes

Indeed, 8k+ looks fuzzy
BUT
The upscaler can maybe updated for contrasted colors like this. How is black/white text?

Yupā€¦looks like a typical lcd screen :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Martin @SweViver I havent noticed you talk about the dark colors/blacks in the new ā€œvisionā€ series.
Those good enough to go playing a dark game ? Better than 5k+ ?

4 Likes

I dont find the blacks bad at all in contrasting scenes with my 5k+.

1 Like

Oof hard to say no to that lovely Elite text. What specs are you running to get this? PiTool 1.0, all in-game 1.0 / default?

Million dollar question - average FPS on 8KX and 8k+ with defaults? :wink:

3 Likes

Hi Octofox - weā€™re definitely going to start posting some FPS numbers from Shanghai next week.

10 Likes

It looks sharper zoomed inā€¦ But I guess not on normal view distanceā€¦
Hype ā€¦ Nah I think I go for the 8K+ and save 300 bucksā€¦

Pleas give us a comparision with the actual 5K+ on that levelā€¦

2 Likes

What I wanna know is the FPS/quality comparison against the leading mainstream headsets. Meaning can I get the same (or better) visuals and FPS but with a larger FOV. @PimaxUSA @SweViver

3 Likes

I doubt the FPS side will be better. The quality though is amazing.

1 Like

Barring possible things yet to be revealed, I see zero reason to ā€œsidegradeā€ from a 5k+ or 8k to a 8k+, unless SDE is the single most important matter to oneā€™s sensibilities. It is not going to be able to show significantly more detail (panel physical size might do a tiny bit - donā€™t know the sizes between the three devices - we know the 5k+ already was a bit smaller, bringing more pixels into view, but that was compared to the original 5k I take itā€¦? - So how is its size relative to the 8k, and to the new devices?)

3 Likes

I would guess details are vastly improved.

1 Like

Something to consider is the + has new panels, a higher utilization and the scaler itself is new as well. Itā€™s better than the 5k+ and 8k across the board.

9 Likes

How so? The image that goes from the computer to the headset is still the exact same 1440p one as for the older models. I fail to see how the 8k+ is anything other than a drop-in ā€œrefreshā€ replacement for the 8k, and what the 8k was supposed to be in the first place, after full 4k was dropped (EDIT: ā€¦and before sweviverā€™s macro photos revealed the ā€œfaux kā€ nature of the 8kā€™s display panels).

This is a tricky one. Took me probably 2 hours to shoot that HP photo in the middle, among maybe 100 failed shots lol. The HPā€™s poor contrast, moire and weird SDE pattern makes it very very difficult to capture black text on white background with HP Reverb.

Shot with 30mm macro 1:1.25.
All shots are under-exposed of course, to prevent the contrast from killing the blacks.

Download the image and peek at 100%

12 Likes

All I can see is that the brown sneaky fox went in to the little red ridinghoods alley, drank some cerveza, ate a taco, impregnated her sister and stole her kids and moneys.

1 Like

I was thinking over the 5k sorry

Iā€™m sure. For an entry level Pimax 8k/5k series device it looks the obvious choice, but as an upgrade from a previous one; mwwwā€¦ does it really bring that much new for the money? (already granted: depends on what one value, and how highly) :7

EDIT:

I see you read from the La Vive-a Loca screenshot.

2 Likes