8KX PiMax-OpenXR for MSFS 2020 - A must have!

Apps get added when you start them for the first time.

If your app isn’t showing after you started it once, then your app does not use OpenXR, and therefore cannot use OpenXR Toolkit. What’s the app in question?

@coverman Well, it’s up and working. Kind of. Apps definitely do not add to the list they are supposed to auto-populate. It remains empty no matter how many titles I launch. It’s possible this is due to my games all being installed to a secondary SSD, not my boot drive. And, the only title I’ve gotten to work so far through this method is Dirt Rally 2. But it appears as if there are other issues with that title. (Reported resolution is wrong, visual quality is noticeably degraded, so it’s hard to make a comparison and would likely take hours of twiddling to figure out the issue. For example at 1.25 PiTool quality STEAM VR reports about 10k pixels in width for DR2, but OpenXR reports approx 6k pixels in width when looking at the Upscaling options, or only about 5k pixels in width when looking at the Override Resolution options. I don’t run at that 1.25 quality res, but used it for testing when I noticed such downgraded quality in OpenXR vs. SteamVR in this title. Dash instruments, for example, are vastly degraded through OpenXR.)

Note that I’m not playing with ANY of the advanced features in OpenXR at this point, so no scaling, no FFR, no post-processing. Just seeing which games will launch through it.

Assetto Corsa does not launch for me. I get these error messages. I use Content Manager + CSP + SOL + Rain Effects, so it’s very likely got an incompatibility somewhere:

Here is an error message I get from AC Content Manager:
AC\stereocameraforwardvive.cpp (39): StereoCameraVive::initOpenVR
AC\sim.cpp (2685): Sim::createCamera
AC\sim.cpp (229): Sim::Sim
AC\splashscreen.cpp (319): SplashScreen::postRender
AC\game.cpp (181): Game::onIdle
AC\game.cpp (210): Game::run
AC\acs.cpp (477): wWinMain
f:\dd\vctools\crt\crtw32\dllstuff\crtexe.c (618): __tmainCRTStartup

And here is the PimaxXR Log for that launch:
2022-07-22 11:00:18 -0400: PimaxXR - v0.2.2
2022-07-22 11:00:18 -0400: PVR: 1.23.1
2022-07-22 11:00:18 -0400: Application: OpenComposite_acs; Engine:
2022-07-22 11:00:19 -0400: PVR: 1.23.1
2022-07-22 11:00:19 -0400: Application: OpenComposite_acs; Engine:
2022-07-22 11:00:19 -0400: Requested extension: XR_KHR_D3D11_enable
2022-07-22 11:00:19 -0400: Requested extension: XR_KHR_D3D12_enable
2022-07-22 11:00:19 -0400: Requested extension: XR_KHR_vulkan_enable
2022-07-22 11:00:19 -0400: Requested extension: XR_KHR_visibility_mask
2022-07-22 11:00:19 -0400: Requested extension: XR_KHR_win32_convert_performance_counter_time

TWD reports an Oculus error, Alyx reports a controller error, Star Trek Bridge Crew crashes at launch, etc.

I would be happy to communicate on a different forum and/or send you more info if you wish.

1 Like

I don’t know if Pimax will use any of this. To be honest, looking at their PVR SDK and how close it is to OpenXR, I think I can guess that they have been going in the OpenXR way for a while now. Not sure why they haven’t done an interop runtime like the one I published today.

Take a look at the compatibility list:

AC+CSP does not work with OpenXR Toolkit. CSP does all kind of Direct3D hooking which breaks OpenXR Toolkit. It would work with PimaxXR alone and no OpenXR Toolkit. Or it would work without CSP.

All these issues you’re mentioning are OpenComposite issues, which is not my project. OpenComposite only supports a small number of games, and AFAIK none of the ones you listed are supported.

Are you sure you don’t have Safe mode enabled? You should see at least DR2, since it actually launched.

There are several things that can explain that. SteamVR has its own per-game custom resolution slider. That could have affected the numbers you saw before. Also, beware that the “percentage” or “scale factor” use different units. The numbers in PiTool/SteamVR are pixel count. The numbers in OpenXR Toolkit are percentage of the width.

1 Like

@mbucchia @coverman Thanks for the tips. I’ll try AC again with only PimaxXR Activated and see what happens.

I’ll always be sure to compare like-to-like, so in the DR2 example I did make sure that my Steam VR SS is set to 100%, both overall setting and the app-specific setting. Ultimately, if I can just get this to work with AC that would be great. No way I’ll remove CSP etc. as it’s just too fantastic to ever remove.

OpenXR is not in safe mode. I’ll do a couple basic things I haven’t yet done, like a restart.,… Maybe it’s like PiTool and requires a ‘bit of time’ or a handful of quit/launch sequences to discover apps.

EDIT: Yes, that worked; apps are now added as I launch them - but only after a quit and relaunch, the UI does not auto update for me. Do you know if they somehow fixed DR2 needing PP? I know a few people run without, but it really has to have PP; there are massive lighting issues with the headlights and other light/shadows rendering otherwise (far worse than Skyrim VR without PP, for example.) I ask because the compatibility lists PP as not needed for DR2.

1 Like

You published an interop? Where? I dont understand.

It’s a quote from one of my replies, gone wrong :slight_smile:

Not sure what they meant either.

This could be my mistake.

@DJSlanr (my official compatibility tester :smiley:), I added DR2 to the list after you told me it works, but you had not specified the need for PP. So I assumed it was not needed. What’s your take?

@DJSlanr In my opinion PP is absolutely necessary due to the lighting and shadow issues. You would have to be extremely tolerant of that type of thing to run it without PP.

I repeat, I had guessed that’s what DJSlanr meant. I could have guessed completely wrong :slight_smile:

Yep. No you’re right. Pp only at the moment given that so amny games have this problem. I Ticketedb MSFS for the same thing. But I dint mknd the shadow bugs.

Published =/= referenced or linked, hahah I sinply thought whoa another one?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.